March 2012: What condition are the northern roads? | GTAMotorcycle.com

March 2012: What condition are the northern roads?

Haven't even given a single thought of going that far north yet! Caledon (just now) was bad enough. Sand everywhere, and what little snow we had that got trapped between the trees, is currently melting and running over the road.

Niagara roads seemed decent enough for the time of year.

I'm in Orangeville and at this time of year I have to ride like I'm on a cruiser. Slow in the corners, faster in the straights. Just way too much sand everywhere. I had the rear tire on the FZ1 slide out twice this weekend and I wasn't going very fast at all - actually well below the speed limit in the tight twisties.

I'm in Orangeville and at this time of year I have to ride like I'm on a cruiser. Slow in the corners, faster in the straights. Just way too much sand everywhere. I had the rear tire on the FZ1 slide out twice this weekend and I wasn't going very fast at all - actually well below the speed limit in the tight twisties.
Let me revise that. I went for a ride after work today. The rain must have done a job on Sunday night and Monday. I took Hockley at the same speeds that I would during the summer. Mono Centre Rd had visible dust in the centre of each lane and lots of mud/dirt/sand at the cross streets and farm entrances. But it isn't as well travelled as Hockley.
There was still some snow and ice visible in the shade and shadows. So it might not be all that clear further north. The less travelled the road, the worst the conditions will probably be.

I would suspect Southwood 13 has some sand spots.

I saw some pictures of Southwood 13 from my friends who were driving in a car this winter.

Potholes galore.

I would suspect Southwood 13 has some sand spots.

Most of last year it was covered in sand.Maybe the locals left it that way on purpose.Till going past Bala then everywhere it was great.Specially the section that goes to the 400, clean and fantastic.Thats the section when you turn west just past the bridge.

507 was fine last weekend with occasional (and obvious) sand between tire track areas.

Roads to Bobcaygeon and area were fine Thursday eve.

Its that time of year were you can expect some sand almost anywhere to ride accordingly. The most likely spot that you'll get caught is making a right turn at a light or stop sign. Sand seems to accumulate in areas like that and for some reason we are not as likely to notice it.

..Tom

I went for a ride up North today and the roads were crap.

Hmmm, lets see...

Big Chute = Sand + lots of crap
Hwy 632 = Sand + lots of crap
Aspdin Road = Sand + lots of crap
Hwy 45 = A lot of sand + a lot of crap
Ravenscliffe (Hwy 2) = You guessed it, sand + lots of crap
Highway 518 = Sadly, lots of sand and crap...except for the 80 zone near the 400.
Highway 38 = The only road that wasnt covered in sand. There was some between the tire track and on the double yellows.

Most of the roads except for the commonly travelled ones had sand covering the whole road except for the tire track here and there. Otherwise you're pretty much riding on sand all day. Oh, and it got way more bumpy, threw me into a tankslapper a couple of times.

The verdict....dont even bother going to Muskoka until till it rains hard at least a couple of times.

I went for a ride up North today and the roads were crap.

Hmmm, lets see...

Big Chute = Sand + lots of crap
Hwy 632 = Sand + lots of crap
Aspdin Road = Sand + lots of crap
Hwy 45 = A lot of sand + a lot of crap
Ravenscliffe (Hwy 2) = You guessed it, sand + lots of crap
Highway 518 = Sadly, lots of sand and crap...except for the 80 zone near the 400.
Highway 38 = The only road that wasnt covered in sand. There was some between the tire track and on the double yellows.

Most of the roads except for the commonly travelled ones had sand covering the whole road except for the tire track here and there. Otherwise you're pretty much riding on sand all day. Oh, and it got way more bumpy, threw me into a tankslapper a couple of times.

The verdict....dont even bother going to Muskoka until till it rains hard at least a couple of times.

Lol GJ taking me there for my first long distance ride and scaring the **** outta me.

Nothing but sand.

Last edited:

I would go a step further and say end of April. The amount of sand up there could fill an empty beach.

OP-Watch the Barrie Rides thread as these guys will give us the OK when the roads get better.

Not quite all.

River Road, North of 89, is a quite a mess.

Most of the other well travelled, paved roads, are okay, with just odd patch here or there.

Thanks for that.Was hoping to do River road next week on the way upto Southwood road.Guess i am too hopeful.Oh well.

Thanks for that.Was hoping to do River road next week on the way upto Southwood road.Guess i am too hopeful.Oh well.

I dont think Southwood is a good idea yet. There are roads much more traveled and wider than Southwood that still have sand all over it. I'm going to bet you wont even be able to see tire tracks on some portions.

I dont think Southwood is a good idea yet. There are roads much more traveled and wider than Southwood that still have sand all over it. I'm going to bet you wont even be able to see tire tracks on some portions.

Remember it from last year and most of the season had sand scattered here and there.Guess I am too ambitious.A couple of years ago saw a Mini on Southwood and the only reason he/she was there was to drift, waited behind for a while and was fun to watch.

Between Barrie & Orillia;

Bass Lake Side Rd. = Sand
Ridge Rd. = Clean but rough
15/16 = Fairly clean, be carefull at Line 7, Pavement has sunk from the sanders
Old Barrie Rd. = Good
Horseshoe Valley Rd = Good

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom