Parking on Islands at Fairview mall | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking on Islands at Fairview mall

Ya, ********* cars take up these spots ALLLL the time :angry7: the problem is these are courtesy spots just like cripple parking and baby momma parking and cant be enforced by ssecurity but by us......

Disabled parking spaces ARE enforceable.
Here in Richmond Hill:
Park in a disabled parking space without a permit
Fine: $300

Note: In accordance with the "Ontarians With Disabilities Act"

However, designated parking spots that malls have as a courtesy for Motorcycles, "Expectant Mothers", "Family", "Green Vehicles", etc are not enforceable. I heard one legal analyst sum it up, "You can't legislate and enforce courtesy".

Disabled parking spaces ARE enforceable.
Here in Richmond Hill:
Park in a disabled parking space without a permit
Fine: $300

Note: In accordance with the "Ontarians With Disabilities Act"

However, designated parking spots that malls have as a courtesy for Motorcycles, "Expectant Mothers", "Family", "Green Vehicles", etc are not enforceable. I heard one legal analyst sum it up, "You can't legislate and enforce courtesy".

you can still get the "park on private property w/o owner's permission" ticket

which ranges from $30-40 in the GTA

They can also tow you.

Went to fairview mall to watch a movie with some friends and i just got a $250 ticket 3 hours ago, for parking in a fire route *facepalm*, the bike was easily over 15 feet away from the ****ing thing and also i dont understand the logic the ticketers use when actually "affixing" the ticket on the bike.... this stupid yellow paper was shoved right ontop of my tankbag for the wind to blow it away or some random person to just grab it... the slightest pull or push would have tossed the paper off my bike, in that case what would i have done? how in the hell would i know that i got a ticket? is there anyway to fight such claims in court? i say this because its my first infraction of any kind be it parking or driving... also i dont even have $250 :p any help would be greatly appreciated, i thought my problem would fall under this thread so hope all the info helps :)

If it was a ticket for parking in a fire route, then it's likely a city ticket. The instructions on how to fight it should be on the reverse side.

yup, read the back, i was just wondering if there is any advice you guys can share about fighting the ticket :)

yup, read the back, i was just wondering if there is any advice you guys can share about fighting the ticket :)

Apart from all of the regular stuff in the fighting your ticket thread, get pictures. If there's any chance that the sign didn't apply to the area that you were actually parked in, then dated pictures will support it.

Apart from all of the regular stuff in the fighting your ticket thread, get pictures. If there's any chance that the sign didn't apply to the area that you were actually parked in, then dated pictures will support it.
do these Parking Enforcement dudes take their own pix too?
I see them do this on the TV show "Parking Wars" ...
Good luck with the ticket.

I did not see the guy taking pictures when he was ticketing the bike (on my original post) but if I run into them at some point I will ask.

thanks man, i was wondering the exact same thing, or else its just our word against theirs right?

If you want to be a mall security guard, you have to be narrow minded, lack all logic and common sense, and be rude while trying to bully people around.
In general, they are just angry because they failed high sKool.
Most bar bouncers are more professional.

Well that seems uncalled for...I was a mall cop for almost 2 years and I'm still a bouncer when I can get paid cash. I assure you I graduated HS (and am in University) and your generalization is far from the truth (based on the guys I know and have worked with).

As far as the ticket, I have my MLEO certification in Toronto and York Region, the ticket is always a "real ticket" but I would recommend not paying it. Depending on how much of a supercop the guy was the ticket may have never even been sent to the city, or he may have made some glaring error which are all too common and easy to make. If it comes up on your renewal I'd be surprised.

Armen, fight the ticket. There's probably mall security camera stills you can ask for in court if it comes to it, but in my experience courts love to throw out tickets written by security guards. If you get the short end of the stick, at most malls, the ENTIRE stretch in front of the entrances/sidewalk is a fire route.

Last edited:
Well that seems uncalled for...I was a mall cop for almost 2 years and I'm still a bouncer when I can get paid cash. I assure you I graduated HS (and am in University) and your generalization is far from the truth (based on the guys I know and have worked with).

You must be that one "legit" guy per hundred.
Sounds like you are doing ok, maybe you can help the rest of them with their attitude.

I did see few times a security patrol unit in a private lot downtown taking pics when tagging. It is an acceptable form of proof I think if they attached to their notes.

Yamaha vstar 650 midnight custom

As far as the ticket, I have my MLEO certification in Toronto and York Region, the ticket is always a "real ticket" but I would recommend not paying it. Depending on how much of a supercop the guy was the ticket may have never even been sent to the city, or he may have made some glaring error which are all too common and easy to make. If it comes up on your renewal I'd be surprised.

Armen, fight the ticket. There's probably mall security camera stills you can ask for in court if it comes to it, but in my experience courts love to throw out tickets written by security guards. If you get the short end of the stick, at most malls, the ENTIRE stretch in front of the entrances/sidewalk is a fire route.

I read this as:

"Mall cops are smart, but we still can't write tickets properly even after training"

:D I kid! hehe

I read this as:

"Mall cops are smart, but we still can't write tickets properly even after training"

:D I kid! hehe

Lol, I don't know if you even deal with minor tickets but you must know how convoluted and different the requirements are on the ones we send in vs. the ones Parking Enforcement gives. Either way, quite often the property manager will cancel the "private property" tickets if the person comes and speaks to her. The only ones we give out and don't take back are fire route (at my site anyway).

Now I think about it most of the middle aged mall cops I know are kind of ********. But as someone pointed out, we have to take incredible amounts of CRAP from people day in day out. Most (read: all) of the younger guys myself included want to get into Law Enforcement. The older guys have usually missed their shot or can't get in.

Last edited:
With regards to fire route tickets: it may be of use to some of you to know that many property managers post "Fire Route" signs in areas that are not required fire routes under the Ontario Fire Code. As such, considering the amount of money you could be out paying them, it may be worthwhile to investigate if it's actually a required fire route or just a case of the property management using those signs to restrict parking.

With regards to fire route tickets: it may be of use to some of you to know that many property managers post "Fire Route" signs in areas that are not required fire routes under the Ontario Fire Code. As such, considering the amount of money you could be out paying them, it may be worthwhile to investigate if it's actually a required fire route or just a case of the property management using those signs to restrict parking.

Then the site should not be certified and a private ticket would be issued instead of municipal ones I think. But I can be wrong, this was ages ago. Glad didn't turn out a middle aged ***** mall cop :)

Yamaha vstar 650 midnight custom

Thanks brother, thats exactly what im doing :) waiting for a court date at this point, will update after court session :D

Back
Top Bottom