Procedure to buying used parts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Procedure to buying used parts

wagmar

Okay so after our chat in the other topic about buying parts I came up with a little procedure.

>Only meet @ sellers home...ask to come in for a coffee ( this way if its stolen you know where he lives )
>Ask for a typed out bill of sale, two copies signed, one for him one for you ( proof of purchase of your brake lines or what ever part it is)
>Make them show you ownership of the bike that hes selling the parts off and double check the vins on his bike
>Tripple check buy calling a dealer/ DMV to run the vin
>Ask for his drivers license and snap a picture of it.
>Ask to have a picture taken of the two of you exchanging the parts and shaking hands ( that way you have even more proof that he was the previous owner of the brake lines)
>And then when you leave mention to them that if these parts are stolen you will directly point the police to him.

>Then expect nobody else in the gta or stuntride forum to ever sell you used parts again.
>Then go out and start buying all brand new OEM parts from your manufacture....ask for bill of sale of course.

Just some tips that a few track guys inspired me to come up with.

Happy Hump day folks.

Okay so after our chat in the other topic about buying parts I came up with a little procedure.

>Only meet @ sellers home...ask to come in for a coffee ( this way if its stolen you know where he lives )
>Ask for a typed out bill of sale, two copies signed, one for him one for you ( proof of purchase of your brake lines or what ever part it is)
>Make them show you ownership of the bike that hes selling the parts off and double check the vins on his bike
>Tripple check buy calling a dealer/ DMV to run the vin
>Ask for his drivers license and snap a picture of it.
>Ask to have a picture taken of the two of you exchanging the parts and shaking hands ( that way you have even more proof that he was the previous owner of the brake lines)
>And then when you leave mention to them that if these parts are stolen you will directly point the police to him.

>Then expect nobody else in the gta or stuntride forum to ever sell you used parts again.
>Then go out and start buying all brand new OEM parts from your manufacture....ask for bill of sale of course.

Just some tips that a few track guys inspired me to come up with.

Happy Hump day folks.

I'm pretty sure they all just mentioned using.....wait for it.......Common Sense!!!! :laughing3:

I'm pretty sure they all just mentioned using.....wait for it.......Common Sense!!!! :laughing3:

uhhh using? Im pretty sure before "using" a part you need to purchase it? duhhhh wait for it.....duhhhh

hope you all understand that was sarcasm...all in fun.

Where can I purchase common sense? and how do I make sure it wasn't stolen...?
I think I may have some stolen common sense on my ride, what should I do?

I think you forgot to ask what his SIN# is and the names of children and what school they go to.

Or you could just not buy bikes with ground down VIN numbers, and/or re-stamped with less digits then VIN numbers actually contain...An ownership would probably be a good idea to have with it also...

Common sense doesn't seem to be too common around here

Or you could just not buy bikes with ground down VIN numbers, and/or re-stamped with less digits then VIN numbers actually contain...An ownership would probably be a good idea to have with it also...

Common sense doesn't seem to be too common around here

How dare you introduce sound reasoning and logic into this thread!!!!!!111111111oneoenoneoneoneoneone

I think if you requested all this from me for just selling you a motorcycle part; I would tell you that your money is not worth the hassle and walk away.

Figures that someone would swing the pendulum too far in the other direction.

Each vehicle gets a nice big yellow envelope with something identifying it (like the VIN) on the outside. That's the file for this vehicle. It exists as long as the vehicle exists (but is kept separately from the vehicle in case it catches fire, etc) and when the vehicle changes hands (i.e. you sell it) you give that file to the next owner. What they do with it from that point on is their problem. First thing that goes in that file is the paperwork from buying the vehicle. If you buy it at a dealer, it's the bill of sale. If you buy it used, it's a photocopy of the ownership and the UVIP and the sales agreement, which need not be typed or anything formal, but does need to identify the VIN, the identity of both the buyer and the seller, the date, the price, etc.

As things happen to the vehicle, a receipt gets shoved into that envelope for each thing that happens to it.

If you are buying something from Ebay etc, pay with a credit card and keep the receipt/statement and shove it in that envelope. Simple.

If you are buying from a physical store then keep the receipt/statement and shove it in the envelope. Equally simple.

If you get a maintenance service done at a dealer or shop then shove the receipt in that envelope.

If you buy something from an individual then write up a simple sales receipt. Need not be typed. Need not go overboard. DOES need to identify who that individual is and what the thing you are buying is, so that if a question comes up at some point in the future, there is a paper trail. Shove a copy of that into the envelope.

Common sense dictates that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and is best not touched. No paperwork = no deal, also.

"Due diligence". Understand the meaning of that term.

Each vehicle gets a nice big yellow envelope with something identifying it (like the VIN) on the outside. That's the file for this vehicle. It exists as long as the vehicle exists (but is kept separately from the vehicle in case it catches fire, etc) and when the vehicle changes hands (i.e. you sell it) you give that file to the next owner. What they do with it from that point on is their problem. First thing that goes in that file is the paperwork from buying the vehicle. If you buy it at a dealer, it's the bill of sale. If you buy it used, it's a photocopy of the ownership and the UVIP and the sales agreement, which need not be typed or anything formal, but does need to identify the VIN, the identity of both the buyer and the seller, the date, the price, etc.

As things happen to the vehicle, a receipt gets shoved into that envelope for each thing that happens to it.

If you are buying something from Ebay etc, pay with a credit card and keep the receipt/statement and shove it in that envelope. Simple.

If you are buying from a physical store then keep the receipt/statement and shove it in the envelope. Equally simple.

If you get a maintenance service done at a dealer or shop then shove the receipt in that envelope.

If you buy something from an individual then write up a simple sales receipt. Need not be typed. Need not go overboard. DOES need to identify who that individual is and what the thing you are buying is, so that if a question comes up at some point in the future, there is a paper trail. Shove a copy of that into the envelope.

Common sense dictates that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and is best not touched. No paperwork = no deal, also.

I thought I was the only one that was this anal about his vehicles. Glad to know I'm not alone.

wish I was this organized. I buy stuff for cash from stores they don't give me a receipt. I sent internet transfers for parts but don't print anything out because all it shows is I gave someone money. do you really need to keep track on every part on your bike?

I make stuff for my bikes, how do I prove that??

I sell a lot of parts from a lot of different bikes. all the bikes come from auction with irreparable titles. If I was to label every part it would take too much time and then my prices would be higher and I wouldn't sell anything. I have a box of bolts/spacers/nuts/clips/rubbers/brackets, I need to write a receipt for every little part I sell with VIN numbers on it?

That's a different situation.

The labour involved in keeping track of all the little stuff is offset against the risk of the cops coming around if you've bought something shady and seizing whatever they think was obtained in an improper manner.

If you're buying bikes with legit titles then it isn't likely to be a big issue for you. I wouldn't keep track of every screw, either - it's too labour intensive. But for major parts, I'd keep a log on a spreadsheet of who bought what parts and what bike they came from. If you're running this like a business, you need to be keeping track of your customers anyway.

For my own business (different line of work but same concept applies), I have a simple spreadsheet with columns for my job number, the customer name, the job name, the date the quotation went out, the purchase order number, the status of the job ("Quoted", "waiting for customer", "in process", "complete", etc), invoice number and date, and whether we've been paid. Same sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom