1996 Honda CBR 900 - Power Delivery (Manageable or Wild)? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1996 Honda CBR 900 - Power Delivery (Manageable or Wild)?

So...odd. I don't remember any internet posts I made 5 years ago, let alone ever gone back and brought a long-dead thread back to life.
I'm sure if I reread my posts 5 years ago, I would be arguing & fighting with myself. My personality & outlook probably changed

If you could do it again would you? I myself ride the KTM 690 Enduro R and I love the torque. Was thinking of getting a 2000+ gsxr750. Not sure anymore... maybe i need a vtwin.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
I haven't ridden KTM 690, but I want to:)
From my experience, if you like torque, 750 may not be enough for you.

I just switched from my 98 GSXR 750 to 06 GSXR 1000 -1, +2 and love it. I now get similarly-felt amount of torque at 4k as I used to have at 10k on 750, in other terms 4th gear acceleration on 1000 feels as 2nd gear on 750. And beyond the 4k, it's all new territory as compared to 750, at 7-8k in 2nd and 3rd the 1000 pulls so hard that I have to really hold on not to fall off.

In my opinion, for fun purposes on the street, don't get an in-line 4 superbike below 1000cc (I specifically searched for a pre-2007 GSXR 1000 for more, earlier torque). On my 750 I used to seek empty roads, or just taking chances in the city to get that torque acceleration rush as "feel-good" acceleration comes beyond all the speed limits even in 1st gear given the tall gearing. On my K6 1000, I can have that same torque and short-shift without high RPM sounding like a racer on the street and below any insane speeds. 1000 feels so much more fun.

I kept both bikes for a few months riding them back to back as I thought I could be uncomfortable on a smaller newer gixer (K6) and the SRAD is a legend many regret selling, but I sold my SRAD confidently because my K6 1000 is just more fun for me and pretty much just as comfortable yet firmer.

I still go slower on 1000 in the corners though vs 750 after 3 months and probably always will.

Overall, if you like torque of your 690, you may need to look at two-cylinder larger engines or 1000 and 1000+ sports and nakeds that are torque focused (Aprilia 1100, bmw 1000r, suzuki GSXS1000 or earlier pre K7 GSXR 1000).

Last edited:
Hi all, after 15-year pause, I am planning to return to riding this Summer of 2012 (got my M2 in December of 2011) so this is not a "first bike" type of question.

I had ridden 160kg, two-stroke 350cc street bike for 4 years back in a day and before that a number of smaller bikes and scooters for a couple of years. I had a few minor accidents and injuries and by now realize the risks or riding. This is to say that I am comfortable with bike controls and riding in general. I got my M2 on Humber's 250 Virago which felt rather slow even after not riding a real motorcycle for many years, but I have never tried a true sports bike or heavier bikes than my 160kg first bike though.

After having read multiple posts, articles, etc, my understanding is that the modern 4-cylinder bikes (600,750 and 1,000cc) have very abrupt and thus dangerous power delivery curve which may be considered a major risk (rider's discipline with the throttle is assumed here). My understanding is also that heavier Busa and Kawasaki 14 may be considered even easier to ride for some, but I am not sure I am ready for either of the latter heavier bikes.

I am looking at 1996 CBR 900 for a number of reasons. One of the major reasons is JevCo's 15-year rule to de-classify older SS bikes as "regular". The true reasons are the bikes light weight, moderate for 900 cc power (I assume this fact would make this power more manageable), the fact that Honda seems to receive rider-friendly reviews for its sports-bikes and certainly the Fireblade's heritage and reputation in its days. Can anyone comment on the power delivery and rider-friendliness of this bike (or CBR '92 to '99 in general)?

Is the 1996 CBR 900 would be ok to get back into riding for a 6'1, 180 pounds 34-year old with riding experience on other bikes?

PS I also look at Thruxton, KTM Enduro 650R and Ducati 1000 GT.

Any insight from your own experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I wanted to follow up and answer my own question 8 years later with my experience now, in case anyone is looking for answers for the same question.

I ended up buying and enjoying a 98 GSXR 750 (fuel injected, 135 hp) that was one of the lightest, best handling and the best superbike of that year, before R1 came. Moreover, at its age of 15 years, it qualified as standard for insurance with Jevco (when Jevco was around). Let me summarize my impressions:
1. power is very manageable, smooth, easy to control and predict and it is not abrupt, bike never power-wheelied, thanks to GSXR map
2. serious power comes at very high revs, so you have plenty of time to make your decisions, even then, it's not crazy, unless you already going fast
3. even being one of the lightest and the best handling bike of it's class, my personal opinion, is that it felt heavy and I had to counter-steer it into turns while I naively expected it to just to follow my body leans
4. overall, I found life with an in-line 4 Suzuki GSXR 750 very comfortable, but not as much fun as I expected, until I bought a K6 1000

Last edited:
I started reading this thread thinking 'what the hell is going on here' Then I looked at the dates .... lol
just building a "body of knowledge/experience" here via sharing my experiences with others by documenting my impressions. I am returning the favour; I received a lot of good advice here when I asked my question. Having a an opportunity to learn and share experiences is why I registered here in the first place.

Last edited:
and 3 years later
he's up to 8!

OP is lighting the place up
I choose to believe these are just silly jokes, otherwise it's pretty sad focusing on the count of someone's posts... Are you very proud of making many posts on GTAMotorcycle forum J_F?
Are all of you posts so uninformative?

Last edited:
I choose to believe these are just silly jokes, otherwise it's pretty sad focusing on the count of someone's posts... Are you very proud of making many posts on GTAMotorcycle forum J_F?
Are all of you posts so uninformative?

some of my posts are less informative

don't be so defensive
of course that post you quoted was in jest

Back
Top Bottom