Vstar 650 vs 1100 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vstar 650 vs 1100

I agree the V-Star 1100 is a completely docile bike. The 950 is another great choice.
I have a '97 Virago 1100. It weighs 480 lbs and shares the same motor and shaft drive as the V-Star 1100 which weighs 605 lbs. The 1100 on my Virago is a wonderful motor, it makes useful power (62 hp 62 ft/lb torque) with a pretty flat torque curve from 2000 rpm right up to the 7000 rpm redline. It's not scary fast but has plenty of grunt to get you out of a situation.

Going 2-up on the 1100 is no sweat at all, I have a feeling that the 650 would have it's work cut out for it.

I agree the V-Star 1100 is a completely docile bike. The 950 is another great choice.
I have a '97 Virago 1100. It weighs 480 lbs and shares the same motor and shaft drive as the V-Star 1100 which weighs 605 lbs. The 1100 on my Virago is a wonderful motor, it makes useful power (62 hp 62 ft/lb torque) with a pretty flat torque curve from 2000 rpm right up to the 7000 rpm redline. It's not scary fast but has plenty of grunt to get you out of a situation.

Going 2-up on the 1100 is no sweat at all, I have a feeling that the 650 would have it's work cut out for it.

Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the 1100. I'm also wondering if the 950 is better because it's fuel injected, but the downside is that it's belt driven. Any thoughts on the 1100 vs 950? Thanks

Sent from my HTC Panache using Tapatalk

That sounds like a great compromise and fuel injection a good thing, instant starts on cool mornings and really low maintenance.
It's a heavy sucker tho at 657 lb and that's before luggage gets totted up - lucky it's low ;) Cheap enough.

F800 ST BMW is a good do all bike and in my view much better seating position.
It's also belt drive so I'd not use that as a negative and it's close to 200 lb lighter!!!!

F800ST_bnr.jpg

http://www.motorcycles.bmw.com.au/scripts/main.asp?PageID=10751&ModelID=3000038&ModelCategoryID=50

Last edited:
Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the 1100. I'm also wondering if the 950 is better because it's fuel injected, but the downside is that it's belt driven. Any thoughts on the 1100 vs 950? Thanks

Nothing wrong with a belt drive. Typically lower maintenance than the shaft drive so I've heard. Also the belt absorbs some if the whip you get if you're not really smooth with the throttle on the shaft drive models.

Fuel injection is a bonus

The 1100 still makes 62 HP whereas the 950 is rated at 45 HP. That difference can easily be made up by gearing though.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll be checking out two bikes tomorrow, both used. One's a 950 and the other's an 1100. The 950 is newer by a couple of years but it's also 300$ more. However I do like the color of the 1100 and it's a Custom.

I will be street parking my motorcycle throughout the summer though, does this mean I should get the 950 given that it has fuel injection?

My gf will be my pillion on trips this summer, can the 950 handle the both of us and our luggage?

Again, thanks so much for all your inputs. You guys are awesome

GF comfort will depend on the seat - you have lots of torque and horsepower in any of these for two up touring.
Carbs are fine fuel injection better - don't make that a sticking point but couple years newer with fuel injection for $300 is a no brainer for me and might save a bit on insurance too but hey go with what you like so you are not second guessing.

Good review on the 950 here
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2009-yamaha-vstar-950-review-87474.html

Last edited:
Hi alphaChaser, IMHO - go large or go home.

Clearly you have the size to handle the 1100. Cruising on a bigger bike means extra HP when you need it.

so I bought a 2007 v star 1100 custom, she's a beauty. I'll upload some pics later, thanks for all your inputs!

so I bought a 2007 v star 1100 custom, she's a beauty. I'll upload some pics later, thanks for all your inputs!

Congratulations dude, enjoy your bike and welcome to the free world :)

Engine size is really not the issue. It's the weight of the bike. The 1100 doesn't really make scary power, it's quite smooth and easy to control in that respect. The biggest issue you will have is muscling it around at low speeds. That is a skill that takes time to develop, and is more difficult to learn on a heavy bike.

I've seen larger guys start on big cruisers without too much trouble, but those of a smaller stature tend to have more difficulty. Practice your slow speed clutch and throttle control!

And also how that weight is distributed. I had a vmax (heavy bike) and never had a problem because the center of gravity was pretty low, making it easier to recover if the bike inclines more than you want. On the other hand I also had a n old honda cb750 that was not as heavy as the vmax but had a high center of gravity. If it inclined more than 15, maybe 20 degrees while stopped it was really difficult to recover... Sit on the 1100, incline it a bit a see if it feels heavy.

Hey congratulations alphachaser!! Choosing the bike is just the begining. Now the fun begins. Ride safe and ride often. :)

Congratulations Alpha.
It's going to be a whole new world so enjoy it o the fullest.
How did you make out with the insurance?
Hope to see you on the roads and I'll be sure to give you a wave.

Nice! The black fork lowers and headlight bucket really pulls the style together. It might be older tech, but that 1100 engine always looked the part to me. It was on my "possible next bike list" last year. I even found a well-kept standard version kitted out for touring. The price was right, but it was gone before I could sell the ninja.

The motor is shared by a bike Yamaha SHOULD have brought to Canada--The Bulldog: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests...e-2001-yamaha-bt1100-bulldog-review/4088.html

It would have been a good deal more affordable and practical than the (still cool) MT-01.

Back
Top Bottom