Riding with a stunt cage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding with a stunt cage

Holmes

Ok for those of you with experience... I want to get a stunt cage for my '11 gsxr, either SI or Impaktek. I still want to ride the bike as I do now, lots of twisties and up north riding. Will the cage get in the way?

I have heard of them bottoming out but from the pics of the cages, I don't see how thats possible. Any tips from your own experience would be great.

Should the stunt cage not work out then I will go with a 2 point "street" cage.

Hey Man, a few of the guys in our crew ride with the cages. They won't touch the ground unless your taking that baby to the track and putting the knee down :)

Hey Man, a few of the guys in our crew ride with the cages. They won't touch the ground unless your taking that baby to the track and putting the knee down :)

Ok cool, cuz I'm not one of those chicken strip riders! But I don't do the track. I am worried about getting to the edge of my tires once I get this cage.

Impaktek makes a" street cage" look into that, you might find it better for your application.
Ok cool, cuz I'm not one of those chicken strip riders! But I don't do the track. I am worried about getting to the edge of my tires once I get this cage.

All depends on what kind of lean angles you get on the street...On the track my friend was scraping the engine covers, and I was scraping the rear brake lever before I got rearsets to raise it.... so in that case a stunt cage is going to bottom out a few inches earlier...

Also some cages are worse then others for available lean angle...Tyger Shark offers good clearance but they are really heavy compared to most tubular cages...Impaktech is pretty good on the 03/04 but on the 05/06 my friend bottomed out all the time drifting when he first got it...For that it depends on if it has a lower cross brace, and where it is located...That is why a street cage will give you more clearance, as they have no lower cross brace and no tubes below the main upper tube

This should give you a rough idea of available lean, its a Tyger Shark on my 03/04...Thats bottoming at the bottom cross brace, so if you get that much lean your already going down at that point
1124.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget that in reality when you are cornering hard, the suspension is compressed (by a lot - more than the static loading when upright), and in the photo above, the suspension is probably topped out from being nearly unloaded. It makes a substantial difference.

As long as nothing grounds out before the footpegs in the stock locations, you should be OK. The fiberglass lower fairing on my race bike has scrape marks from cornering on it. I think that's from mid-corner bumps.

But I do know of someone who had a stunt cage ground out on the Cherohala Skyway, resulting in the bike going down, hitting the guardrail, and going over the edge ... He had been warned ...

You should decide if you want to do more street riding or stunting. Like JohnnyP636 said, there are street cages with no cross brace so you should be fine if you opt for that but it wont be considered "full" stunt protection.

So I ordered a Impaktech Street cage. $250 shipped from Cali, just waiting on it now. To be honest Son from Impaktech is very hard to deal with (just a heads up). I'll post back when I get the cage.

So I ordered a Impaktech Street cage. $250 shipped from Cali, just waiting on it now. To be honest Son from Impaktech is very hard to deal with (just a heads up). I'll post back when I get the cage.

did you just email the person? I found it hard to find info on their page... cuz all it seems to be is a myspace page? I never used myspace. I was a bit weary since they didn't seem to have a proper online store, but many people have impaktech cages so they must be legit.

grats on the order, post pics later!

did you just email the person? I found it hard to find info on their page... cuz all it seems to be is a myspace page? I never used myspace. I was a bit weary since they didn't seem to have a proper online store, but many people have impaktech cages so they must be legit.

grats on the order, post pics later!

Yea I emailed him, plus a follow up call. I was warned that he has bad customer service but I want that damn cage!
impaktechusa@gmail.com
951-809-2473

Back
Top Bottom