In vehicle Dash Cams? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In vehicle Dash Cams?

Bought this one Friday. Tried it out yesterday. Meh. Controls are not easy to figure out. I thought it might have decent night video because of rhe lights on the front, but not sure why they didn't come on. Like someone posted earlier in this thread, keeps doing 2 min loops. The instructions that came with it suck. Gonna try and figure out more today. Otherwise it will be delegated to a rear camera. Save your money, imo. Iirc BestBuy has original Dash Cam on for $70.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Anyone have an idea on how to work the cam I bought? It says menu>scroll>ok to select an item. There's no effing ok button! ?

Except that when it comes to the general public, it starts bleeding into areas of self-incrimination. You cannot be compelled to give evidence against yourself nor can answers that you give in a case involving another be used against you, when you are compelled to testify. How does that work when you own a camera, which contains evidence that might incriminate you? For this reason people might choose to not have cameras.

How is the camera much different than the crash recorders that most (all?) cars come with these days. That records all sorts of data that can be accessed by police. To the best of my knowledge, I have no way to disable or opt-out of this data collection. Obviously the data collected by the car cannot be directly attributed to a driver (if they run away before being identified), but I would think in most cases, connecting the data to a specific person would not be hard.

maybe hit the menu button again? Pics of the layout?
Gonna try that first.
I'll post pics too, thanks.

Arrived last week. Seems to be good build quality and smaller than I expected. Menus and guide is straight forward. Bought it mostly for the motion detection/parking mode feature. All in was $94 CDN to my door.
Where are you getting it for $94? The site you linked lists it for $130 US.

Where are you getting it for $94? The site you linked lists it for $130 US.

When I first linked the site, it was on sale for $70 USD. Now it's back to regular price I guess. They go on sale from time to time. I got the link on Red Flag deals.

How is the camera much different than the crash recorders that most (all?) cars come with these days. That records all sorts of data that can be accessed by police. To the best of my knowledge, I have no way to disable or opt-out of this data collection. Obviously the data collected by the car cannot be directly attributed to a driver (if they run away before being identified), but I would think in most cases, connecting the data to a specific person would not be hard.

Very different; video and audio.

and the owner of the vehicle doesn't have access to that data.

If you rear end someone, your black box won't show that the car cut you off and slammed on their brakes.

and the owner of the vehicle doesn't have access to that data.

If you rear end someone, your black box won't show that the car cut you off and slammed on their brakes.

Very different; video and audio.

I know the data recorded is different. People were discussing OEM implementation of dash cams, they could be dealt with the same way as the current data. The user has only cursory access to the data and no ability to change or disable the system (other than tape over the lenses).

I know the data recorded is different. People were discussing OEM implementation of dash cams, they could be dealt with the same way as the current data. The user has only cursory access to the data and no ability to change or disable the system (other than tape over the lenses).

Subaru's for example used camera's for their adaptive Cruise Control. Wouldn't take much effort to put in another camera in the headliner where they already have 2. (I believe it's called EyeSight)

Telemetry systems don't necessarily directly impact the privacy of the vehicle user, while cameras and audio recorders do. While both are fruit, one is apples and the other oranges.

Subaru's for example used camera's for their adaptive Cruise Control. Wouldn't take much effort to put in another camera in the headliner where they already have 2. (I believe it's called EyeSight)

This is the most dangerous automotive system I have ever used. It went into full ABS panic mode on me while on cruise control on the highway west of Banff. I was heading into a left hand corner and it saw a truck in the right lane, I was in the left lane, it sensed impending collision. If there was anyone behind me there would have been a collision for sure as no reasonable person would expect that degree of braking. While it is activated it ignores the gas pedal, you have to manually switch off the system to regain control of the car. Subaru should be sued into oblivion for that system, it will kill people.

This is the most dangerous automotive system I have ever used. It went into full ABS panic mode on me while on cruise control on the highway west of Banff. I was heading into a left hand corner and it saw a truck in the right lane, I was in the left lane, it sensed impending collision. If there was anyone behind me there would have been a collision for sure as no reasonable person would expect that degree of braking. While it is activated it ignores the gas pedal, you have to manually switch off the system to regain control of the car. Subaru should be sued into oblivion for that system, it will kill people.
Wonder who would be deemed at fault if you got rear ended.

Update to posts 82, 83 & 85:
It seems that the 'rec' button doubles as the 'ok' button. Managed to set rec length, d&t stamp, and turn ir on. Seems to be doing ok.
Question : there looks like there are led lights in the front for nighttime. Are they supposed to turn on? Or are they part of the ir system? I haven't tried uploading video yet, so not sure how the night video is, or even if the ir works.

Update to posts 82, 83 & 85:
It seems that the 'rec' button doubles as the 'ok' button. Managed to set rec length, d&t stamp, and turn ir on. Seems to be doing ok.
Question : there looks like there are led lights in the front for nighttime. Are they supposed to turn on? Or are they part of the ir system? I haven't tried uploading video yet, so not sure how the night video is, or even if the ir works.

The red lights are the IR LEDs.

Turning on the IR LEDs at night, the IR LEDs will just reflect off the windshield and make the video unusable.

Thanks @Splash

I can't find the other thread where I said that I would post a clip of my dash cam for @PrivatePilot. I think for peace of mind, it is fine. But if I was going to be uploading videos on a regular basis, I might opt for a different one. Of course, I am not tech savvy in the least, so it just may be me. There was also a ton of corrupted files that I found in the download process, so I'm thinking that is a con as well, unless it has to do with the cheap sd card that I purchased. Anyway, here is a clip, my first ever attempt with Movie Maker and editing and all that.https://youtu.be/byUsEtrMrsc

I was editing this post and deleted it and now I'm trying to fix everything.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom