Is riding really going to kill me? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is riding really going to kill me?

MR_ActionTime

Site Supporter
Most of the people in my social circle don’t ride a motorbike and haven’t taken a ride on one either.

As I come close to picking up my first bike, I get all sorts of discouragements :banghead:

-) “You’ll Die”
-) “Disabled for life”
-) “They are soo dangerous”
-) Brother: “know of someone who had to have a hip bone replacement.” (or something along these lines)
-) “If somebody opens their car door on the street, your gonna die if you bump into it”,

and the best (yet the worst) of all was

-) “The good thing is that if you get into an accident, you won’t need to go to Rehab, cuz you’ll be dead”

-) .... and many more.

Then I get presented with the following articles and stats: :confused1:

From CAA Website:
1) Motorcycles are the most dangerous type of motor vehicle to drive.[1] These vehicles are involved in fatal crashes at a rate of 35.0 per 100 million miles of travel, compared with a rate of 1.7 per 100 million miles of travel for passenger cars. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has reported increasing numbers of motorcycle deaths associated with alcohol-impaired driving in recent years, especially among persons aged => 40 years.
[2] To determine trends by age group in motorcycle fatalities overall and in those involving alcohol impairment, CDC analyzed data from the NHTSA Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) for 1983, 1993, and 2003.

Some Statistics about riding:

I plan to ride for fun and NOT to be a Street Racer and certainly not to be a stunt man. After hearing that many discouraging statements, I’m wondering if it’s really that bad and if people currently riding do feel it to be as dangerous. :sad11:

My understanding is that most of the people get into an accident because somebody else didn’t check their blind spot or didn’t look carefully and the biker pays the cost of their negligence. On the other hand, if one is planning to race on the highway with friends, then the above statements are probably true. But that’s not my intention.

Please share some of your experiences about accidents that you know of or better yet seen.

Some tips on "what not do" would help as well.

"The biggest risk in life is.. not taking one."

What about all the people that died sitting in their living room?

Truth is.. 80% of accidents are rider error, or some ridiculously high number. Riding beyond their skill level, coming in too hot on a turn, not riding defensively, etc. There's many people that are well in their 60's and they're safe.

I've had some close calls, but I'm a dare devil by nature, so riding for me was something I've wanted since I was a kid. If you're SCARED to ride, then I wouldn't recommended it because that fear will bite you in the ***. I ride because I enjoy it, I'm not scared of the bike or the road or other drivers.

I've seen some riders on the road that are so unbalanced and wobbly that it's scary. Then I've seen others that demand such huge presence on the road that cars notice them and give them their space. How you ride, depends on your skill and confidence.

Last edited:
riding a motorcycle is obviously dangerous. More so then a car is a given. If you understand the risks associated with riding, and are okay with taking the risk then its your choice. Don't let ignorant people tell you otherwise. Its your life and your choice.Motorcycling is my life, if I die doing it then so be it, it makes me happy.

Like someone else already said, it's your choice. Riding is a lot of fun, and you get to enjoy some places much more than when you drive through those spots in a car. But you also have to consider the dangers - awful Toronto drivers, crappy weather (you only get to ride 6-7 months a year), and risks of falling/getting into accident obviously. Yes, many accidents are due to rider error, and many are due to drivers not seeing you. No one should be saying that you're going to die, it's just plain stupid. But you have to be prepared - get the best gear, as much training as you can, and be careful while driving. Will you fall? Well, most of us did. Does it hurt? Yes, it does. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

haha been through that . . but next thing you know after your friends see your bike and you share how much fun you have . . .next thing you know i have converted 5 friends into riding and they're getting their m2 through RTI this May.

one advice if you're just starting is take a riding course, they really do a good job on teaching you how to ride safe. Once you get through all that and get a bike .. don't get over your head and take things reallll slow . . you need to constantly remind yourself to take it easy especially if your getting a sport bike .. i swear the way your body is positioned on it just gets you amped to go fast lmao in contrast to a laidback comfy cruiser.

loaded question on a motorcycle forum, but life is for having fun. If your not having fun, what are you doing? Why go to work? Would you rather live your dreams or let them be just that, dreams. Will you look back in 20 years and regret not doing it? Anything worth doing is "dangerous", just manage the risk and act responsible.

The comments you're receiving shouldn't be discouraging - they should be exhausting. If you're already in the process of buying the bike, this is something you should have thought about many times over. Riding is dangerous, and the consequences of errors are dramatic. The important thing to remember is that you're in control of the bike, and just about everything that happens to you while you ride is also within your control.

