Shaky camera/Wind too loud. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shaky camera/Wind too loud.

For this type of issue you have to get the Mic out of the wind. Best way to do so is to place an external microphone you can place where is is shielded from the wind.
The video being shaky is always the issue when using a standard camera / camcorder. as they have a larger profile. Best for this type of application is a small profile camera. I use adrenaline systems helmet camera which has an extended microphone I place behind the tank..this give me very good engine sound. The small profile of the camera completely eliminates the shakes. check the system: Superbike Helmet Cam

I use a GoPro on my bike and it works pretty well. It comes with different types of mounts. I tried using the suction cup mount on my tank and it worked pretty well, although there was some vibration in the camera at times. I have installed a RAM mount for my GPS and I was able to purchase a cheap attachment for my GoPro and it works very well. Check out their site. They have a ton of different set ups. http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/wizard

I'm going to add that all these mounts that have arms or anything of that sort will always have vibrations. The only way to avoid vibrations permanently or reduce them a huge amount is if you make a custom fabricated bracket out of metal that will bolt to the frame or sub-frame of the bike. Any handle bar mounts, or anything that is hollow will vibrate.

I spent a good amount of time creating this bracket.

rearbracket2.jpg

It's only for rear facing camera, but I have other mounts that I've made out of solid angled aluminum. I mount them on places such as the rear passenger handles mounting locations, the rear passenger peg mounting locations, I'll even remove fairing to mount different brackets on to the frame.

You really have to get creative, making little cheap mounts will not do the trick. You should see some of these Hollywood creations for cars and what not to get follow shots or stable shots that would normally be impossible.

This is the shot I got with the rear camera bracket I made. I had a Canon 5D Mark II w/EF 24mm f1.4L II lens attached to it.

[video=youtube;I5IKBIl_dSw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5IKBIl_dSw[/video]

Do you know if GoPro or Countour have the standard camera screw slot in the bottom? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the GoPro has it's own specific mount. Could you possibly recommend some of the more inexpensive cameras that will mount on a standard camera screw? (But will still be satisfactory for the vibrations of the handlebars)

no.. but the Drift HD and the Drift HD170 does. And it has an interface you can actually use.

I don't think a bullet cam (sport cam, helmet cam, whatever) will work well enough if you mount it to the same place. The camera needs to be mounted to something as heavy as possible and that is as isolated from vibration as possible. Yours is on the end of a vibrating stick. Not gonna work.

I shot some footage with the gopro this weekend that turned out pretty shaky so I looked online for a software solution and came across ProDAD Mercalli. It comes as either a plug-in for various editing apps (premiere, after effects, etc) or a standalone version. I've only experimented with the standalone version so far but it seems to work well. It significantly reduced the image shake I had in my footage and turned one unwatchable video into something decent looking. If you can't minimize the shakes in the raw footage give it a try!

It's paid software but google or BT is your friend ;). I have version 2.1.4402

Btw nice mount and vid Jay-D!

Back
Top Bottom