In vehicle Dash Cams? | GTAMotorcycle.com

In vehicle Dash Cams?

boooya

Site Supporter
I have one that looks identical to the one in your link, although mine must be a cheap copy because it was $30 off of ebay.

The idea I had in mind was to set this thing up and forget about it, but that didn't work out.

First the suction cup holder thingy sucks. I cleaned the window and the cup, moistened the cup slightly, but leave it in the sun for any length of time and it falls off.

Anyway, no big deal -- so I thought. I will just stick the damn thing to my dash and it won't fall off.

Well... the falling problem was fixed, but I think the heat killed it. The unit never had to run off of battery power, yet after a day of sitting in a parking lot with the sun on it and it wouldn't turn on again.

I realize that electronics should neither be left stuck to the window or in direct sunlight for a long period of time, but the only way these things will be effective is if they are on every time you drive -- and unless you are a person who never forgets, that means they should be left in place 100% of the time.

I currently have a case opened on ebay trying to get a replacement or refund for my dead unit.

I just received my dashcam in the mail today. It's an Abee V30.

[video=youtube;gfGusC2fKkA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfGusC2fKkA[/video]

Last edited:
I use my gopro as a dashcam sometimes but it's inconvenient. Wish there was a decent product out there that would mount behind the rear view mirror inconspicuously or replace it altogether.

I have one that looks identical to the one in your link, although mine must be a cheap copy because it was $30 off of ebay.

The idea I had in mind was to set this thing up and forget about it, but that didn't work out.

First the suction cup holder thingy sucks. I cleaned the window and the cup, moistened the cup slightly, but leave it in the sun for any length of time and it falls off.

Anyway, no big deal -- so I thought. I will just stick the damn thing to my dash and it won't fall off.

Well... the falling problem was fixed, but I think the heat killed it. The unit never had to run off of battery power, yet after a day of sitting in a parking lot with the sun on it and it wouldn't turn on again.

I realize that electronics should neither be left stuck to the window or in direct sunlight for a long period of time, but the only way these things will be effective is if they are on every time you drive -- and unless you are a person who never forgets, that means they should be left in place 100% of the time.

I currently have a case opened on ebay trying to get a replacement or refund for my dead unit.

Maybe this happened because it was $30? You get what you pay for rite?
The idea would be to just leave it in the truck and forget about it.

These things are the same as the $99 is just rebranded or resold at a higher margin by someone who has imported them from China.
Searching online you will find companies offering them for resale in cartons.

I had a similar experience looking at tablet screen protectors and cases. It's amazing how cheap they are wholesale.

i got a similar model, but no IR. It was $30 shipped from china. I modified the suction cup mount because it would have placed the camera too low and back for it to be discreet. I've had it for 3 weeks, its got a 4gb card in it and its always on. Only thing that sucks is i lost the manual for it and dont know how to tell it to save a specific video, so right now it just keeps looping 2min increments until it runs out of room and then it overwrites the old stuff.

the video is meh, and the sound is atrocious but as far as video evidence its good enuf.

I use my gopro as a dashcam sometimes but it's inconvenient. Wish there was a decent product out there that would mount behind the rear view mirror inconspicuously or replace it altogether.

[video=youtube_share;zpj-NrMxAUY]http://youtu.be/zpj-NrMxAUY[/video]

Soon new cars will come with dash cams (+recording) built in.

Soon dash cams will be a requirement by law.

Soon privacy will be a thing of the past.

k-man that's pretty neat but it costs more than my GoPro!

I don't doubt this will happen eventually. Sort of like the mandatory black box they wanted to implement years back.

All newer vehicles record engine management. If an airbag is deployed it takes a snap shot of vehicle perimeters at time of impact.
Speed, engine load etc. it can't tell if who was at fault but can provide evidence of slowing down(brakes applied) if abs kicked in, acceleration and speed at time of impact.

I'm using two Replay XD1080 cameras; one front, one rear. I bought the cigarette adapters for them, so they get constant power in the car (my car has a 'power socket' in the hatch). I'm sure they'll eventually come in handy.

[video=youtube;3ziH0r5GAXA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ziH0r5GAXA[/video]

I'm using two Replay XD1080 cameras; one front, one rear. I bought the cigarette adapters for them, so they get constant power in the car (my car has a 'power socket' in the hatch). I'm sure they'll eventually come in handy.

[video=youtube;3ziH0r5GAXA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ziH0r5GAXA[/video]

Where did you buy it from? and how much?

There's a big difference between voluntary recording and compulsory. I think we're a long way from having it be compulsory in privately owned vehicles but a lot of cars already do have fairly extensive data acquisition systems that can be used in accident reconstruction.

Back
Top Bottom