Dual Sport suggestions for short rider? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual Sport suggestions for short rider?

dontgiveajack

Was wondering what some good suggestions for a dual sport might be.

I'm about 5'4", 135lbs. I will mainly be riding roads so it should be comfortable. However, I'd love the option of riding some gravel roads and trails.

Googled around a bit and saw the Kawasaki KLR650. But worried it might be too tall and heavy. Then I saw the DRZ400 but people say it's uncomfortable and really tall. Any other suggestions? tia

All dirt bikes are tall compared to street bikes.

DRZ is probably your best bet but there are other options.

I have a honda xr400 that is good for the street but needs better road tyres. It is much taller than my regular road bikes though.

Was wondering what some good suggestions for a dual sport might be.

I'm about 5'4", 135lbs. I will mainly be riding roads so it should be comfortable. However, I'd love the option of riding some gravel roads and trails.

Googled around a bit and saw the Kawasaki KLR650. But worried it might be too tall and heavy. Then I saw the DRZ400 but people say it's uncomfortable and really tall. Any other suggestions? tia

A KLR650's seat height is around 36", the DRZ even taller at almost 37". What about a Yamaha TW200? It's about 31.5"

BMW X-Country. Short seat height. I can almost flat foot both feet (I am 5'4" and 29" inseam). 70ish mpg.., around 50 hp......can cruise all day long at 140kmh...surprisingly rugged offroad, and almost sportbike nimble onroad.....and weighs what a Ninja 250 does.. with aux fuel you could ride this around the world. I often think about buying one myself.
2009-bmw-g-650-x-country-3_460x0w.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of 250-class choices:
Kawi SUper Sherpa
Yam XT225
Yam XT250
Honda CRF230L

Aside from low seat heights, they're <300lbs.

I would stay away from the DRZ unless you are very comfortable on a bike. I have a buddy that I think is around your height and he couldn't even get on my bike. He purchased a KLR250 and while it's tall for him, he can get on and off it.

BMW X-Country. Short seat height. I can almost flat foot both feet (I am 5'4" and 29" inseam). 70ish mpg.., around 50 hp......can cruise all day long at 140kmh...surprisingly rugged offroad, and almost sportbike nimble onroad.....and weighs what a Ninja 250 does.. with aux fuel you could ride this around the world. I often think about buying one myself.
Damn, I'm practically sold on this bike...

You could also try the DR650 as you can factory lower it 3".

I'll second (third?) the Beemer. My neighbour has one of these (same colour even). He's got a 31" inseam and the bike's 31½" seat height fits him perfectly. His only complaint is that the 9½ liter fuel tank is pitifully small and believe it or not there is NO helmet lock.

I've taken it for a spin and it is LOW (I'm used to my XR650L with a 37" seat height) for something that is supposed to be a dual-sport. I don't think it would be a great bike for boony-bashing but it's a lot more civilized than my pig. Great sounding, torquey motor though, definitely more oomph than the XRL. Would love to drop the motor into my XRL frame!

Keep your eyes open for a used one, I've seen a few on the road.

If the Beemer is too civilized for you try a lowering kit on a KLR650. The XRL can be lowered but I've heard it can negatively affect the handling (plus it makes it much less dirt-worthy). There's lots to choose from in the 250cc-and-under class as well (i.e. XT225).

Good luck!

Daryl

I think BMW G650GS and Suzuki DR650 have lowest seats from currently available dual-sport bikes with displacement 400cc and up (both have lowering option, "factory" or other).
I lowered DR650, it's seat height is about 31" now, and at 5'7" I'm very comfortable, have no problem flat-footing both feet.
I don't think you can get KLR to this height.

Back
Top Bottom