Parking on Islands at Fairview mall | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking on Islands at Fairview mall

el_felo

Site Supporter
So today I was having a beer and wings at St. Louis at Fairview, noticed a guy on a bike park just on the concrete island in front of the restaurant and run into the mall. Few minutes later as I was walking out a "Mall Security" is writing him a ticket, he was already placing it on the bike. I approach the guy and asked him why he was doing that and he started referencing some Ontario Law which i did not care about. I told him the reason I asked was because I also ride and I usually take a parking spot and find drivers dislike this because we take such a small space, and parking on the island will leave a parking spot open for another customer to access the mall, he said "this is not a parking spot and you cant park here, take the parking spot all for yourself we don't care, you are doing a good thing by taking a full parking spot".

So just a heads up this was a real ticket or it seem like a real one, so stay off the islands at Fairview mall, park at a parking spot, if you ride as a group take one parking spot each so the "Security Mall" has no excuses to tag you.

Just saying.
A

who cares what drivers like or dislike? take a spot, it's your right. if you did everything drivers liked you wouldn't be riding.

I know, I know.. I was trying to make up an excuse to see what he would say about it. I always take a parking spot and will keep on doing it rain or shine.

Mall security doesn't have the authority to issue city parking tickets so you don't have to pay them and they won't affect your license renewal... AFAIK. They can, however, send the ticket to collections to come after you. I don't know whether this would have any impact on your credit history (would be interested to know). Whether they would do this or not over a few bucks is the gamble. Doesn't stop me either.

The mall cop was likely just bored and wanted to exercise his "authority".

I've always wondered about this at Scarborough Town Center.. In front of forever 21 theres that huge island where I use to always see bikes parked before I started riding. Last time I went I didnt see any bikes there so I didnt park, just in case. Its an awesome parking spot as its close to the mall entrance and idiots in their cars cant really knock it over. It's also in a busy area so less chance of a white van pulling up.

Mall security doesn't have the authority to issue city parking tickets so you don't have to pay them and they won't affect your license renewal... AFAIK. They can, however, send the ticket to collections to come after you. I don't know whether this would have any impact on your credit history (would be interested to know). Whether they would do this or not over a few bucks is the gamble. Doesn't stop me either.

if a mall security guard is authorized by the city to do so, they can write city of toronto parking tickets.
last i heard, most mall security guards in toronto do in fact have this authority.

I've always wondered about this at Scarborough Town Center.. In front of forever 21 theres that huge island where I use to always see bikes parked before I started riding. Last time I went I didnt see any bikes there so I didnt park, just in case. Its an awesome parking spot as its close to the mall entrance and idiots in their cars cant really knock it over. It's also in a busy area so less chance of a white van pulling up.

I always park there too, but as far away from the fire hydrant as possible.

if a mall security guard is authorized by the city to do so, they can write city of toronto parking tickets.
last i heard, most mall security guards in toronto do in fact have this authority.

Oh, ok I stand corrected. Probably still won't stop me from parking there :D

They can also issue trespass notices, which could be even worse to deal with.

Yes they do, it is an 8 hours course in the parking enforcement HQ in don mills and York mills, it is called a tagging license and I did have one before (10 years ago). However they limit the reasons you can tag for to 2 or 3. We didn't tag citing city rules, we tagged citing the private property act IIRC. We could only tag in certified sites by the city (most malls are certified). And pke can come and tag in those sites if they wanted to, I got tagged for parking in the fire route while issuing tags myself (poetic justice I know). If it was a yellow ticket with the city of Toronto header, then you have to pay it. If it was a white ticket, you don't have to pay it but they will harass you to pay it by the collection agency.

Yes they do, it is an 8 hours course in the parking enforcement HQ in don mills and York mills, it is called a tagging license and I did have one before (10 years ago). However they limit the reasons you can tag for to 2 or 3. We didn't tag citing city rules, we tagged citing the private property act IIRC. We could only tag in certified sites by the city (most malls are certified). And pke can come and tag in those sites if they wanted to, I got tagged for parking in the fire route while issuing tags myself (poetic justice I know). If it was a yellow ticket with the city of Toronto header, then you have to pay it. If it was a white ticket, you don't have to pay it but they will harass you to pay it by the collection agency.

Good to know, thanks for the info! What about parking in the lot but on those yellow striped areas that aren't really spots?

I say the guy parked on the center island so idiot drivers don't cream his bike in a regular spot.
Most malls have lots of extra space where they could put moto-specific parking, but that would mean someone would be doing their job correctly in Ontario, and that just won't do. :razz:

If you want to be a mall security guard, you have to be narrow minded, lack all logic and common sense, and be rude while trying to bully people around.
In general, they are just angry because they failed high sKool.
Most bar bouncers are more professional.

Good to know, thanks for the info! What about parking in the lot but on those yellow striped areas that aren't really spots?

Striped areas are generally signed as no parking, or as fire routes. As a result you could get an even worse ticket.

who cares what drivers like or dislike? take a spot, it's your right. if you did everything drivers liked you wouldn't be riding.

sure its your right, but parking on the island harms no one and helps everyone.

remember that incident where someone with a cbr125r parked in a spot at pacific mall and people literally moved the bike out of the way?

remember that incident where someone with a cbr125r parked in a spot at pacific mall and people literally moved the bike out of the way?

lol agreed. In a busy lot it's just a courtesy that would be win-win if it weren't for the pointless tickets.

About the stripes, I was referring to the spots at the end of some rows. Usually when the roadway is somewhat curved and there isn't space to paint another full spot. I've never seen them signed.

They generally stop doing that when an alarm goes off.

The mall in Waterloo actually has motorcycle/scooter/ebike parking. And it's close to the entrance. It's nice I wish that they had these spots everywhere.

The private property act based tickets are something like "parking a vehicle on private property without consent", that makes it a multi purpose type ticket unlike "expired meter" or "invalid sticker" which are very specific tickets.

The site has to be certified in order to enforce parking regulations, most likely those spots will be labelled, signed, or otherwise not enforced. If you get a ticket challenge it if there were no signs.

I personally won't park on the shaded areas/spots.

Back
Top Bottom