You have good friends. They know it's dangerous, but they lack the passion to overcome that and probably think you're a little nuts. However, it seems like you're unsure and with second thoughts. That is more dangerous than anything else and will be your undoing, so make sure you fully understand the risks and are committed before you ride.

No risk, no reward.

"The biggest risk in life is.. not taking one."

If you're SCARED to ride, then I wouldn't recommended it because that fear will bite you in the ***. I ride because I enjoy it, I'm not scared of the bike or the road or other drivers.

I'm not scared, but when you hear 10 out of 10 people telling you bad things about it, I guess its natural to build observational bias. I'm scared of anything

I've seen some riders on the road that are so unbalanced and wobbly that it's scary. Then I've seen others that demand such huge presence on the road that cars notice them and give them their space. How you ride, depends on your skill and confidence.

Now those are good points. How do I make sure that

1) I balance the bike well. I guess it'll just come time time but ANY TIPS at all will really help.

2) Ask for HUGE space on the road so that other cars around me are bound to give it.

My hope is to set an example where I can prove all those people wrong. If I get hit by a drunk driver.... well then, somethings really are not in our control now, are they !?!?

Some tips:
- Master your bike... practice constantly
- If you're going to test your limits, do it in a safe place
- The masses are predictable but individuals are not, give yourself as much space as possible
- The further up and back you look the more predictable things become

I have had the same problem with all my friends and family as well, to the point of some of them not speaking to me any more. I stopped riding because of it and put it off until now. I thought I had given it up for good but the desire never went away. Don't let other people scare you out of it.

Don't listen to other people (except for me). They don't know what they're talking about.

life is a Gamble...Do what make you and only you happy, if your going to ride and always have that "Is riding going to kill me?" in mind then i would say riding is not for you......

1) I balance the bike well. I guess it'll just come time time but ANY TIPS at all will really help.

2) Ask for HUGE space on the road so that other cars around me are bound to give it.

My hope is to set an example where I can prove all those people wrong. If I get hit by a drunk driver.... well then, somethings really are not in our control now, are they !?!?

First things first, take a beginners motorcycle course if you haven't already. You're not gonna be able to mitigate your chances of survival by just reading an internet forum.

I'm not scared, but when you hear 10 out of 10 people telling you bad things about it, I guess its natural to build observational bias. I'm scared of anything

Just because 10 out of 10 people tell you bad things; doesn't make it bad. That's their ignorant opinion because they don't know any better. The rest of the world relies heavily on two wheel transportation. China and India are the largest populations in the world and they have more motorbikes than cars.

As others have stated, practice, practice, practice. If you really want to prove all these people wrong, then you must practice and own that bike, not let the bike own you.

The one piece of advice I can give you is, take your time. I started off on a 1985 VF500 for a couple of months, then I waited 4 years to get my next bike because I knew I didn't have the mental capacity to slow down; I would have killed myself. Slow and steady is the best way to learn-- accidents happen when you're too eager as I've said before!

I'm a new rider as well, and that decision has come with nothing but doomsday predictions from family and friends. But your time on this planet is fixed regardless, so I choose to make it exciting - within limits.

Now that I've been on the road for a couple weeks, I'd say the first rule I follow is to never ride beyond my limits. All my turns are at low speeds, I never ride in groups, and I focus on improving my skills rather than zipping thru traffic.

Take it slow, and have fun.

OP - bikes are dangerous... you have to be confident in yourself and your abilities.

but no amount of preparation or skill can prevent ALL accidents... so you have to weigh the risks to rewards.

and your friends are saying that because they care about your well-being...those are some great people.

You are getting an amazing response. It's good you know the risks, and you are blessed to have the friends you do. However, it's your life, and you have to do what 'feels right'. Commit to it or don't and if/when you do - enjoy every second. I (unfortunately) was nailed by a drunk driver 7 years ago, yes it almost killed me, no it wasn't my fault. In two weeks I'm picking up my new bike. I have never been happier. When you're out there riding, you'll know if its 'for you' or not pretty quick.

Yes, it will - can I have all your stuff??

P.S. It's dangerous to think you'll get hurt doing something - if you think like a victim, you may in fact become one. There are a lot of good responses in this thread, so I won't rehash what has already been said. But drive with confidence, drive with a sense of understanding and drive like others are out to get you and you should be fine (look at members on this board who have been driving for decades who have never had any accidents - no one says you need to be part of the statistics). Ride and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom