back tire sliding -> normal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

back tire sliding -> normal?

biker122

so once again, im very new to motorcycles..and sorry if this has already been asked a million times.

ive noticed that on sharper turns, it feels like the back tire is slipping out or wiggling around a bit. kinda feels like the sides of the tire have lube on them cuz i dont notice the wiggle when riding upright at all.

im not braking or changing gears. just light acceleration. maybe im thinking too hard, or maybe the wheel is just going off a bump in the road and being slightly displaced. just wanna hear ur thoughts.

is this normal?

If your wheels are cold... Don't take turns sharply... Your wheel WILL slip out from under you...

- Randy

use a bit more throttle during the turn.

If your wheels are cold... Don't take turns sharply... Your wheel WILL slip out from under you...

- Randy

^+1! true story, happened to me....0 degrees out, making my 4th turn, both wheels and pavement cold, turned too sharp, rear wheel sliped out, lowsided....happened to keith too on the forums and he has his on video. so becareful !

Check your tire pressure, you will get this affect if the pressure is low.
+1... I run with 28 in the rear and it feels like it's going to slide out on me at every lean in, but damn she sticks like glue, so I pretend it's all in my mind ;)

Also make sure your suspension is set correctly. Look at some youtube videos on setting sag/preload and/or take it to a professional. A properly setup suspension REALLY make the bike feel planted over bumps in the corners.

-Jamie M.

You run track pressures on the street?

Valintino Rossi over here lol. Just kidding!

Be smoother on the opening the throttle
A pro would tel you that when you open and close the throttle, your suspension should never become 'upset'. In other words, when you open the throttle to accelerate, you shouldn't feel a big lunge with your bike, your suspension should feel 'settled'.
I bet when your at full lean you don't 'crack' open the throttle, you just 'open' it. If you are abrupt at this point then your rear might come loose.
Same goes with getting off the throttle, if your doing it right then the transfer from acceleration into engine breaking shouldn't compress your front forks much at all (if any if your super super smooth).
Aka work on sliding the throttle opened and closed a lot slower and smoooootttthhhherrrr.

Also look farther through your turns

Or your gunning it when your tires are cold. But as a new rider, I bet it has something to do with not being smooth. Too unlikely that it has to do with speed seeing as your not braking in turns etc etc

Last edited:
Is rear axle tight?

More than once I have seen a rider adjust the chain and forget to torque rear axle back up.

Last edited:
which bike?
didnt happen to me on the 250 very much. happens a lot on the sv650.
but yea.. theres lots of factors like everyone is saying. cold roads, tires, not being smooth, not right tire pressure. even the axle. one time i forgot to tighten up the axle after putting the wheel back in. apply a little rear brake and the rear starts to fishtail like no tomorow. glad i caught that in time.
im a noob though, so i dont know ****!

Do all the easy stuff:
-Adjust your riding on colder days (with colder tires)
-Check tire pressure, I use 34 front 36 back on both my bikes

If all else fails get your suspension set up for your weight and style of riding at a reputable shop like Pro 6.

sick! guys* thank you so much for the insights.
i never checked my tire pressure after winter so i guess ill do that first.
cold roads could be a factor --> but maybe not tires cuz this happens after tires are warmed up as well
and i think suspension is a big factor too cuz the bike is definately not "planted" over bumps.

bottom line: im glad im not the only one with this problem and nothing serious wrong with my bike

Based on that statement, I'm gonna go with the whole "It's your tire pressure" suggestion (and as another poster noted, check your manual to see what is the optimal PSI for your specific bike/tire combo).

ditto with tire pressure. It should be checked frequently, and when the tires are cold.

check if you have any fluid leaks also from the shock or rear brake resevoir. had my shock blow a seal once all over my rear tire while braking off the Fabi straight, good thing the dragstrip run-off was right there.

Surprised no one suggested you're on the rear brake without knowing? You could be pressing it when pushing down on the peg.

Could it be new tires with dirt on them ? like oil or crap.. new bikes usually have bad tires and are dirty...

cold roads could be a factor --> but maybe not tires cuz this happens after tires are warmed up as well
and i think suspension is a big factor too cuz the bike is definately not "planted" over bumps.

bottom line: im glad im not the only one with this problem and nothing serious wrong with my bike

My PSI predictions: 18 front, 22 rear.

Let us know what their at before you pump them up! :)

Back
Top Bottom