Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

Mina

Site Supporter
The Official GTAM Bicycle Thread!

Currently in the market for a bicycle, preferably a mountain bike.
Not planning on doing any serious trail riding but having the option is nice.
Full suspension is a must and I prefer front disc brakes.
I'm buying used, so I set a budget of $500 max.

Any ideas?
Came across a Schwinn Graft that caught my eye.

Last edited:
Full suspension but you have no intention of hitting any serious trails? Seems like a waste of energy to me.

Anyhow if you want something half decent for $500 you'll be buying used. I got my Cannondale Jekyll for $600 and it's a very competent bike. It's a 2002 but still has lots of good parts. XT hydro brakes front and rear, XT components, lefty shock. Pretty decent kit.

Pinkbike or Kijiji will probably be the best places to look.

Like I said, I don't mind having the option of full suspension, in case I stumble across any trails in my area.
My main reason for getting a bike, is to get in shape and lose a few pounds.
I'm not competing or racing or anything like that.

Caboose, since you know a thing or two, what are your thoughts on the Schwinn I mentioned above?

schwinn-graft-full-suspension-bike-for-699_6848482.jpg

Caboose, since you know a thing or two, what are your thoughts on the Schwinn I mentioned above?

I'm not caboose, but I play one on TV.

The Schwinn is a URT bike, and a crap one at that. You have been given good advice. Find a decent name brand hardtail (front suspension) on kijiji.

GT, Cannondale, Trek, Giant, Norco, , Brodie, Rocky Mountain, and KHS for starters.

Speaking of bicycles, didja see Lance finished second in the Panama Half-Ironman today?? 41 years old...maybe he wasn't doped all those years.....

Like I said, I don't mind having the option of full suspension, in case I stumble across any trails in my area.

I thrash single-track pretty well on my hardtail, as long as there aren't 20' drop-offs. Unless you spend good money on a full-suspension bike, they're mush to ride any serious distance. If you get a good one with suspension lockout you're doing alright. Caboose and FMJ know bikes..they've got some good advice for ya.

don't buy a full suspension bike if you're only going to spend 500 for a new bike, you'll be getting cheap components, minimum of $1000 if you want decent full suspension. only advantage of disc brakes is if you're riding in wet conditions.

I was recently looking for a MTB as well and found Pinkbike was much better when shopping for more "capable" bikes. (Less scouring through the old kids bikes) There is actually what appears to be a good deal on a Gary Fisher Sugar 1 right now that you can probably pick up for less than the $550 asking....and no...it is not me selling it.:rolleyes:
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread but is there a GTAM type forum for the GTA mountain bike scene? I do want to get into competition and more serious trail riding (York and Durham regions and the Don Valley trails) but know few other riders who can show me ropes.
Actually I have a ton of questions so I should have started another thread....sorry.
Oh yeah...avoid the Schwinn and all other CT and WalMart bikes. You will easily find a much better quality used bike for $500 (especially if you go hard tail) and in turn will probably end up riding it more than a cheap new one.

I'll take that into consideration while I shop around, thanks for the tip.

I checked Kijiji last night. Seems to be a lot of overpriced junk on there. Anything that is a good deal likely won't last long so you'll have to be ready to pounce on something if it does come up. Check often. Pinkbike generally has better bikes as its more of an enthusiast website. Although a majority of the bikes on there will probably be pretty far out of your price range. There's not really anything wrong with a 6-10 year old bike so long as it's been maintained. When I got my Jekyll I rode it up and down the street, made sure the shifters were tuned well, brakes worked, no klunks or squeaks, everything seemed tight. I had to put a new BB in it over the summer but they do wear out from time to time. $40 and half an hour to replace it. This winter I'm getting it new brake lines and pads and if upgrading the shock to a Fox Float L if i can find one reasonably priced.

is there a GTAM type forum for the GTA mountain bike scene? I do want to get into competition and more serious trail riding (York and Durham regions and the Don Valley trails) but know few other riders who can show me ropes.

RFG

Thanks for the info guys. This will be useful down the road for me too.

I checked Kijiji last night. Seems to be a lot of overpriced junk on there. Anything that is a good deal likely won't last long so you'll have to be ready to pounce on something if it does come up. Check often. Pinkbike generally has better bikes as its more of an enthusiast website. Although a majority of the bikes on there will probably be pretty far out of your price range. There's not really anything wrong with a 6-10 year old bike so long as it's been maintained. When I got my Jekyll I rode it up and down the street, made sure the shifters were tuned well, brakes worked, no klunks or squeaks, everything seemed tight. I had to put a new BB in it over the summer but they do wear out from time to time. $40 and half an hour to replace it. This winter I'm getting it new brake lines and pads and if upgrading the shock to a Fox Float L if i can find one reasonably priced.
Thanks for the advice caboose, spring is not here yet so I still have a bit of time.
I'll keep checking Pinkbike and Kijiji and if I see anything that might be interesting, I'll post up here and ask for feedback.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll keep you all posted.

Back
Top Bottom