Parking Ticket due to faulty parking machine | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking Ticket due to faulty parking machine

IrishIce

So the other day i got a pay parking ticket on my bike, PARK VEHICLE ON PRVATE PROPERTY WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE PROPERTY OWNER OR OCCUPANT.

Now the issue i have with this parking ticket is that i park there all the time, i buy my parking pass for 5$ for 12 hours of parking. i have the stubs of previous parking times that i paid for with my credit card.

But when i drive my Motorcycle i don't carry my credit card, i only carry my Licence and cash, i went up to the machine put in 5 dollars and pressed the button, nothing happened, pressed to get my money back, nothing came out. so i proceeded to park my bike write a note saying "Machine broken, paid for parking" and stuck it on my passenger seat. so i go grocery shopping with my friends and come back. and see 3 tow trucks and a meter maid, so i'm like wtf going on. run up the stairs and see them towing some cars. then i see a parking ticket on my bike, so i run up to the metermaid and ask him why i got a ticket. he said i parked without paying, as did the owner of the lot who called them to come and ticket and tow cars/bikes. I explained to them that i paid my money and it did not dispense a parking pass, and left a note on my bike. the lot manager then proceeded to say "well if the machine doesn't work don't park here and you wouldn't get tickets now would you?"

So if i take my ticket to court would i have a justifiable case. Is it not the responsibility of the lot owner to make sure that their machines are working? and even in the case that i am still guilty should i not be reimbursed my 5$ that was stolen by his machine :mad:

Unfortunately you have no proof of payment. That makes it tough to fight. If you had called the number that was likely displayed on the ticket dispenser, then you could at least support your claim, somewhat, with cell phone billing records.

What he said.....^^^^^

you could have also gone to another machine as well...

always call and report the machine number of the unit that is not working, you might or might not get your money back, back you have proof that you called in, machine is malfunctioning, and ticket would more than likely be cancelled....

but it's easier to hit another machine to get a parking pass

What's stopping you from taking your credit card when you are on your bike?

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a credit card for purchases like this if there is the option to do so - because of the traceability of the transaction.

I've had a situation where a parking ticket machine took my credit card but didn't print the ticket.

If it's impark, you can try your luck on the dispute and I think they let the first offence off without much of discussion.

If it's impark, you can try your luck on the dispute and I think they let the first offence off without much of discussion.

Based on the wording it sounds like a city ticket, not one from Impark. Similar situation to the one that I recently had in which I received a ticket for illegally parking on private property, in a lot that throws its gates open on Sundays.

What's stopping you from taking your credit card when you are on your bike?

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a credit card for purchases like this if there is the option to do so - because of the traceability of the transaction.

I've had a situation where a parking ticket machine took my credit card but didn't print the ticket.

Losing my credit card 3 times on my bike makes me not bring it anymore.
But seeing as this power tripping jerkoffs like to ticket all then time ithink i may just have to bring my card.:( And the parking was Precise ParkLink.

Can you not find a better lot?

I used to get free parking downtown about once every 3 months when the machine broke. I wrote the MACHINE BROKEN not on the previous day's ticket.

Losing my credit card 3 times on my bike makes me not bring it anymore.
But seeing as this power tripping jerkoffs like to ticket all then time ithink i may just have to bring my card.:( And the parking was Precise ParkLink.

Curious, how does this happen?

If the credit card is in your wallet where it should be, how do you just "lose" it?

I am gonna start following you around when you ride.

Just a long shot but could you ask to have a record of tickets issued and cash received from that machine on that day? This would prove you paid (or at least someone) and did not receive a ticket.

Based on the wording it sounds like a city ticket, not one from Impark. Similar situation to the one that I recently had in which I received a ticket for illegally parking on private property, in a lot that throws its gates open on Sundays.
If that is the case...you wouldn't need to take it very far. Call 416-393-PARK & they'll probably fix it/waive it for you. In the future, if there's a booth tell them about it so you can get a record on file to make the whole process smoother if you get ticketed.

Really unfortunate incident ....
but i think it should be brought to notice off the department as it may at least stop others from going through the same ordeal.

So the other day i got a pay parking ticket on my bike, PARK VEHICLE ON PRVATE PROPERTY WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE PROPERTY OWNER OR OCCUPANT.

Now the issue i have with this parking ticket is that i park there all the time, i buy my parking pass for 5$ for 12 hours of parking. i have the stubs of previous parking times that i paid for with my credit card.

But when i drive my Motorcycle i don't carry my credit card, i only carry my Licence and cash, i went up to the machine put in 5 dollars and pressed the button, nothing happened, pressed to get my money back, nothing came out. so i proceeded to park my bike write a note saying "Machine broken, paid for parking" and stuck it on my passenger seat. so i go grocery shopping with my friends and come back. and see 3 tow trucks and a meter maid, so i'm like wtf going on. run up the stairs and see them towing some cars. then i see a parking ticket on my bike, so i run up to the metermaid and ask him why i got a ticket. he said i parked without paying, as did the owner of the lot who called them to come and ticket and tow cars/bikes. I explained to them that i paid my money and it did not dispense a parking pass, and left a note on my bike. the lot manager then proceeded to say "well if the machine doesn't work don't park here and you wouldn't get tickets now would you?"

So if i take my ticket to court would i have a justifiable case. Is it not the responsibility of the lot owner to make sure that their machines are working? and even in the case that i am still guilty should i not be reimbursed my 5$ that was stolen by his machine :mad:

Something like this happened to me. The day I got the ticket, I took it to -I don't even know what it's called, the parking ticket authority's HQ on John St. If I remember correctly, they made me fill out some form to spark an 'investigation' of the machine in question. I don't remember paying anything to have this done.

A letter came in the mail eventually, that said -I think, we could find anything wrong with the machine but next time something like that happens, don't park there. I think you have two weeks or less to do this, but, I didn't have to pay for the ticket.

You guys all have it easy... I on the other hand parked my car in a park in Hamilton to go on a bicycle ride, paid the $2 for 2 hours at the machine, put the printout on the dashboard. When I came back (before the 2 hours was over), what I find is a goddamn ticket for 89 dollars! Says "expired payment", and the ticket was placed a mere 20 minutes after I paid and left the car, lol! I called the number and left them a pretty angry voicemail! I'll call tomorrow, but how does one go about fighting a parking ticket? Is this something you can fight in court? I have a witness--my 8 year old daughter, lol

Are you sure it has your plate number on it.

Yes, it does!!!

I also paid it with my credit card, so I have dashboard receipt, credit card record, my daughter as a witness, phone call to them and voicemail before my payment was even expired yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom