Is riding really going to kill me? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is riding really going to kill me?

To some degree, I'd contend that if you have always been a safe driver, never been in an accident, typically notice 'things' before they happen and avoid, then you'll be a relatively safe rider. Granted on a bike you are smaller and less people will see you (and the risks are higher), so long as you are careful you'll be able to remove a lot of the risk (but obviously nowhere near all of it) -- At least that's how I'm viewing it as I try riding for the first time this season.

Again, know that it IS a risk and decide if it is one you are willing to take. That's what I did. On the flip-side, I've been in cars before with friends whom have scared my for my life (doing stupid things, not seeing other cars, expecting others to move/make room, etc) -- I'd never recommend getting on a motorcycle to them, as I know what the likely outcome would be.

Also as others might have said, ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) is another good thing to go by, and one I plan to use. You never know when something might happen, so always be prepared just in case (I'd never forgive myself if something happened the one time I didn't wear a jacket because 'it was too warm').

Last edited:
Life......would you rather be squeezed out of a tube..or shot out of a cannon?

Well statistically speaking, you are increasing your chances of dieing by riding a motorcycle and this increase is not trivial. Hope this puts your mind at ease :)

i'm good to be squeezed out of a cannon ;)

I am currently in the same boat as you, but I've decided to just go with it and not tell anyone. Yes, a lot of things mentioned are always at the back of my mind and I do realize how dangerous riding is especially after some videos I've watched of dumb drivers in Toronto (Helmet Camera of someone on here); However one thing people mention here which keeps me going is "will I regret it in the future?" I most likely will. Also some mention that they wish they had done it twenty years ago, so If I have that opportunity then why not? I don't want to see myself saying that in the future.

Do what makes you happy, no matter what, but be smart about it. We are here once for a limited time, live your life to the fullest.

Meh, how many people die of aids?, yet our population keeps growing. How man people die of heart attacks yet McDonald's keeps those big macs a coming, how many people die of cancer yet we smoke more, tan more and ingest more chemicals than ever. Bikes starting to look a bit better. The same people that tell you you'll kill yourself are most likely killing themselves with one or more of the above mentioned items. It's your life, live it!

It's good to understand the risks involved with anything you do. To take measures to prevent them from happening to you.

For many, motorcycling is a calling. It's a passion that burns strong in their soul. It's not an option. It's a requirement. It can be a hobby for some.

If you read some of the various threads, you'll discover a vast array of different personalities.

If you hang with a bunch of friends that all sing the same tune and you find yourself getting sick of hearing it, maybe you are ready to do something that is out of the norm for your group?

My Mom always tried to make me feel guilty about riding. It was one of her friends about 20 years ago that said to me, "Son, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

So far, it's worked with my Mom and wife of 15 years.

For my friends? I find new friends every riding season and have more fun with them than I ever had with my non-riding friends. The world is yours to discover. My friends that don't ride, only seem envious or want to know how I convinced my wife how I got two motorcycles while she has always wanted the garage for her car the last 6 years.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I used to have a job of being shot out of a cannon. After I quit the boss said, "it'll be hard to find another man of his calibre"....:lmao:

On a more serious note: Practice is well and good and of course very much a necessity but survival depends on also being very aware of your surroundings. You should learn that cars, whilst being unpredictable at times also have a "body language" and how the car is positioned in a lane and , if you can see the driver, how he is acting will give clues as to whether he might change lanes without signalling etc. The golden rule is to always assume the drivers around you don't see you and position yourself accordingly. That way you will get the knowledge and experience necessary to survive and enjoy. I've been doing this for close to fifty years and sometimes I feel very vulnerable in heavy traffic but being defensive and keeping cool will get you where you want to be.

Last edited:
If you ride for many years there is a very good chance that you will have some kind of 'mishap' sooner or later. Having a collision with a car, going too fast into a turn etc. I went about 18 years before anything happened. I did hit a car 9 years ago but I still ride. Don't live in fear. I see how people drive cars these days, turning without signalling, passing when there is a car coming, etc. I still ride because I want to...

Of course riding is inherently dangerous. Driving a car is dangerous too. People have different thresholds and risk tolerance. I'm suddenly reminded of Arthur C. Clark's third law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Except in this case "any activity sufficiently out of one's own comfort zone is indistinguishable from insanity".

Let them worry if they want but riding hardly = death. The vast, vast majority of riders do not die from motorcycle accidents the same way the vast majority of cage drivers do not die in car accidents. Do what you're comfortable with and be safe out there!

Btw, same principle differentiates ATGATTs and squids (well, sometimes). And that statistic about 1.7 deaths per 100 Million miles vs 35 for bikes... here's what the earth and moon look like from 100 Million Miles away:
CW0181616382B_RA_3_stretch.png

Last edited:
I'm also brand new to the sport (only ridden 3 months last season) and I started up because I've always wanted to try it. I've been thwarted when I was younger but now in a position where I can give it a go...and frankly I'm very happy that I've done it and cannot wait to pick up my second bike this weekend!

People who care will always try to talk you out of decisions which are hazardous to your health and well being...but in the end it is your life. What worked for me is basically keeping my family in the loop as to what I was doing and how I was going about the process of obtaining my license and bike...they don't love the decision I've made, but they are very supportive.

Yes it's dangerous, but ride with a clear and confident head (as others have stated), learn to read the traffic flow, and learn to spot the idiots and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Wait till you become the confessional for people who nearly hit a biker. I get it about once a month.
"Oh yesterday I went to change lanes and realized last second that there was a bike there. I nearly hit the guy"
I feel like responding back with "Your penance is 10 shoulder checks and 15 mirror checks"

I'm a new rider despite objections from mostly family. My sort of outlook on everything is "ignorance feeds fear". Although there were tons of negative things they could say, it was all from what they heard and not experience and i choose not to live my life like that. In fact i wouldn't call myself a daredevil, but there are things that i have tried and done that your average person wouldn't do. I typically get asked "why" and i say "why not?". If they've never been on a bike then i wouldn't even consider it something to affect your decision. There's tons of people that will say, "i know someone" or "i've heard" and never experienced anything themselves.
Bottom line if you are interested, go on the course and decide from there if this is something you want to do. There's so much to be said about this subject, but its a great step that you are on a motorcycle forum :)

Everything in life involves an element of risk. It is up to you to decide if that risk is justified in order to participate in a particular activity.

I have been riding for over 35 years and have heard all of those scare tactics. It is difficult to explain to non-riders, just being on the bike travelling down a twisty road simply feels fantastic. Every road you drive along will make you think of how much better that same road would be if you were on your bike.

Yes, riding is more risky than driving and in my first few years of riding I had two minor crashes, both of which were rider error. Because I started riding in the mid-70's, I did not have the benefit of the training currently offered to new riders. It was a case of take the test, get your "M" and then learn on your own. The training now offered provides the information I had to learn on my own, so you can avoid most problems.

Take the courses and practice as much as you can. Use every ride as a learning experience and study the actions of those around you. Most importantly, ride like you are invisible and be defensive.

For my friends? I find new friends every riding season and have more fun with them than I ever had with my non-riding friends. The world is yours to discover. My friends that don't ride, only seem envious or want to know how I convinced my _____ how I got two motorcycles..
Couldn't have said it better.

Wait till you become the confessional for people who nearly hit a biker. I get it about once a month.
"Oh yesterday I went to change lanes and realized last second that there was a bike there. I nearly hit the guy"
I feel like responding back with "Your penance is 10 shoulder checks and 15 mirror checks"

I hate this. It happens all the time, and not just about near accidents, all their feelings about every biker they see. :violent2:

Riding will NOT kill you. A sudden lack of oxygen rich blood flow to the brain will.
How and when that lack of flow occurs is out of your control.

It can happen any number of ways, on a trampoline, on a bicycle, in a swimming pool,
on the ice playing hockey, skiing into a tree, falling down the stairs, aneurysm, heart attack, stroke,
psychotic EX on a rampage, bungee jumping, skydiving, plane crash, drive by shooting, shopping at a 7-11 after dark,
serving your country, car accident, motorcycle accident.

With so many ways to die it's a miracle so many of us make it to retirement, let alone old age!

The amazing thing about life is none of us will make it out alive anyway.

Back
Top Bottom