Shaky camera/Wind too loud. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shaky camera/Wind too loud.

Ride_Safe

Alright, so I just mounted an HD Camera (Panasonic HDC-SD20) to the bottom of my mirror. My bike is a CBR125, so the mirrors are attached directly to the handlebars.

My problem is that the vibrations of the bike are causing it to be ridiculously blurry. Plus, the wind is so loud that you can't even hear the bike at all. I'm also not entirely sure that the problem is with the vibrations of the bike, so much as that the camera just can't capture the motion of the bike moving.

Any ideas?

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X32XZ6Wl0CI

The camera you're using is just not designed for that kind of shooting, you might get better results by tucking it behind a pharing, or otherwise shield it from the wind. Here's one of my videos shot with a GoPro HD Hero 960 mounted on my mirror stalk if you want to compare. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJuqcmc-6tk The GoPro960 is relatively inexpensive and produces excellent results.

P.S. I could not watch your video it said - "This video is currently being processed"

Last edited:
My friend has the GoPro. He's shown me how well it works. I personally don't like how the interface works, but you can't dispute the results you get from the camera.

Try an external mic and mount the camera to a more stable spot. maybe one of those gas tank mounts?

I know a guy with a gopro and just by changing the cameras location by 3 inches on the front fairing made a huge difference. There was enough flex in the fairing for the footage to look like it was focusing every 2 seconds, moving the camera to just below the mirrors mounting point cleared it all up.

P.S. I could not watch your video it said - "This video is currently being processed"

Try it again... For some reason, youtube was being retardedly slow.

People put bits of sponges over microphones to help combat wind noise.

I was thinking about that. Maybe I'll tape a sponge or something over the mic and make another video.

It still doesn't help the vibrations, though, but I don't really have another way to mount the camera either. I think I might just check into the price of a GoPro.

I think the ironic part about the video is how you barely even notice the difference in vibrations between riding on the road and when I took the bumpy grass.

Last edited:
Try it again... For some reason, youtube was being retardedly slow.

Ok I was able to watch it now.

The idea Matthew suggested of using a foam mic cover should help with the sound, the other thing that may help is if you can move the mic behind the camera (that's where it is on the GoPro) Also I noticed that as your speed decreased the image became quite clear. I don't know how you affixed the camera to the bike but maybe it was slightly loose. To test that try putting your hand on the camera as you ride and apply pressure. If the image is clear in those sections then you know you need a better (tighter) mounting method. You could also experiment with foam rubber placed under the camera to isolate it a little from wind vibration, bike vibration.

Almost everything on the 125R vibrates when revving over 6k. Your best bet would be to attach the camera to your helmet.

Yeah, the CBR is a one cylinder, so the motor makes everything vibrate.

I'm confused how you mount a camera to the gas tank... I don't see what you would clamp it onto. Unless you run a strap around and underneath, or using a magnet?

There's specific camera mounts you can get on eBay for real cheap.

$(KGrHqN,!pEE9ln1JiM!BPemmiK18Q~~60_12.JPG

They have these at Kapsco Moto for about $5 more.

I've got a Flip Cam and no matter how much foam or sponge I put over the mic will help with the wind noise over 50km/h. I really should try to sell it to fund a GoPro or Contour

To lessen wind noise I use two thickness of painters tape over the mic. Stops all wind noise for me and still picks up the sound of the engine. My camera mount is made from a piece of thick hose over the handlebar and a stainless clamp with threaded rod sticking up maybe three inches. This screws into the tripod hole in the bottom of the camera with a wing nut to tighten the camera position firmly. Cheap, simple and it works.

@Hawk

You have no idea.

I cut the bottom of an old tripod off with a hacksaw and used this thick plastic clamp that used to belong to a bicycle to strap it to my mirror. Then put some tape around the tripod pole for grip, as well as on the tripod base so the metal doesn't scratch the bottom of the camera. Aside from the vibration problem, it works excellent, because it's high enough that the windscreen is out of the way, and the tripod base allows me to freely rotate it almost any angle.

28ldzew.jpg

y2eth.jpg

Last edited:
@Ride Safe, too much work for me, mine took 15 minutes to make, lol. Maybe I'll duct tape the camera to my helmut next, lol. Ok, just kidding. As your name says, ride safe. FYI, nice work.

For a DIY camera mount, I thought I did a good job. :)

Alright, so I just mounted an HD Camera (Panasonic HDC-SD20)
I didn't read everyone else's replied but I've tried a TON of digital cameras and camcorders (JVC HD7, etc.) mounted to my bike and I've found this:

1. If the camera has O.I.S. (optical image stabilization) it will not work well on the bike. The stabilization system will shake and jitter around inside the camera (even with OIS disabled), and certain RPM's, bumps, etc. will make the image shake like crazy.

2. If the camera has an adjustable zoom lens it will shake and rattle and cause a lot of audio problems too.

Buy a real camera designed for the purpose, GoPro, Contour, etc. etc. Using a camcorder or digital camera will never work (with the exception of my Canon T2i, Rode Video Mic Pro with Dead Cat, Tokina 11mm wide angle, not the most compact onboard vid setup, but damn does it record nice videos with flawless audio :)).

-Jamie M.

@toysareforboys

Yeah, this camera has O.I.S. and an adjustable zoom lens. It's no wonder the thing takes crap video.

Do you know if GoPro or Countour have the standard camera screw slot in the bottom? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the GoPro has it's own specific mount. Could you possibly recommend some of the more inexpensive cameras that will mount on a standard camera screw? (But will still be satisfactory for the vibrations of the handlebars)

Back
Top Bottom