The "I've quit" thread | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "I've quit" thread

Psycadelics like DMT and LSD have no addicting properties so they don't really belong in the same conversation as cigarettes which are a stimulant to a lesser extent.

I wouldn't recommend picking up smoking for fun or for a challenege.. I am a social smoker because I enjoy the taste of a cigarette with beer and company, I tend to go through a pack every two weeks and this is my choice. I don't consider myself an addicting personality but nicotine in large doses can take over even the most strong minded people.

Fair point - but you also have to differentiate between mental addiction and physical addiction. There are plenty of drugs that are mentally addicting without being physically dependent on them; and for some people, that's enough to get them hooked. But yeah, it seems that social smokers are all about smoking after drinking. I guess it's the nice headrush? :dontknow:

As for J267's post about smokers typically being more social...there's a bit of truth to that. It's a great way to meet people when you're out

I am not sure that something that is just "mentallity" addictive is really considered an addictive substances.

because that sounds like its about as addictive as catching your favorite show. or being addicted to blowjobs.

I am not sure that something that is just "mentallity" addictive is really considered an addictive substances.

because that sounds like its about as addictive as catching your favorite show. or being addicted to blowjobs.
I'm saying that when it interferes with how you go about your day-to-day activities, it doesn't matter whether you want to classify it as mental or physical. At the end of the day, you're craving the drug - the only difference is that the physical one has 2 tiers to conquer.

I know geniuses who are addicted to weed (a drug that doesn't have physically addictive symptoms) and who can honestly argue that their mind always functions better on it. But I can't say the same for myself lol

i was addicted to drugs as a young man. Somehow smoking helped me get off those. And now after 10 years i have sorted everything out and also quit smoking.

Stopped smoking 226 days ago after about 12yrs of smoking. Listened to "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking", realized every "fantasy" I had about smoking were only excuses. Smoking relaxes me, excuses. Smoking makes me more social at parties, excuses. Smoking does this, smoking does that, excuses after excuses.

Stopping smoking makes me realize I made a lot of excuses for things I wanted to do but never did. Since stopping, I've picked up hockey which I always wanted to try, picked up a slightly more physically active life. Now I'm going to stop making excuses and learn how to ride. :)

Imagine trying to bring cigarettes into the marketplace today as a new product. Health agencies would shut you down so fast... The government is hooked on the taxes they generate worse than smokers are addicted to the chemicals in the cigarettes...

At $10 a day for smokes, $3,650 a year, I could afford sportbike insurance with that cash! I quit smoking about 20 years ago (the first time they went to $6), the patch really helped, and I will never go back to tobacco again!

Nasty... I am glad I quit.

[video=youtube;Npty8yrWl7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npty8yrWl7s&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Awesome.

Started at 18, am now 26, so 8 years... Only time I quit was for like 3 weeks max when I was a broke student. I don't know, I've wanted to quit, but never was successful.

Especially after started riding, I smoke more. Go ride, stop, have a smoke... Our hobbies are not healthy...

When I was 14 or 15 I went out west on a family vacation and ended up working on the farm of a family friend. Driving tractors, pickups haying etc. All the Marlboro man stuff. When the guys stopped for a break they offered me a cigarette saying "You've earned it" I declined.
I really think that if I took a smoke then I would be smoking today. (Or I'd be dead)

I quit each time I butt one out... about 25 times per day on average. ;)

I quit when just before I was 35. I started I think at 17.

can't say why I started, it was just one of those things where yoyu would be at a party, have a beer and get offered a smoke, casual turns to regular...

anyways I quit once whjen I was maybe 30? cold turkey, lasted maybe a couple months, but went back.

2nd shot just before 35, I tried Zyban, no side effects that I specificallty recall, have heard of night terrors, insomnia, and some other stuff, can't say I had any issues really.

Anyway, I progressivley cut back my smoking over a couple months to 0 and walked away. Every so often the twinge hits, but I will not induldge.

After quitting I bought my 1st bike as my reward. I also consciously styed out of bars, away from other smokers, didn't drink for some time and cut back coffee, essentially removed as many things that I could that I would associate having a smoke with.

So I just had my 40th b day and I don't see myself having another smoke in my future, with current prices I can't imagine who could afford it anymore :eek:

Back
Top Bottom