Good roads for trip to the Maritimes from Toronto? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good roads for trip to the Maritimes from Toronto?

Mig21

Hey

We're thinking of going to Nova Scotia one of the weeks in the summer, and I wonder if anyone here has advice on nice riding roads on the way?

By the looks of it there isn't much to choose from between Toronto and Quebec city unless we take big detours, but seems like the maritimes themselves have some potential. We can cross into the US too if there's something good there.

This is roughly the trip we're thinking of, but I'd like to take it off major highways onto better riding roads if I can find them.

Or is there some generic way to find better roads? Maybe pick the ones with most twisties on google maps?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a passport? I see that you're avoiding some good roads in NY, VT and NH.

Do you have a passport? I see that you're avoiding some good roads in NY, VT and NH.

I do have a passport. I'm not exactly avoiding US roads, it's just that I'd like to go to the maritimes and through Canada is the most direct way, we'll only have a few days (maybe a week).

Thanks for the link Lightcycle, I'll try to make a route using them, though it looks like most of the routes listed there go north-south (at least in Maine) which is the wrong direction for us.

I've done your route in a cage and it is a very uneventful drive. Not posing a judgement but that would be a dreadfully boring ride. Your time frame is really tight and direct would be best. Brace yourself for a highway beating.

I have also done the trip by bike, through the US as suggested. It is a fantastic alternate and definitely the most enjoyable part of the trip.

Whatever you choose I hope you have a safe trip.

Do you remember which roads you took through the states? I think I know what you mean about the boring part. If it's all like the 401 in the GTA it would be a complete waste of time. Though I've heard that in New Brunswick there are much nicer roads.

Get yourself to Burlington Vt. by the shortest route possible then pick up US route #2. It's a pretty nice road and will take you all the way to Bangor Maine. You can pick up route #9 there to Calis/St. Stephen N.B. then head to N.S. from there. Or; go over to the coast of Maine from Bangor if there's a ferry to N.S. - not sure. It'll take about the same time as thorugh Canada but be way nicer riding. The road from Que. down through N.B. is also boring now that they've widened it.

I do have a passport. I'm not exactly avoiding US roads, it's just that I'd like to go to the maritimes and through Canada is the most direct way, we'll only have a few days (maybe a week).

Thanks for the link Lightcycle, I'll try to make a route using them, though it looks like most of the routes listed there go north-south (at least in Maine) which is the wrong direction for us.

The most direct route is through the north eastern states; NY, VT, NH and Maine. It may be a bit longer because of speed limits and going through towns, but the scenery and roads through the states is much better.

http://g.co/maps/ynpc8

Back
Top Bottom