March 2012: What condition are the northern roads? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

March 2012: What condition are the northern roads?

I did a 600km ride yesterday. A very winding way north of Napanee. Rode some Westport back roads, on to Perth, Smith Falls, back down through Kingston, and then the Loyalist Highway, across the Glenora ferry, through Prince Edward County, and back to Newcastle.
Overall, I thought the roads were in excellent shape, FOR MARCH. Some spots were quite clean, but other spots were terrible. I certainly wouldn't recommend ripping through some of those twisties. (especially Westport back roads)
As always, exercise caution, and show some restraint.
Even in the summer, I prefer not to go too fast unless I KNOW the road. (as in I rode that same stretch earlier that day)
I remember going north up the 507, (the road was clean), turning around and coming back down south. In that time, someone had turned off the 507, onto one of those gravel roads, spinning their tires, and spraying gravel all over the road.
I guess what I'm saying is, you never know for sure.

In my cage today I came across 17 this afternoon thru Mansfield ( next east west road south of River ) and it had a fair bit of sand in some of the corners. I would expect river road to be quite sandy for a while yet.

In my cage today I came across 17 this afternoon thru Mansfield ( next east west road south of River ) and it had a fair bit of sand in some of the corners. I would expect river road to be quite sandy for a while yet.

Guess I`ll skip River this weekend.
Thanks "BimmerMike"

Even though it was snowing, roads up to and including 507 were fine on Sunday. 503 and 118 to Bancroft were in Great shape. 620 through Coe Hill had the odd bit of sand on hilly spots but otherwise pretty good. 504 from 620 to 46 was heavily sand covered. 48 was fine, as we're all the roads we travelled on from Hasting back to Port Perry (18/Rice Lake Rd, 10 up to Millbrook, 21 to Pontypool, etc)

Smith-Ennismore-Lakefield-20120401-00332.jpg

..Tom

Last edited:
I was up in Bala today for work ( in my work van ) major roads were fine, took one of my favourite twisty back roads and it was heavily covered in sand. 632 was clear at the south end, little bit of sand once you got close to Rosseau. 141 to High Falls Road was clear.

I am in a group ride up to Muskoka today and here is what someone provided as a report for us:

Gents - I was out from 7:00 to 10:30 this morning. Your favourite back roads are still very sandy in places. Southwood/13 is clear in open areas, but in the wooded spots there is still a great deal of sand. Same with Coopers Falls/6. The north part near 118 is the worst. A tiny bit chilly too must say...

Sounds like we need another big rain... I'll post if we encounter anything different.

I just got back from a most excellent group ride from Barrie to Muskoka (Windermere) and back. The quote I posted above is pretty accurate.

All is fine from Barrie up to Southwood Rd (Road 13). Southwood starts out with patchy sand here and there. Further North you get bare tracks in the sand around corners. There are a few places where the sand was washed across the road (i.e. no bare tire tracks at all). It is pretty much as sandy as I have seen Rd 13. There are spots where the sand covers the whole lane just over a rise :surprise:. It gets really bad just before where the flat rock shows at that conservation area. From there is gets better as you go. As far as heaving - it is not bad - likely due to the mild winter.

All the other roads were fine - not much sand (Bala North to Windermere then east and south to Bracebridge).

I wish I had better news. Ride safe!

I have some time to ride through the Muskoka's and Algonquin area this Sunday.

Anyone been on the 518/Ravenscliffe?
How about the 507, Buckhorn #3, Essonville Line or Peterson/Elephant Lake Rd?

I have some time to ride through the Muskoka's and Algonquin area this Sunday.

Anyone been on the 518/Ravenscliffe?
How about the 507, Buckhorn #3, Essonville Line or Peterson/Elephant Lake Rd?

507, Buckhorn, #3, Essonville and Elephant Lake were fine two weeks ago, the eastern half of Peterson had a lot of sand.

Cant comment about 518.

..Tom

Any updates from today? I'd like to head out tomorrow and go north if the conditions are favourable.

Entire area is pretty good, I could spend all day banging of street names lol. Between 118 up to 518 and 11 to 400 :)
Smaller cottage roads still have sand here and there, but mains are fairly clean.
Havnt been on Southwood yet but I'm sure there still sand on it.

Thanks. I'm sure Southwood is a write off until Thanksgiving, so I'll avoid it, as always.

Back
Top Bottom