Dominican republic or Cuba? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dominican republic or Cuba?

Do I need to pack one of these going to these places??
300px-Rifle_AK-47.jpg

you might want to read a bit of history, you could show up with an automatic firearm in Cuba, but you may want to take enough clean underwear for about the next 25yrs.......

Varadero - we're aiming for the Barcelo resort, I think

But the resort isn't set in stone as long as it's a party resort and not a couples/family one

Just make sure it isn't the Barcelo Marina Palace because its WAY out there at the edge of the penninsula and far of away from everything. The Barcelo Solymar on the other hand is in a great location. On the edge of town so you can walk into varadero town, unlike the resorts down the penninsula where you are reliant on a taxi/bus. Barcelo Solymar also has a huge and nice beachfront and much more of a party vibe than the other resorts we saw.. You are also within walking distance to the Havana Club (busiest on Friday nights) which is connected to the Palma Real resort and the Hotel Internacional which is the place to go on Sunday nights.

I was in Cuba a few weeks ago and it was pretty quiet since its low season so I would not expect Cancun Spring Break type atmosphere. At night, the actual varadero town is really quiet and basically dead. Weather was good with 1 day of rain in a week but walking around in the sun can be rough because it is very HOT right now in Cuba.

Varadero will not give you a good understanding of Cuba. It's not "real" cuba. If you want the resort thing, its cool but if you want to see the actual country of cuba you need to get out of Varadero. havana is the obvious choice and it is quite a city. Get to the Malecon in havana for some fried chicken and beer. Prices are listed and are realistic for Cubans, not crazy inflated tourist prices.

You mean tickets for all-inclusive last-minute vacations? It used to be that waiting until the last minute got the best bargains but in recent years it means the best hotels have gone. If I were you I'd go to Hotwire.com or selloffvacations.com and do searches on 4* hotels and above and jump on anything that comes out at a decent price. Beaches in Varadero is where I stayed, its an adults only place so there weren't as many screaming brats around and the beach was great.

Here's the TRIPADVISOR thing http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Varadero-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html
Exactly what I was looking to hear. Thanks again. Hopefully people are up for exploring and walking around.

I know that years ago, they used to have this price insurance thing where you pay $50 bucks and get the difference if the price drops. Do they still do that nowadays? I can afford to pull the trigger on the vacation now, but saving more money here means being able to spend more money there.

The fact that it's off season makes me want to risk buying last-minute, but I'd hate to screw up my vacation since I haven't had a weekend off in 1 year and I've been putting this vacation off for 2.

Just make sure it isn't the Barcelo Marina Palace because its WAY out there at the edge of the penninsula and far of away from everything. The Barcelo Solymar on the other hand is in a great location. On the edge of town so you can walk into varadero town, unlike the resorts down the penninsula where you are reliant on a taxi/bus. Barcelo Solymar also has a huge and nice beachfront and much more of a party vibe than the other resorts we saw.. You are also within walking distance to the Havana Club (busiest on Friday nights) which is connected to the Palma Real resort and the Hotel Internacional which is the place to go on Sunday nights.

I was in Cuba a few weeks ago and it was pretty quiet since its low season so I would not expect Cancun Spring Break type atmosphere. At night, the actual varadero town is really quiet and basically dead. Weather was good with 1 day of rain in a week but walking around in the sun can be rough because it is very HOT right now in Cuba.

Varadero will not give you a good understanding of Cuba. It's not "real" cuba. If you want the resort thing, its cool but if you want to see the actual country of cuba you need to get out of Varadero. havana is the obvious choice and it is quite a city. Get to the Malecon in havana for some fried chicken and beer. Prices are listed and are realistic for Cubans, not crazy inflated tourist prices.
That's reassuring - we were definitely aiming for Barcelo Solymar. I'd imagine that Friday/Saturday would be the prime nights...but you're saying pick the nightlife in Havana over Varadero for those days?

You're scaring me a little though, but I appreciate the heads up. I was hoping for Cancun-type shenanigans...but as long as it's fairly busy, I'm happy.

But the other reason I picked cuba (aside from the whole partying thing) is because it's fairly close to Havana. Some people travel and never leave the walls of the resort, and it doesn't seem like you get to take in much culture that way. Plus, who can say no to chicken and beer. :D

Last edited:
I stayed at Barcelo Sol Y Mar. It's basically a big party. Expect everyone to be from Montreal or Toronto. Mostly from Toronto. I was a bit disappointed by this. When you go out to the club, pretty much every local girl is a hooker. And man are Cuban women beautiful. I spent a lot of time talking to the hookers because they were way more interesting than dumb Toronto broads. But even the club was a lot like being in Toronto, the usual idiots with no shirt on in the club, stuck up broads etc. Which don't get me wrong was fun in it's own way, but if I had to do Cuba again I would probably skip the all inclusive since I drank way more off resort than on resort (bottle service was basically $30, so I pretty much bought a bottle every night). I would probably stay in Havana for a few days try and make friends with some locals and have them show me around. Cubans are really friendly people. Bring toothpaste, tooth brushes, make up for the women, they really really appreciate that. I found the materials gifts go 100 times further for them than just tipping them with CUC.

Im going to varedero, cuba next week. Booked my trip through red tag, paid 744 and additional 18 dollars for insurance, cant go wrong with that.

Regarding Jamaica. :)

My wife and I eloped @ couples swept
Away in Negril, Jamaica.

Montigo Bay is where you'll most likely fly into. Montigo Bay is more of a commercial city. Very coastal and rundown. I've seen local people pissing on the street in full of the passing public.

A 1 1/2 hour bus ride east to Negril brings you to the most relaxing, chill place I've ever been to.

It is expensive to stay in Negril, however it's well worth it. Police and hotel security do not intervene with MJ usage by tourists. You don't smoke as freely as you would a cigarette, but you can comfortably smoke a good size baseball J on your beachfront room patio.

Local merchants in Negril that walk the beaches sing reggae (really good Bob Marley songs....) sell cigarettes, cultural souvenirs, papers, cigars, shrooms, mountain grown Sativa Cess (MJ).

They are not as aggressive as vendors in Cancun. But, while walking 7 mile
Beach in Negril, you will 100% be approached to buy weed. Over and over......

The guys that work the jet skies will undoubtably harass you if in earshot (they ride around the swimming perimeter).

Negril is the most relaxing, amazing place! LOVE IT!!

That's reassuring - we were definitely aiming for Barcelo Solymar. I'd imagine that Friday/Saturday would be the prime nights...but you're saying pick the nightlife in Havana over Varadero for those days?

You're scaring me a little though, but I appreciate the heads up. I was hoping for Cancun-type shenanigans...but as long as it's fairly busy, I'm happy.

But the other reason I picked cuba (aside from the whole partying thing) is because it's fairly close to Havana. Some people travel and never leave the walls of the resort, and it doesn't seem like you get to take in much culture that way. Plus, who can say no to chicken and beer. :D

Havana Club is the name of a club in Varadero...Basically full of canadians except Friday when cubans actually go too. Hotel Internacional is also in Varadero. Honestly, if you are going to Varadero at this time of the year for partying atmosphere, you might end up disappointed. However, the Barcelo Solymar is probably your best bet for that like Freestyle72 is confirming. I stayed next door at the Palma Real and there were probably only a couple hundred people staying there when the place can probably handle thousands. Mostly cubans, some russians and probably no more than 10 canadians.

Varadero is the last place in Cuba to try to blend in with the locals or submerge yourself in culture. Can't help but feel like a walking ATM around that place especially when you understand that people who work around tourism make WAY more money than cubans that dont. On that topic, do not feel sorry for the bartenders and maids at the resorts. They are the highest paid people in the country... Doctors in cuba essentially work for the gov't and make about $25 a month, teachers make around $17. Maids get tips and can make that much in a couple days. I had a long conversation with a university professor who was very intelligent and articulate with perfect english and she quit her job teaching to go and sell souvenirs because she makes at least 4 x more doing so.

If you want to party in Havana, you are probably better off staying in havana if you do. You can get a room in any of the many casa's for around $30.

Back
Top Bottom