CBR125 Dual sport. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR125 Dual sport.

I think this might be the fastest dual sport though, R1:

R1dirtbike.jpg

Hey all. I've been riding for 4 years since my 16th birthday on my CBR125 and last autumn I decided to take off some of the lower plastics and throw some dual-sport tires on it, just to see how it worked out. I'm from Newmarket, Ontario, but I go riding up to Bradford and take some of the trails sometimes. I thought I'd show you some pics of what I've done.

- Tires:
Front - Shinko 244
2.50-17 (90/80-17)
Rear - Shinko 244
3.00-17 (100/80-17)
(all tubes the same size)

The small problem I do find while going off-road is with the way that the handle bars are oriented, it starts to hurt your thumbs and wrists after a while, if you don't wear good gloves.

By the way, the bike now has 48,000 kilometres on it, and still runs like the day she was made! :] Except maybe a little smoother.

I just want to say THANKS "Ride Safe" for posting about the Shinko tires. I too have been inspired to convert my wife's 1st bike into a winter toy bike to ride on a frozen lake. Just completed installing my ice tire :agave:

20130123_194233.jpg426572_10151197035910771_773433669_n.jpg480441_10151197036085771_1043010880_n.jpg

I just want to say THANKS "Ride Safe" for posting about the Shinko tires. I too have been inspired to convert my wife's 1st bike into a winter toy bike to ride on a frozen lake. Just completed installing my ice tire :agave:

That looks badass! :cool:

My bike is officially at 60,000km now and I'm thinking about buying another one and doing a second attempt, or possibly just selling this one.

I always thought studs wouldn't work with the Shinko tire because it has ridges inside of each knob, which would prevent the studs from screwing in properly. I guess I was wrong though. :confused:

That looks badass! :cool:

My bike is officially at 60,000km now and I'm thinking about buying another one and doing a second attempt, or possibly just selling this one.

I always thought studs wouldn't work with the Shinko tire because it has ridges inside of each knob, which would prevent the studs from screwing in properly. I guess I was wrong though. :confused:

Why would you not just buy the 2013 CRF250L?

Why would you not just buy the 2013 CRF250L?

I've sat on the bike at a dealership. Its an amazing bike, no doubt, but it didn't seem like it would be very comfy for long distance riding. It may handle higher speeds better than the 125, but the dirt bike seat didn't seem nearly as comfortable, nor did the lack of a windscreen. Not that I'm saying the CBR125 is the most comfortable bike to go on trips with... I just wouldn't spontaneously think about going for a 2-3 hour ride on a dirt bike, as much as I would on a sporty style bike.

Plus, what's the fun in buying the 'perfect' bike when you can get your nose dirty and work on making it yourself! ;)

I've sat on the bike at a dealership. Its an amazing bike, no doubt, but it didn't seem like it would be very comfy for long distance riding. It may handle higher speeds better than the 125, but the dirt bike seat didn't seem nearly as comfortable, nor did the lack of a windscreen. Not that I'm saying the CBR125 is the most comfortable bike to go on trips with... I just wouldn't spontaneously think about going for a 2-3 hour ride on a dirt bike, as much as I would on a sporty style bike.

Plus, what's the fun in buying the 'perfect' bike when you can get your nose dirty and work on making it yourself! ;)

Rather than buy another cbr125 I would send the head out for machining to fit the next size piston and rings and replace the valves. I would also replace the clutch plates. Doing this, the bike should be good for another 60 k or so.

^ or, locate a cbr 150 motor which is a direct swap in.

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk 2

piston and rings off of ebay 20 dollars, valves and stems maybe 20 dollars?, clutch plates maybe $50 dollars, and to machine the head perhaps 50 to 100. There is no way you can buy another bike or swap the engine for the cost to do this.

LOL, ya I bought a perfect bike a KLX250s.

All I have to do is buy handguards, a skid plate, a mount for my GPS, open up the airbox, better air filter, maybe a muffler to open it up a bit, I better re-jet it too. better tires would be helpful depending on the conditions I will be riding in. Suspension might need to be upgraded a bit after a year or two. The 331 big bore kit sounds interesting.

I havent even picked up the bike!

The CBR125 Dualsport sounds like a blast, I would fix it up as others have mentioned

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but am I the only one that thinks putting a street bike into the dirt is just a bad idea? There are a lot of things about dirt bikes that are specific to the dirty environment, not the least of which is the air filter. Street bikes suck air in up front and their filters aren't designed to handle lots of fine dirt and dust.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but am I the only one that thinks putting a street bike into the dirt is just a bad idea? There are a lot of things about dirt bikes that are specific to the dirty environment, not the least of which is the air filter. Street bikes suck air in up front and their filters aren't designed to handle lots of fine dirt and dust.
You aren't the only one. Everyone agrees it's a bad idea.

Last edited:
FYI the engine air intake on a 125 is backwards-facing underneath the gas tank - not ram air, and it's up pretty high. It's about as well protected against sucking in water or dirt as anything else. There are other reasons why a cbr125 doesn't make a great dirt bike, but this particular situation is not one of them.

FYI the engine air intake on a 125 is backwards-facing underneath the gas tank - not ram air, and it's up pretty high. It's about as well protected against sucking in water or dirt as anything else. There are other reasons why a cbr125 doesn't make a great dirt bike, but this particular situation is not one of them.

That's definitely a plus, but the filter still isn't designed for dirt/dust environment. Maybe it could be modified to have a thin layer of oiled foam to help filter tiny dirt particles.

You aren't the only one. Everyone agrees it's a bad idea.

I met Ride Safe and he never once said it was a good idea, but he's a very upbeat have fun kind of person. He did all this to be a little different, not to redesign the wheel.

Considering you can pick up a used one for under 1K now, why not? I'd be lying if i said I hadn't thought of doing this myself (maybe not full off road, but a winter play toy with knobs). What a fun bike to thrash around.

Say what you want, but on last summer's cbr125 camping trip, on the gravel section of hwy 129 south of Chapleau, Ride_Safe kicked all of our butts.

I think I saw you on Davis one time, it was a white CBR 125 with white handgaurds. I did the biggest headlook ever as I rode by....kinda like what police do when I wheelie past them....JK, I don't know how to wheelie<.<.

Back
Top Bottom