Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

Also, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

My 19" Specialized hardtail fit larger than my 19.5" Trek, and about similar to an 18" GT I tried.

Often, you can google geometry charts. Top tube length is a good measure.

Also, this is a great site for specs, etc. http://www.bikepedia.com/

A lot of sound, detailed advice here... I really appreciate it.
I had no previous knowledge of bicycles and this thread definitely educated me.
Thank you!

No prob. Glad to help, and hope you end up enjoying riding. Someone may as well benefit from my experience.

FullMotoJacket knows what he's talking about too.

PM me if you start looking at a specific bike and want advice.

Also, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

My 19" Specialized hardtail fit larger than my 19.5" Trek, and about similar to an 18" GT I tried.

Often, you can google geometry charts. Top tube length is a good measure.

Also, this is a great site for specs, etc. http://www.bikepedia.com/

That's a good point and made difficult by the sloping top-tube designs. Most people don't have any clue about their top tube length though..although that is, I think, the best measure.

No prob. Glad to help, and hope you end up enjoying riding. Someone may as well benefit from my experience.

FullMotoJacket knows what he's talking about too.

PM me if you start looking at a specific bike and want advice.

I think I'll enjoy it once I decide what it is I want out of it.
So much new information right now that I'm honestly overwhelmed.
I'll definitely be in touch, thank you.

Last edited:
I think I'll enjoy it once I decide what it is I want out of it.
So much new information right now that I'm honestly overwhelmed.

You're welcome to borrow my Rocky Mountain. Give it a go for a couple weeks and make sure it's something you want to shell out $ on.

The obvious - "you break it you bought it" rule applies ;)

You're welcome to borrow my Rocky Mountain. Give it a go for a couple weeks and make sure it's something you want to shell out $ on.

The obvious - "you break it you bought it" rule applies ;)
I appreciate the offer but I would hate to borrow it and have something bad happen. lol
Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it.

I'm sure it's something that I'll enjoy, especially because I used to bike a lot when I was a kid.
I can see the fun/benefits it will provide plus I really want to get in shape. So it's a win-win.

I appreciate the offer but I would hate to borrow it and have something bad happen. lol
Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it.

I'm sure it's something that I'll enjoy, especially because I used to bike a lot when I was a kid.
I can see the fun/benefits it will provide plus I really want to get in shape. So it's a win-win.

If you're looking to "Get in Shape" Stop looking for Full Suspension bikes.

Now I'm sad. Both my bikes are resting quietly in the basement. Every time I'm doing laundry they ask if its nice out yet.. It's not. :(

On the plus side, they do a great job of drying non-dryer-friendly items.

Once or twice a winter I'll get out my old mountain bike and go for a ride. Fresh snow tends to work best.

On the plus side, they do a great job of drying non-dryer-friendly items.

Once or twice a winter I'll get out my old mountain bike and go for a ride. Fresh snow tends to work best.

My bikes dry my hockey equipment.. :)

I'm liking these excuses.

I'll be watching the news tonight from the comfort of a well worn Flite. 1 on, 4 off. repeat.

My Minoura Mag Trainer has gathered dust this winter. You're a better man than I, FullMoto.

That said, it's nice not having to collect shredded knobs and tire residue off the leather couch behind the trainer :D

There was very little difference between XT and DX. The big jump was between 730/2 XT and M900 XTR (ball bearings vs bushings, cold forged vs hot forged). Even then, the performance wasn't that much of a leap. The big difference was iin strength, durability, and longevity (the perfomance would stay consistent longer before dropping off due to wear).

And of course, the bling factor.

Thanks FullMoto - I couldn't remember the model up from XT and then mixed up what I could remember about the components (kudos for catching this, it actually brings back a host of research I did back then when I first got into mountain biking e.g. reviewing Gripshift as the big competitor to Shimano and which system was better).

Cheers!

e.g. reviewing Gripshift as the big competitor to Shimano and which system was better).

Cheers!

Pffftt...calling GripShift a competitor to Shimano is being a bit generous.. (ducks..) :)

Used them all and nothing beat a clean/lubed 800 X-Ray for DH/DS/4X. For XC, whatever was on the bike sufficed. Thumbies FTW.

Unfortunately, Grip Shift fell out of fashion before it got good! The ESP 9.0 series was quite nice, and was the forerunner to X0, X9, X7, ...

Now for something truly obscure, does anyone have Sachs drivetrain parts? Or SunRace?

Back
Top Bottom