Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

Re: The Official GTAM Bicycle Thread!

Will be looking at the basic Norco line of fat bikes for winter use. Totally stoked. A summer of pedalling my Kona Jake has me in the best shape ever. Don't want to lose it over winter.

Let me know what kind of coin they want for the Norcos. Can probably get you on a KHS for a lot less.

Let me know what kind of coin they want for the Norcos. Can probably get you on a KHS for a lot less.

The base model is 1050 at Ancaster Cycle (not in stock last I checked) next one up is like 1500 or so. Googling KHS fat bike now. Thanks.

Compared them side by side. Part spec and MSRP on the KHS are both better. From your quote on the Bigfoot 6.1, my guy's MSRP ---> retail is much more aggressive than Ancaster. Bro price, moar better. Myself, I'd start with 6.2/1000, hydros being the biggest factor.

Ah, who am I kidding. I'd end up with a Moonlander or Mukluk w. custom 1x11 XTR set-up and 6 pot Hopes. ;)

Ended up getting a smoking deal on a 2015 Giant XTC 1. Been having a blast already.

Bikes are getting very interesting these days especially now that 2016's are just over the horizon. Very competitive market place, prices not going up much despite $ slide. Of course one could always buy NOS sitting on the floor from last December for $100 off.

Question for the bike guru's. My Giant XR sat for a few months unused. When I went to take it out, the rear brake was seized and the bike wouldn't move. The lever was stiff. The bike has hydraulic disc brakes. What would have caused this?

Sent from my Passport

That's rather unusual. Was it hanging or sitting? Mine sits all winter and I've never had that happen. Do you know which hydraulic brakes you have? (e.g. Shimano XT or Hayes etc..)

ive had quite a few bikes with this sort of issue come through my shop.

some bikes have a hydroscopic fluid in them, like a mineral oil, rather than brake fluid.

bleed the brakes a small bit. they absorbed some water in the line and now theres more fluid in them

That's rather unusual. Was it hanging or sitting? Mine sits all winter and I've never had that happen. Do you know which hydraulic brakes you have? (e.g. Shimano XT or Hayes etc..)

My money's on Hayes.

Another one for the gurus. I spent the day cobbling a hitch mount carrier together and in the process found the bikes' wheelbase to be something like 15mm longer than Norcos online geometry chart. Nothing changed on the bike at all from stock. 15 mm is quite the difference. I wonder how common that is and can any other figures be trusted?

Last edited:

Nothing changed on the bike at all from stock? 15 mm is quite the difference

Nothing changed on the bike at all from stock. 15 mm is quite the difference.

Nothing changed on the bike at all from stock. 15 mm is quite the difference?

ive had quite a few bikes with this sort of issue come through my shop.

some bikes have a hydroscopic fluid in them, like a mineral oil, rather than brake fluid.

bleed the brakes a small bit. they absorbed some water in the line and now theres more fluid in them

Yup, the local bike shop bled the brakes and all appears to be fine now.

The Giant site says my bike is supposed to come with Shimano M395 brakes https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-CA/bikes/model/roam.xr2/12349/58271/#specifications

but upon closer inspection, it appears I have "Avid" Elixir 1 brakes as thats whats written on the handle and it looks identical to this pic.... https://www.sram.com/avid/products/elixir-1-hydraulic-disc-brake

O well, love this bike and it always puts a smile on my face.

<-----winner!

Let's just say the distributor has boxes of lever/masters on hand for warranty.

avidJPG_zpsvn78izwi.jpg

All this bike talk makes me want to go buy a hardtail already. So anyone want to chime in on the 27.5 or 29er debate?

I'm holding out for 28.25

?Nothing changed on the bike at all from stock. 15 mm is quite the difference.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

?Nothing changed on the bike at all from stock. 15 mm is quite the difference.

Maybe nothing changed on the bike at all from stock? 15 mm is about the difference of one bike size. Check other geometries versus the Norco size chart to see if maybe they mislabeled the size of the bike at the factory.

Back
Top Bottom