Rebel 250 in Burlington | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rebel 250 in Burlington

kgreen

There's the answer to two important questions... What do you ride? and Where do you ride?

Actually, I don't ride... yet. But I'm working on it.

I've wanted to ride for a long time. Since I was a kid, really. It's always been a passion but I've always made excuses as to why I couldn't do it. Too young. No money. College. No money. First job. No money. Got married. She spent all my money. Moved to Burlington, bought a house and had kids. All my money goes to them now. But damn it... I turn 40 this year! And I'm going to make it happen for myself!

So, last fall, I found a bike. It was just the one that I wanted. Not too big. Not too fast. Not too expensive (remember, no money)... A used 1999 Honda Rebel for $1650. Sold! I took a buddy with me that has a trailer hitch and knows a thing or two about bikes. He gave it a test drive and a thumbs up so we loaded it on a U-haul motorcycle trailer and hauled it back to Burlington Cycle where it's been since... waiting for me to come and bring it home. (No room in the garage to store it over the winter)

Actually buying the bike was what pushed me over the fence and made me book my motorcycle training course at Sheridan College. So, I bought some gear and booked my course. Took the course last weekend and loved it! It was really cold and miserable but it was still exciting. I aced my skill eval at the end... perfect score! Never rode a bike before! :)

Now, I'm just waiting for some nice weather so I can bring it home. Cleaning out the garage tomorrow to make room.

Cheers!

Awesome story. Mine is similar except I was 48 when I took the plunge last summer. My wife took the course as well and we now have 2 motorcycles. A 2003 Virago 250 (Hers though I rode it all last fall) and a 1997 Virago 1100S (Mine and already rode 2000 kms since February) I'm in Mount Hope, just south of Hamilton.

Lots of great riding weather already this year. Even if it's cold, I just add more layers. I have to ride, I just can't help it.

Welcome to the club!!

Chris

Welcome to GTAM.
Your story is a familiar one from beginning to end and I had to laugh out loud when you said "Got married.She spent all my money". its like deja vu :?
Good luck with the bike and have fun.

Went down to see Neil Jr at BC today to pick out my saddle bags. Got to see my bike again as we tried to find bags small enough to fit the rebel. Said they'll have the bags on and the bike cleaned up and ready for me this week. Cleaned out the man cave today... Can't wait! :)

Welcome!!
Wheelie.gif

Welcome. great weather is just around the corner. have fun and ride safe!!

I tooled around the GO train parking lot for a bit and then cautiously road it home. Very cool.

I passed another bike going up Walkers but I was so 'busy' I totally forgot to wave. I have to work on that.

I have to get some gloves that don't make my hands sweat so much. It was really nice out and I ended up having to ride without them.

Last edited:
Oh and one more thing....

If you see an idiot riding around Burlington with his turn signal always on, that's likely me.

I can't seem to get into the habit of canceling the signal and I'm too busy looking at the road to notice the light blinking at me. It happened so many times yesterday as I practiced around the neighborhood.

I've got 3 different pairs of gloves now. A mesh and leather ICON pair for warm weather. A full leather pair for when it's a bit cooler and a winter pair.

As for waving, it's a courtesy but not mandatory, wait until riding becomes second nature and requires less concentration.
The signals will become second nature as well with practice.

Ride safe, and enjoy the beautiful weather!

Mapleview Mall is great for practicing, as there's almost everything there you would need to practice on: A hill, for practicing starting from a stop, a road that runs along the back of the mall with lots of areas to practice turning, entering a roadway, and your lane position. I had a bit of trouble at first, turning onto a roadway and going too wide. I went there Saturday mornings at 7:00 to avoid having to come home in the heavier traffic. Didn't take long before I was fine with even that.

I tooled around the GO train parking lot for a bit and then cautiously road it home. Very cool.

I passed another bike going up Walkers but I was so 'busy' I totally forgot to wave. I have to work on that.

I have to get some gloves that don't make my hands sweat so much. It was really nice out and I ended up having to ride without them.

Amazing story indeed- Congrats on getting your rebel home!

I also got the signal problem- but im in mississauga- good thing we're spread out geographically, we would cause some serious traffic chaos otherwise :)
Welcome!

Rode my bike to work for the first time today. The weather report was sketchy but I did it anyways. Luckily I'm only about 10 mins away. A little grid lock on Upper Middle but not bad. I cut through the burbs now instead of sticking to the main roads... More fun that way. :)
40e73308-afc2-0d09.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336192802.755256.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336192802.755256.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'll be riding mine to work soon too. I'll have a 30 minute drive along Lakeshore into Mississauga. I'm still waiting for the promise of better weather ;)

FINE CC

They teach it to you in the course. I'm pretty good about remembering it and doing the checks before I roll but today I didn't do it. Got out of the parking lot before the gas ran out. Was able to pull over to the side of the road and checked the tank... Yep, there's gas in there... So what was wrong? I had forgotten to check the fuel switch. Duh!

Still forgetting to turn off the bloody blinker as well. Oh well. it's only day three.

Back
Top Bottom