back tire sliding -> normal? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

back tire sliding -> normal?

This will also happen when going around a corner with a decent lean angle and the back tire goes over tar snakes. I can feel my back tire slide every time it hits a tar snake in a corner.

This will also happen when going around a corner with a decent lean angle and the back tire goes over tar snakes. I can feel my back tire slide every time it hits a tar snake in a corner.

Those tar snakes are nasty.

lol you guys are haters!
i dont look like the people shown in the video lol im not sure how to describe my riding position...comfy?
i checked tires today, they were at 34 front and 36 rear, i left them un touched.

i have a 91 honda f2 which is ~450lbs
im 160lbs

when i posted this thread, i was very new to riding, but lately i havent noticed it happening. maybe it was just in my head, or maybe the roads are warming up?

A quick Google search shows that for your bike, the Honda recommended tire pressure is 36 PSI front and 42 PSI rear.
Checking your tire pressure should be the first thing you do specially after winter storage and you should check your tires frequently, I check mine's once a week and some might argue that you might need to do it more than that.

Probably the road conditions. The psi your running is fine, if you 2up or load up to tour then bump up your rear to the max reccomended.

A quick Google search shows that for your bike, the Honda recommended tire pressure is 36 PSI front and 42 PSI rear.
Are you sure that's "recommended" and not "maximum"? Got a link for your source?

-Jamie M.

My 2 cents are that it's the suspension and not the tire slipping at all.

My 2 cents are that it's the suspension and not the tire slipping at all.

I'm with Him ^^^

Sounds to me like you where just hitting little cracks and bumps and "in your head" it felt like your rear end was slipping.

if it all of a sudden stopped, it's just because you got comfier and now your more relaxed and not trying to notice everything your bike is doing when your riding.

I have to be pretty heavy handed with the throttle to get the rear to step out, and I have a few more hp than you do.
Definitively start with tire pressure, too hard won't feel so planted on rough surfaces, your suspension if at stock settings is probably fine.

Besides the good sound mechanical advice offered here (nuts, bolts, fluids etc)

toysareforboys;1781237 Also make sure your suspension is set correctly. Look at some youtube videos on setting sag/preload and/or take it to a professional. A properly setup suspension REALLY make the bike feel planted over bumps in the corners. -Jamie M.[/QUOTE said:
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1. Check your tire pressures. Contact the manufacture directly for what they recommend for tire pressure.

Everyone on here will give you different numbers ..

and this^^^^^^^^. Ignore anyone on here quoting tire pressure numbers to you. As the boi says, consult your TIRE manufacturer. All tires are different.

And asking is always cheaper than crashing.

That's the recommended PSI Honda gave for my 2002 F4i and is still the same for my 2011 600RR. It's in the manual.

Do you still have the same tire that came as OEM??(probably not)

If you don't, manual information is not relevant.

The TIRE manufacturer will also have much different pressure recommendations for their tires than the BIKE manufacturers do.

This has been proven on a number of occasions.

Besides the good sound mechanical advice offered here (nuts, bolts, fluids etc)

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

and this^^^^^^^^. Ignore anyone on here quoting tire pressure numbers to you. As the boi says, consult your TIRE manufacturer. All tires are different.

And asking is always cheaper than crashing.
Why would he consult the tire manufacturer?
Bike tire pressures are recommended by the bike manufacturer for that specific bike, not by the tire manufacturer.

Why would he consult the tire manufacturer?
Bike tire pressures are recommended by the bike manufacturer for that specific bike, not by the tire manufacturer.

Because every manufacturer builds tires slightly different, the Owners manual recommendations are for the OEM tire.

If the OEM tire is replaced with a different brand of tire, that OEM recommended pressure is no longer relevant.

It has also been show that the BIKE manufacturer will recommend different pressures than the tire manufacturer, even for the OEM tire

Bike manufacterer's recommend a pressure that will ensure the bike will handle maximum load, this does not result in the best performance(36front, 42 rear)

almost all tire manufacturers recommend a LOWER rear pressure than front pressure.

That's the recommended PSI Honda gave for my 2002 F4i and is still the same for my 2011 600RR. It's in the manual.
Hmmm. Downloading 2011 600RR manual now...

-Jamie M.

Do you still have the same tire that came as OEM??(probably not)

If you don't, manual information is not relevant.

The TIRE manufacturer will also have much different pressure recommendations for their tires than the BIKE manufacturers do.

This has been proven on a number of occasions.

Yes I still have the OEM tire.

Reciprocity is right. They calculate for max load.

From 08 ZX6R manual:

Air Pressure (when Cold):
Front Up to 180 kg (397 lb) load:
250 kPa (2.5 kgf/cm², 36 psi)
– – –
Rear Up to 180 kg (397 lb) load:
290 kPa (2.9 kgf/cm², 42 psi)

Back
Top Bottom