Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

Re: The Official GTAM Bicycle Thread!

I have a Felt F85 road bike that is currently being used on a windtrainer in the basement. I'm just using my old running shoes right now. Any suggestions for a pair of not too expensive but comfortable shoes & clips? I have wider feet and normally wear a 4E width running shoe.
I'd be looking to buy them from the west end, near Mississauga area and looking forward to getting outside.
Thanks!

I have a Felt F85 road bike that is currently being used on a windtrainer in the basement. I'm just using my old running shoes right now. Any suggestions for a pair of not too expensive but comfortable shoes & clips? I have wider feet and normally wear a 4E width running shoe.
I'd be looking to buy them from the west end, near Mississauga area and looking forward to getting outside.
Thanks!
When it comes to shoes everyone finds something different comfortable. I have wider feet as well and have always found shimano or Louis garneau the most comfortable. Sidi if you want to spend and at first they're snug but they did break in nicely. Not sure where in mississauga area but if the belfountain area isn't too far let me know and I can send you to my friends shop in erin. There's also Caledon hills cycling in Inglewood and they're great to deal with.

So I tried taking advantage of the decent weather today and with salt still on the roads, I decide to ride my bicycle instead of my motorcycle to work. Holy ****.

I rode from Harwood + Taunton in Ajax to Whites road + 401 in Pickering (About 15 Km's). Had to call someone to pick me up. :(

Endurance tips are welcomed.

Last edited:

So I tried taking advantage of the decent weather today and with salt still on the roads, I decide to ride my bicycle instead of my motorcycle to work. Holy ****.

I rode from Harwood + Taunton in Ajax to Whites road + 401 in Pickering (About 15 Km's). Had to call someone to pick me up. :(

Never heard of taking baby steps bud? ;)

Seat time - you need some and it will help those muscles you don't use often that are needed for cycling.
An easier gear will help you go longer and be easier on our legs, but it's slower to cover distance.
As you probably know - 15km is nothing and after a bit of seat time you'll be laughing that you thought it was tough:)

When it comes to shoes everyone finds something different comfortable. I have wider feet as well and have always found shimano or Louis garneau the most comfortable. Sidi if you want to spend and at first they're snug but they did break in nicely. Not sure where in mississauga area but if the belfountain area isn't too far let me know and I can send you to my friends shop in erin. There's also Caledon hills cycling in Inglewood and they're great to deal with.
I'm near 403/Winston Churchill. My lady does Ironman's and I'll ask her if she knows those stores, because she trains out there. Belfountain or Erin would be a good ride out and back!

As you probably know - 15km is nothing
This is why I'm a little ticked off to be honest. I thought I could do this ride with no problems. I had maybe another 8K's to cover but I just couldn't do it man. I'll get more seat time in for sure. Gonna try and ride home tonight.

First time I went for a run after many years I lasted about 10 minutes and was huffing and puffing and felt like my legs seized. Now 10k runs feel like the minimum I should do. After I got the trainer for the basement, the first time cycling I lasted about 15 minutes, now I'm doing an hour after only a few weeks. Keep at it - it's all about consistency.

Shane nailed it. Seat time. By the end of summer you'll laugh at 15 km. I won't even go for a ride if it's that short. That's about half an hour once you're conditioned to it

I'm in the same boat as the OP was a bit ago so I'd figure I would post here. Anyone know of any current deals? Looking for a mountain bike to get back into the sport. Budget $500ish which would suggest I am looking for used hardtail. I'm about 6'1 so Large or 19" frame?

Thanks in advance

Different brands will fit differently but most likely a Large.

Check Pinkbike and Kijiji for decent deals. I agree, used hard tail with decent components will serve you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16410476009_540851e617_z.jpg

16595673872_1243e9c58a_z.jpg

Decided to go with platform pedals instead of the clipless style. If anybody is interested in the above, please PM me. They're like new condition and only used a handful of times.

Shoes are:
Shimano SH-M088L

Pedals are:
Shimano PD-M780

Last edited:

Decided to go with platform pedals instead of the clipless style. If anybody is interested in the above, please PM me. They're like new condition and only used a handful of times.

Shoes are:
Shimano SH-M088L

Pedals are:
Shimano PD-M780

PM me with size and price on the shoes and pedals.

21" might be big for you but a shorter stem and seat adjustment might be enought to make it fit well.

A front wheel could be a bit expensive. From the language used it doesn't seem like he knows much about the bike.

BB will be $50-$100 and not too hard to change if you have tools.

Spec sheet looks pretty decent.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/bikes/model/talon.29er.1.ge/19078/76999/

Will be looking at the basic Norco line of fat bikes for winter use. Totally stoked. A summer of pedalling my Kona Jake has me in the best shape ever. Don't want to lose it over winter.

21" might be big for you but a shorter stem and seat adjustment might be enought to make it fit well.

A front wheel could be a bit expensive. From the language used it doesn't seem like he knows much about the bike.

BB will be $50-$100 and not too hard to change if you have tools.

Spec sheet looks pretty decent.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/bikes/model/talon.29er.1.ge/19078/76999/

Yeah, i'm pretty mechanically inclined with a well stocked garage so I don't see that being a big issue to get sorted. I was wondering about the frame being too big also, thanks. I'll pop into a bike shop and have a chat.

A co-worker suggests going with 27.5 wheels stating they offer most of the benefits of 26&29ers with the punitive weight reduction of the 26 and loss of manoeuvrability associated with the 29ers.

Last edited:

I recently switched to a 29er and you do need to be a bit more mindful of where you put your front tire but i didn't really notice a reduction in agility. It sure rolls fast though.

Back
Top Bottom