CBR125 Dirty Bars Project | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR125 Dirty Bars Project

:confused:Is that safe or even legal to ride like that???? Very high centre of gravity.

Centre of Gravity with that pile of gear won't be much different than with a passenger (the passenger should actually have a higher CoG). As long as things are properly strapped down, it is amazing how little you feel a pile of crap on the pillion seat (as long as the weight is less than a passenger).

Have you put in any more work on your bike as of late?

Not really, aside from a little extra maintenance before the big camping trip...

Speaking of which, this is my second attempt at packing everything (I ditched the backpack, because it didn't fit all my camping gear):

- The tent I bought never came with a rain fly, because it is apparently totally waterproof, but I'd rather be extra prepared. So I added a blue 9'x7' tarp to the list, with some additional pegs and some rope. I will also probably bring my tank bag too, but I was too lazy to strap it on.

ri6yz7.jpg

- In addition to that, I took a look through eBay and decided to buy a handlebar mount for my Garmin Nuvi GPS that I normally use in my car. I plan on bringing a GoPro too, so I will get some excellent footage.

- I also added some running water to my motorcycle. :D To keep hydrated for when we stop for fuel.

scvu4j.jpg

Last edited:
- In addition to that, I took a look through eBay and decided to buy a handlebar mount for my Garmin Nuvi GPS that I normally use in my car. I plan on bringing a GoPro too, so I will get some excellent footage.

Attach some sort of safety wire to your GPS while using that. The mount that came with your Garmin for car use is not meant to be used on a motorcycle (if it is like mine, it only has 2 clip points). The Universal Ram adapter I use has room for 6 'arms' and two end stoppers. A lot more stable for motorcycle use :)

That's just a temporary solution for now. I do plan on getting a RAM mount in the future.

Thanks for the advice - I was definitely thinking about attaching some sort of tether to it, in case anything happens. And now I will.

I'm considering buying this handlebar mount instead, because it looks to be a lot better quality, plus it's more skinny, so I won't be fiddling around trying to make it fit properly with the rest of my controls. It is designed for 1-1/4 in handlebars, but apparently it comes with some sort of rubber fitting that makes it fit standard bars.

That's just a temporary solution for now. I do plan on getting a RAM mount in the future.

Thanks for the advice - I was definitely thinking about attaching some sort of tether to it, in case anything happens. And now I will.

I'm considering buying this handlebar mount instead, because it looks to be a lot better quality, plus it's more skinny, so I won't be fiddling around trying to make it fit properly with the rest of my controls. It is designed for 1-1/4 in handlebars, but apparently it comes with some sort of rubber fitting that makes it fit standard bars.

Just get the one you linked first, and a RAM later. I found fishing line works well as a tether for the GPS :)

Just riding through some open fields and tall grass. Testing out my GPS mount.

2ag3i37.jpg

I is confused.

LoL me too, why not get something more appropriate to do this? or just get a ride in a friends cage. Nothing about that looks like fun.

why not get something more appropriate to do this?

We differ in opinions. It's as simple as that. The politically correct term for my bike is a "scrambler", not a dual sport.

I could easily say the same thing about supermoto bikes. Why not get a "real" street bike? Nothing about them looks like much fun either.

If you think I'm the first person to take a full street bike and do some minor modifications for off-road, then you are greatly mistaken.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330726

Last edited:
LoL i'm more thinking about what would make someone want to ride a 125 on the highway with that much gear loaded up on it. Standard bikes with bars make a lot of sense for the street.

Wow great job! Almost makes me wish I kept the 125 for a project bike...mind you no garage and not much in terms of technical skills! LoL

Wow great job! Almost makes me wish I kept the 125 for a project bike...mind you no garage and not much in terms of technical skills! LoL

Are you kidding me? My garage is tiny, and I'm a complete amateur. The only things you need is a basic tool set from Canadian Tire and a little common sense. And maybe some good internet research skills. I got most of my info from customfighters.com and I figured out the rest myself as I went along.

The only outside help I got was from this place called Bondi's Engines in Aurora. They drilled my two mounting holes through the triple clamp. I was too afraid to do it myself, and I trusted them more to make precise drill holes for the handlebars to be perfectly straight.

This is my rear tire at 8 or 9000km. Not too shabby, if you ask me, especially for only $35 per tire. The middle is just above half-way done, and the sides are barely 1/4 of the way done. The front tire is basically untouched. No problems with traction yet, on or off-road.

2vblzwo.jpg

LoL i'm more thinking about what would make someone want to ride a 125 on the highway with that much gear loaded up on it. Standard bikes with bars make a lot of sense for the street.

You'd be surprised. This is a picture of another camping trip, which I didn't attend. I believe it was 2010 or 2011, but I'm not sure.

24bl0rs.jpg

14df2ao.jpg

This year's trip, there are 8 bikes (including myself) signed up to attend so far. Most of them are riding a CBR125. Who would of guessed? :O
This is the planned route we are taking for the upcoming trip:

1jnc7b.jpg

Last edited:
I love taking the wrong bike to the wrong places....Great job!
You could probably ride that bike around the world, affordably too!

So I'm back from the Camping Trip. We had five CBR125s in altogether, then a ZX14, and a Concours 1000. I rode my CBR dual sport, of course. :D
We drove 1500km (750ish each way) in total in the span of 2 days. But on the way home, we did it all at once, and it took us just over 10 hours (including stops, plus a 2 hour ferry ride).

2012cbr125campingtrip024.jpg

ad2mmv.jpg

yce46.jpg

hvwdmx.jpg

1088qv5.jpg

2012cbr125campingtrip010.jpg

2012cbr125campingtrip019.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom