The "I've quit" thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "I've quit" thread

油井緋色

Site Supporter
I wanna know how many of you have quit smoking, why/how you quit smoking, and why you started smoking. Maybe other smokers can come here to read about it?

I believe that no smoker actually enjoys smoking. I started smoking at 18, after an ex broke up with me. I wanted to commit suicide but was too chicken to commit suicide so just went to smoking instead lol

Ironically, after doing research about how you actually die from smoking, suicide would have been a lot less painful...

But back on topic, this lead to my first pack that I never finished. I smoked it twice, hated it, and shoved it away for a good year. Two years later I started hanging out with smokers and that's when the chain smoking started. Prior to this I had started running long distances and was very careful with how much I smoked so that my timings and distances would not go down. I still remember standing outside Pacific Mall and having a competition with another idiot (that makes two of us) with who could hold tobacco smoke in their lungs the longest. Obviously, I won because I was capable of long distance running...but what exactly did I win? The retard award?

Fast forward 5 years later, I was 24 and had gone into weight lifting but COMPLETELY cut off my cardio training. I kept telling myself "Don't worry, you won't smoke forever, just keep smoking till you hate it". Last year I got my motorcycle, and while I loved the sport position that my modified GS500F gave me, the position also made me hack out tar while I was riding. I could feel the tar come out from my neck due to the position I was in. Trying to sleep at night started coughing fits due to "itches" in my throat and eventually coughing out phlegm. And all this was from smoking 5-8 cigs a day for 3ish years. My girl friend, who couldn't out run me when she first started training with me 3 years ago, could now do multiple laps around me. I felt embarrassed, pathetic, and above all, regretful. Smoking wasn't like what I thought it was in high school, something cool to do, something that the war hero does before he dies in combat, something that Wolverine does after he gets hacked up and wants to chill out.

Twenty days ago I decided to Google "why should I quit smoking". It brought me here http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Deborah.html. After reading the entire thing I realized something: I don't have to be like that. I don't need to play chance with Death every time I unleash hundreds of free radicals into my body. And honestly, it would be more fun dying from reckless riding than how that article described a cancer related death.

It's been twenty days now, unlike my previous attempts at quitting, I know this one is different because I literally hate cigarettes. I see people who smoke now as people who were just as stupid as I was twenty days ago. I don't see smoking as a sign of being a rebel or badass anymore. My only concern now is that a lot of my close friends still smoke: hopefully they can stop because we all started around the same time.

So, why'd you guys start and how'd you guys quit?

Perhaps irrelevant, but I never started because I was worried I'd never be able to quit..and I didn't want to be that person. Probably the only smart thing I've done in my life..apart from buying $10k worth of Microsoft stock in 1980...

Perhaps irrelevant, but I never started because I was worried I'd never be able to quit..and I didn't want to be that person. Probably the only smart thing I've done in my life..apart from buying $10k worth of Microsoft stock in 1980...

Nah, those two are very smart things. Don't undermine your own efforts dude :cool:

I quit every year.
I quit this year already, lasted 1 week, nearly ripped my wife's head off, back to smoking again.

I'll never quit quitting.

smoked from age 20 to 26, I was a pack to 2 packs a day. 32 now and started again 3 weeks ago with one a day then 2 a day all the way up to like 8 a day. Been back off them for 3 days now. It would be nice to just have one or 2 a day but I know I can't do that..lol smoking sucks

I had the same thoughts and I think I have an addictive personality.

I'm starting to like cigars now, I use it to celebrate an occasion. Let's see if that would make me hook

I'm starting to like cigars now, I use it to celebrate an occasion. Let's see if that would make me hook

Dunno, depends if the nicotine hits your brain somehow. But then there's also the behavioral addiction part. Either way you get screwed =/

Started when I was like 15 to look cool like all the other kids. Smoked until I was 27 quit, then went to cigars. So a year of that then I got really sick and just quit. Threw out a pack of cigars and have not had a full cigarette or cigar since. Been 2.5 years, started exercising and running to get into better shape so I can be more nimble on my bike. Pluss my smoke money bought me s SS bike and feeds my bike addiction now.

I feel so much better since I quit. The only complaint I have now is that everything stinks. I can not drive behind a diesel the smell is that bad. I can't stand down wind from smokers I can't breath it stinks that bad. Then the women who bathe in perfume before they come to the office oh wow. Lol.

Good luck guys if you want to quit you can do it. I never thought I would quit and I did.

all smokers love to smoke, but there are certain cigarettes in the pack that make you feel like absolute **** - it makes you think about quitting.

ride your motorcycle, hit 260 km on the highway with no traffic around the country side and smoke a cig after.

best. feeling. ever.

About 6 years ago, I quit after smoking for 20 years... threw 2 half full packs in the garbage... never looked back!
MIND OVER MATTER! YOU CAN DO IT!

smoked from age 20 to 26, I was a pack to 2 packs a day. 32 now and started again 3 weeks ago with one a day then 2 a day all the way up to like 8 a day. Been back off them for 3 days now. It would be nice to just have one or 2 a day but I know I can't do that..lol smoking sucks

I never knew you smoked.....Cigarettes i mean.

all smokers love to smoke, but there are certain cigarettes in the pack that make you feel like absolute **** - it makes you think about quitting.

ride your motorcycle, hit 260 km on the highway with no traffic around the country side and smoke a cig after.

best. feeling. ever.

********. No smoker likes smoking. If you actually believe that you enjoy ****ing up your body slowly and making yourself a weaker man overall than I actually feel sorry for you.

I was at two packs a day almost three years ago. I hated it, coughed my lungs out, but I couldn't function without them. If I went for a few hours without one my brain was screaming at me. Some one here mentioned Zyban. After a week on it I went cold turkey. Zyban took care of the physical addiction symptoms. Since I really wanted to quit the psychological part was easy. Have't touched one cigarette since. Not being a smoker is awesome.

I strongly believe smoking is the worst drug out there. NO ONE ever enjoys their first cigarettes. Everyone gets sick from them. Then you get addicted to that poison and you only get pleasure from feeding the addiction. They never actually make you feel better. They make you feel super ****** when you don't have them, then when you feed the craving you feel normal. Smoking the second cigarette was the most retarded thing I ever did.

Oh yea sunflower seeds help with the "need to do something" part if quitting.

Yeah, both my parents smoke..still..for 50 years...and I just didn't want to be like that. And I figured I might be addicted easily..so I've never even tried..hope I never do. I've probably done way more damage with chemicals and vapours and air pollution anyway... Sigh..

I started smoking, off and on, in my early teens. By 17, I was smoking full time, at least a pack a day. I met my wife when I was 22. She really wasn't impressed with my smoking. I tried to quit countless times. I would do okay....until I had a beer.....then it was right back to it. I'd wake up in the morning and think to myself "&@(% it" and I'd be right back to a pack a day.
Finally, in my late 20s, I decided to just give myself permission to smoke when I drank. I started with a 3 drink rule. I wouldn't smoke until my third drink. That led to me chugging the first two.....wasn't always a good thing.
Here I am, in my late 40s. I can go a week without a smoke. Give me a rum and coke and with the first sip, I light my first cigarette of the evening. After that first one, I tend to chain smoke for the rest of the night. Some nights I'll smoke a pack and a half. I feel like ***** in the morning. I know I should quit for good, but I can't handle the thought of never smoking again.

Sorry for the novel.

I started smoking, off and on, in my early teens. By 17, I was smoking full time, at least a pack a day. I met my wife when I was 22. She really wasn't impressed with my smoking. I tried to quit countless times. I would do okay....until I had a beer.....then it was right back to it. I'd wake up in the morning and think to myself "&@(% it" and I'd be right back to a pack a day.
Finally, in my late 20s, I decided to just give myself permission to smoke when I drank. I started with a 3 drink rule. I wouldn't smoke until my third drink. That led to me chugging the first two.....wasn't always a good thing.
Here I am, in my late 40s. I can go a week without a smoke. Give me a rum and coke and with the first sip, I light my first cigarette of the evening. After that first one, I tend to chain smoke for the rest of the night. Some nights I'll smoke a pack and a half. I feel like ***** in the morning. I know I should quit for good, but I can't handle the thought of never smoking again.

Sorry for the novel.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Something just has to snap in you I think. The problem with my previous attempts with smoking is that I wanted to quit, but I truly believed I would miss smoking. I ended up missing late nigh gaming sessions with beer and smoking. I was afraid I wouldn't know what to do after studying for an exam or working on a huge project; those smoke breaks seemed so valuable.

I just go out for walks now when I want a break, take a huge breath of fresh air and remind myself that fresh air taste better than tar.

It's funny how every smoker or ex-smoker has gone through/is going through the same thing.

Probably the only smart thing I've done in my life..apart from buying $10k worth of Microsoft stock in 1980...

considering Microsoft didn't IPO until 1986, you've done well - congrats.

I quit every year.
I quit this year already, lasted 1 week, nearly ripped my wife's head off, back to smoking again.

I'll never quit quitting.

Does she really need her head Mark?

I was up to 4 1/2 - 5 Large packs a day (Export A's / killer greens). I quit with assistance from the patch, and a hell of a lot of willpower 19 yrs ago. Hardest thing I've ever done - also the best thing I've ever done.
It took me 18 months to get over it - choking up phlegm and ****. Also, I caught one cold and flu after another during the year and a half. You couldn't pay me to fire up a butt now.

Quit smoking tobacco by smoking (or smoking more) green.

After a few months of NO tobacco, switch from smoking green to vaping.

Easiest/best way to quit smoking tobacco (so I've heard ;)

I smoked when it was cool ....then when it became uncool I quit. Just following the times I guess.
Would never go back cuz quitting sucks...thilthy habit.

considering Microsoft didn't IPO until 1986, you've done well - congrats.

LOLOLOLOL we gota gabillion aire here.

I dont smoke, but my dad started to smoke at around 16. 2 pack a day for years.
when he decided to quit he just stopped somking, gave all of his cigerettes away to friends. dosent seem like much of a struggle at all, but he later told me that he wanted to throw up everyday for a month, cold sweat, can't sleep, etc

what made him stop was the thought of not being able to grow old with my mom :/

Back
Top Bottom