March 2012: What condition are the northern roads? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

March 2012: What condition are the northern roads?

I've been meaning on doing Southwood for many years now but it seems like it's always sandy.

Was hoping to do a trip up to Elephant Lake area at the end of this month. I hope it's clear by then.

As Tom noted earlier, the eastern half of Peterson Rd had some sand but now it's mostly rideable - good clean tire tracks to ride on.
518 and Ravenscliffe were very clean.
Harburn Rd and Kennisis Lake Rd were clean.

The only dirty roads I encountered were the Old Nipissing Trail and Watts Rd (off Kennisis Lake Rd).
1100kms and it was a very clean day overall - though we didn't venture onto Southwood 13.

Black flies were out in full force.

Update on northern roads: May 27, 2012

Google Maps link

So I did the following route this Saturday and thought I would provide an update on the following...

Southwood Road
As of today it's still sandy, but you can enjoy it at a decent pace... that is, no "spirited" rides. There's sand in the middle of each lane in various parts, but the tire tracks are all clear. This means that you can't hit that apex perfectly and need to ride the tire track through the turn, so you have to go a bit slower. The 2nd railroad crossing has sand all over the road just before it (going north), and of course the 3rd rail road crossing will give you some air time if you're going fast enough (I of course slowed down o:-]). Watch out for turtles, and of course any 90 degree road turns have sand on them as well.

Muskoka Beach Road
Almost all clear, aside from very few sand spots in the middle of the road, it's good to ride.

Highway 25 / Brackenrig Road
This road is nice, except there is a section of it that is unpaved, so if you're rocking regular street tires, you'll be going below speed limit and trying not to wipe out for about 5-10 minutes, of course it's worth it due to the roads that await.

All the other roads are fine. The bug splattering is in full force, so keep the visor down. :cool:

Peterson / Elephant Lake Rd is in pretty good shape. I didn't bother with Southwood today.

Southwood is still a write off.

I just went through today and to be honest I thought it was as good as I've ever seen it. Yes there was sand in the middle of both lanes, but the left and right tracks were clear in every single corner. No problem with a reasonably quick pace*.

*Do not ride Southwood 13 if you're trying to put a knee down, you will die.

lots of sand on sw13, I wouldn't ride quick on it !

sandy on cedar beach and muskoka beach.

elephant lake actually good!

Update on northern roads: May 27, 2012

Google Maps link

So I did the following route this Saturday and thought I would provide an update on the following...

Southwood Road
As of today it's still sandy, but you can enjoy it at a decent pace... that is, no "spirited" rides. There's sand in the middle of each lane in various parts, but the tire tracks are all clear. This means that you can't hit that apex perfectly and need to ride the tire track through the turn, so you have to go a bit slower. The 2nd railroad crossing has sand all over the road just before it (going north), and of course the 3rd rail road crossing will give you some air time if you're going fast enough (I of course slowed down o:-]). Watch out for turtles, and of course any 90 degree road turns have sand on them as well.

Muskoka Beach Road
Almost all clear, aside from very few sand spots in the middle of the road, it's good to ride.

Highway 25 / Brackenrig Road
This road is nice, except there is a section of it that is unpaved, so if you're rocking regular street tires, you'll be going below speed limit and trying not to wipe out for about 5-10 minutes, of course it's worth it due to the roads that await.

All the other roads are fine. The bug splattering is in full force, so keep the visor down. :cool:

Highway 25 / Brackenrig Road is now super smooth where it was paved.

Muskoka Beach Road is okay, though sometimes on really hot days those tar snakes make it unbearable to be honest.

Southwood Road / highway 13 is less sandy now, and I'd say it's still worth it if you wish to connect with other roads.

Btw, 518 is amazing, with lots of beautiful twisties and great pavement. So is the Bunny Trail further up north.

McDougal / Hurdville has some rough patches but it's also fun to go through to connect with the Bunny Trail.

Highway 25 / Brackenrig Road is now super smooth where it was paved.

Muskoka Beach Road is okay, though sometimes on really hot days those tar snakes make it unbearable to be honest.

Southwood Road / highway 13 is less sandy now, and I'd say it's still worth it if you wish to connect with other roads.

Btw, 518 is amazing, with lots of beautiful twisties and great pavement. So is the Bunny Trail further up north.

McDougal / Hurdville has some rough patches but it's also fun to go through to connect with the Bunny Trail.

Thank you.
On my way out the door shortly, 518 today, onto Bancroft. Long way over to Parry sound upto Sudbury and do it all again coming back with a few different routes

Thank you.
On my way out the door shortly, 518 today, onto Bancroft. Long way over to Parry sound upto Sudbury and do it all again coming back with a few different routes

Most of the roads as other riders have said are great. #3 was amazing. Near French Lake saw a cub wonder across the road. With the usual exception of Southwood. From 11 to roughly half way it is OK. Coming round the corner to the train tracks fully covered in sand. After that is only about 4/10. Turning left after Bala was great.
Pick your line and it is not too bad, however, I did not trust what I could not see. Phew, thank goodness in some cases. Back end wondered a few times.

Back
Top Bottom