Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

Better late than never...

Going to look at this bike tonight:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.27.5.3.2015/18608/76016/#specifications

Thoughts?

27.5 is a happy medium so it works for me, hydraulic brakes, 9-speed cassette, XCM HLO fork, double walled rims and an Alivio rear derailleur.

Are you looking new or is it a kijiji find? Picking a used MTB is pretty much the same as looking at a motorcycle and mostly what you're looking for is dings/bearing issues.
If you're looking new I'd recommend trying kijiji for a good used find as you'll get a much better bike (usually the more expensive the bike the better it's been taken care of as well).

27.5" is the new standard size for mtn bike wheels? Where have I been?

27.5" is the new standard size for mtn bike wheels? Where have I been?
Under a rock. 29 is actually. Some have just made a happy in the middle with the 27.5. I'm still riding 26 though and love it but when it's time I'll go 29er all day over a 27.5

I generally find Norco to be a pretty decent, yet reasonably affordable, brand.

Re: The Official GTAM Bicycle Thread!

Can you go off road with this style of bike? Wouldn't front and rear suspension on a bike like this be the ultimate? What would be the ultimate road bike / mountain bike combo? .

Last edited:

I saw someone on a unicycle at Eglinton and Martin Grove yesterday.

Can you go off road with this style of bike? Wouldn't front and rear suspension on a bike like this be the ultimate? What would be the ultimate road bike / mountain bike combo? .

There is no such thing as an ultimate road/mtn combo. People, mostly out of ignorance, think that they can be lumped together but road cycling and mountain biking are extremely different. There is no such thing as a bike that does road and mountain well.

Cross bikes try hard here, but can't deal with soft ground.

For a fun commuter bike I put 700x28 tires on a Titus FCR 29er. It wasn't the best at anything, but it was always a pleasure to ride. It took much less effort to push around than knobby tires and took the edge off crappy pavement conditions that rattle your body on a true road bike. In the hills, the real road bike walks away from it (even locked out the fork sucks up some energy), but it was a good compromise.

I'll add to the you can't have both. There's a somewhat in the middle but it won't do either well. While my full suspension mtb may only weigh 21 lbs, it's a pig on roadways compared to my road bikes. I've seen people with flat bar commuter mtb style but personally I wouldn't want one. It's like saying you want an off road/sport bike. Not going to happen.

You want different features on a bike depending whether you want to go up a mountain or down a mountain. Or bike across the country, or commute to work, or race on the road or indoors. The way to get the ultimate bike, or anything, is to have a purpose for it first.

Purpose is compromised riding for some. The ultimate bike for that would be great.

The sad part is you're right. Guess how expensive that gets though :mad:

Guess? I don't need to guess.

Well, I bought the bike! If anyone is familiar with some light trails around the Ajax area, please post up!

Back
Top Bottom