In vehicle Dash Cams? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In vehicle Dash Cams?

What's everyone running these days?
Need something that has a proper Parking Mode as well.

Motorcycle Mike, still loving that G1W?

The G1W has had some hiccups... once in awhile it will freeze and need to be reset with a pin, it also occasionally gives me a memory error -- or used to, I've since changed cards and it seems to be working for now. I hope it is not corrupting SD cards somehow, but I've had memory issues with more than one card.

I was briefly considering getting the garmin nuvicam... but it is damn pricey and supposedly has a crap mount. For that price I could buy a dedicated cellphone to keep in the car.

In that case, next cam might be a mini 806, but I am leery to spend that kind of money (again) on a mail order from China product with basically no warranty.

Has anyone used the CONTOUR ROAM as a dash cam? I bought it through the deal that was on a year ago or so and don't really use it on the bike, so thought i'd mount it in the car. I know I have to erase / on / off as needed but it could work for a typical drive?

Has anyone used the CONTOUR ROAM as a dash cam? I bought it through the deal that was on a year ago or so and don't really use it on the bike, so thought i'd mount it in the car. I know I have to erase / on / off as needed but it could work for a typical drive?

sure why not? you'd just need to turn it on and off every time you drive, but it should do the trick.

some comments in this video here give a better idea of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTmL4kVjwmA

Last edited:
Cool thanks! Will look into some mounting options as I'd prefer to hang it off the mirror instead of glass/dash. Suggestions?
I've used a contour as a dash cam for a bit. I often forget to turn it on and sometimes forgot to turn it off.

I made a mirror mount using part of a camera tripod and a rubber coated clamp.

They sell mirror mounts with a camera thread on ebay for a couple dollars though.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I've used a contour as a dash cam for a bit. I often forget to turn it on and sometimes forgot to turn it off.

I made a mirror mount using part of a camera tripod and a rubber coated clamp.

They sell mirror mounts with a camera thread on ebay for a couple dollars though.

This should work to mount a contour to a mirror http://m.ebay.ca/itm/Bicycle-Motorc...amera-Camcorder-GRCA-/221756544146?nav=SEARCH

I use a Wasp Jakd camera for my car and bike, when plugged into the USB it is auto on/off and charges at the same time. Got it $150 no tax at Royal Distributing.

Ojocam works great, have 2 and have given my parents, gf and sister one of these cams for Xmas. Never any issues and the picture on them is fantastic. They are very small and discreet as well.

Has anyone tried the Cobra dash-cameras? They are expensive but not as expensive as the Gopro.

What's everyone running these days?
Need something that has a proper Parking Mode as well.

Motorcycle Mike, still loving that G1W?

Blackvue dr650 came with the battery monitor kit so it doesn't drain your battery on parking mode for $300. I'm liking it - being able to configure it through it's own wifi transmitter on a smartphone. (Though the first time setup to set the time and switching certain LEDs on and off was a bit of a hassle). Can switch the LEDs on as an indicator that you have a cam running, or turn the LEDs off for more of a "stealth mode".

(I think) The reason the first time config is difficult is because it tries writing a new config file when you switch the settings but doesn't replace the old. It doesn't seem to have the capability to modify the config until you either delete the config file and let it write a new one, or choose your settings, and reload the firmware (which is easy since it's available in their app).

You can likely make changes easily by connecting it to your computer, but I chose the "lazy difficult" way and made changes from my phone via wifi.

There is a 30 sec or so delay when starting your car for it to switch from parking mode to normal driving mode. It's automatic so it's not a big deal.

Camera also has GPS (speed and location recorded), shows a picture-in-picture display of a google map like location in the video (option).

The contour roam would work but I believe you can only record and charge at the same time with the cable that was included with the camera. If you don't have that, you're going to have to charge it every day (depending on the length of drive/time it's on). It also does also take a lot of memory so deleting videos may be a bit of a hassle as well.

Last edited:
The contour roam would work but I believe you can only record and charge at the same time with the cable that was included with the camera. If you don't have that, you're going to have to charge it every day (depending on the length of drive/time it's on). It also does also take a lot of memory so deleting videos may be a bit of a hassle as well.

Ya I figured that would be a hassle, but I think if nothing happens during a drive I can just reformat the camera on the fly and always have it ready. Will try it out once the cheap mounts come in and if it doesn't work or is too much of a hassle I'll look at other options. Right now it's just sitting there gathering dust.

Ya I figured that would be a hassle, but I think if nothing happens during a drive I can just reformat the camera on the fly and always have it ready. Will try it out once the cheap mounts come in and if it doesn't work or is too much of a hassle I'll look at other options. Right now it's just sitting there gathering dust.

I think your main issue would be having the camera recording while charging. I found that to be the main issue when using my Contour roam since it runs out of batteries way before you run out of memory (obviously depending on size of memory card). From what I remember at the highest resolution settings, it took about 3-3.5gb/hr.

If you have the battery issue solved, then holding the format button down and having everything erased to make space would be easy - though it may revert the settings/config to default which I think is 720p 30fps vs the preferred setting of 1080p, 60fps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom