Dominican republic or Cuba? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dominican republic or Cuba?

Been to Punta Cana and Varadero but not Punta Cana.

My vote - Cuba all the way.

Varadero is the Daytona beach of Cuba, party place but not a lot of culture or atmosphere. Diving/reefs are better elsewhere in cuba. Scooters rock in Cuba. So do the old Cars.

Food isn't as good (good luck on beef or meat in general) but coffee, ice cream, cigars and rum are far better in cuba.
People are (much) nicer and (much) less predatory/aggressive. But that might be due to the guards with the machine guns at every beach entrance...

Less "stereotypical" american tourists in Cuba.

i dunno where this "hard on" for ****** Cuban food comes from.

last few times i've been its always been fresh beef, pork and chicken laid out and cooked anyway you want it + the pasta bar and the rest of the buffet.

Never did i ever go into the diner and not wanted to have something they were offering.

Good point, Kellen. I've been to Cancun also and it's definitely a place to go party. Pretty damn fun.

Frank's REDHOT a must. I always bring the big bottle for me and my friends.

^^

We've learned our lesson....

Ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper are coming with us. The stuff they got there is too bland.

Just booked a resort in jamaica for a beatable price.

I hear jamaica is more for couples? Non the less ill have good times.

Cuba on the 14th!!! booyaka

came back from Cuba on the 14th...Great weather, great food, great people. Loved it. Dont go to Cayo Largo if all u wanna do all day is sight see, explore Cuba and party at night. Its 4 hotels, a marina and the airport.

Going to antigua in a few weeks, can't wait

What was really different for us two wheeled folks is the lack of scooter's in Punta Cana. Another friend noticed that too. In Cuba you can rent scooters for 24 hours and go as far as you want.

I rented a scooter for 24 hours and rode to Matanza. It took forever to get there becasue scooters aren't fast as our bikes.

I didn't see one scooter in Punta Cana : -(
In Varadero, you sometimes see a group of sportbikers. I saw one at Plaza America. They had CBR600RR, R6 and I think I saw some litre bikes.

Yup when I was there a few years back, I say vey few 2 wheelers but this R6 blew past our tour bus with a girl with a mini skirt on and no helmets...anyways it was at the dunebuggy rental place when we got there.

CIMG0136.jpg

I'm headed to Cuba next week and we waited to get tickets last-minute so we could get a better deal.

edit: nvm answers can be found in the first page. Sorry.

But travel tips are still welcome! :D

Last edited:
Varadero - we're aiming for the Barcelo resort, I think

But the resort isn't set in stone as long as it's a party resort and not a couples/family one

You're not far from Havana and a day trip to the Bay of Pigs. Also for resorts check reviews on how far the hotel is from the refinery. There's a bit of an eggy smell from the refinery at times but only if you're on the wrong side of it.

You're not far from Havana and a day trip to the Bay of Pigs. Also for resorts check reviews on how far the hotel is from the refinery. There's a bit of an eggy smell from the refinery at times but only if you're on the wrong side of it.
Thanks for the suggestion - I definitely want to check out the Bay of Pigs now. We were planning to scoot around and check out Havana for sure. Is there a difference from buying tickets now or 2-3 days before we leave? Or would it all be the same at this point? (Trips tomorrow are cheaper than trips next week but I'm not sure if it's because of the time or because of the last-minute thing).

Thanks for the suggestion - I definitely want to check out the Bay of Pigs now. We were planning to scoot around and check out Havana for sure. Is there a difference from buying tickets now or 2-3 days before we leave? Or would it all be the same at this point? (Trips tomorrow are cheaper than trips next week but I'm not sure if it's because of the time or because of the last-minute thing).

You mean tickets for all-inclusive last-minute vacations? It used to be that waiting until the last minute got the best bargains but in recent years it means the best hotels have gone. If I were you I'd go to Hotwire.com or selloffvacations.com and do searches on 4* hotels and above and jump on anything that comes out at a decent price. Beaches in Varadero is where I stayed, its an adults only place so there weren't as many screaming brats around and the beach was great.

If you mean tickets for excursions then you can wait until you get there, you'll probably get a better deal.

If you take a walk down the main hotel strip away from town you come across a bit of rainforest with walkways through. There's some old ruins inside and lots of jungle to wander in. Watch out for the snakes and wear DEET as you'll get eaten alive otherwise. On the way to this park you also pass a cave where you get a guide to show you around..you'll stand in complete darkness under thousands of bats. I'm trying to remember exactly where this is but it was out towards the Paradisus hotel.

Here's the TRIPADVISOR thing http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Varadero-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html

Back
Top Bottom