Cracks in side of tires. How unsafe? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cracks in side of tires. How unsafe?

Johnny5

Obviously i know i need to get a new tire as soon as i can, but is it safe to ride it like this in the meantime come spring until i can afford to get it replaced? The tire is a tubeless Bridgestone Spitfire S11, 100/90/18. My bike weights about 510lbs and i am around 240lbs. I'm still new to riding (since last summer) and haven't reallly gotten into doing the tire pressure vs. weight figuring out yet.

I bought the bike in September and at the time i don't remember seeing any cracks in the tire. The rear tire was new and is still fine, but the front i have no idea how old it is. I really can't say for sure when the cracks started or if they were already there but sometime around October or early November i noticed them, they go all around the sides near the rim and are a couple millimetres deep in places. The tread itself is fine and still has lots of depth. I did around three highway trips of 300k in late October on them like this before i noticed. Was i pushing my luck?

DSCN1762.jpg

DSCN1738.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jonny 5, Please think of why you bike. Well to keep up that enjoyement please be safe. That tire may last you for the next 12K, or let go all ot once. Do not take chnces with your saeftey or others. I think you know the answer. Safe biking, Hnadlegrip.

Whats the date stamp on the tire?

Whats the date stamp on the tire?

Looks like a 2000 or 2006

OP weather checking or cracking like this is a gamble. Like the first poster wrote it could wear out or blow tomorrow. It's a game of chance at this point.

I have 14 yrs in the commercial tire industry. His post is as true as it gets.

Ride safe

I didn't see one. where would it normally be?

Handlegrip i agree i want to be safe. I just thought i would ask anyway because i've still been riding the bike, and rode up until the week after xmas and was hoping to get in a few more rides until spring without winterizing it. I spend a bunch on gear at the bike shows and couldn't find the tires locally so i'll have to wait until spring to order them i guess.

I didn't see one. where would it normally be?

Handlegrip i agree i want to be safe. I just thought i would ask anyway because i've still been riding the bike, and rode up until the week after xmas and was hoping to get in a few more rides until spring without winterizing it. I spend a bunch on gear at the bike shows and couldn't find the tires locally so i'll have to wait until spring to order them i guess.

Last 4 digits of DOT. First 2 are week second 2 are year of production

09 What causes the cracking on a tire? Age? freezing cold?
I have 2 brand new tires in my garage ready to go on in the spring , but the garage is not heated.
Will the tires be ok or is it bad to keep tires in an unheated garage?

09 What causes the cracking on a tire? Age? freezing cold?
I have 2 brand new tires in my garage ready to go on in the spring , but the garage is not heated.
Will the tires be ok or is it bad to keep tires in an unheated garage?

Many things can cause that kind of cracking:

Ozone (UV rays) see this alot of RV tires.
over loading
Chamfer separation (more so on commercial truck tires, imagine its rare on auto and moto)
oh and cold weather may play apart of tire compound cracking especially in tires designed for high heat applications (but cracking should be visible else where on the tire not just localized to side wall.

These will be the most common reasons. Age, ozone and low air pressure will be the biggest reasons these conditions will show.

Last edited:
Try to order the tire from a shop that doesn't have a bunch sitting around getting old on the shelf. I think it is even the same rims used in the pic as you have :)

Pete's super bikes
100/90H-18 FRONT +CA$ 72.95 S-11

bridgestone-s11-pair_1.jpg

tires are cheap.....replace them!

I rode my bike with cracks in the tires for a good 500 but they i got on the highway and was scared ******** of them popping so i ended up buying new ones the cracks on the backtire were okay but tue front changed my steering big time! I couldnt go more than 20 k around a corner lol

Johnny5,

To be honest, I can't believe you're asking this question. Replace now or stop riding your bike.

If money is such an issue, im sure you can pick up used tires somewhere.....and someone will help install them.

Damn that tire is more wrinkled than an Old Lady's face.
I've gotten something like that before and its usually caused by poor air pressure or if the bike sits around too long.

I replace tires if I see any cracks now. In my younger days, I would purchase better condition used tires to be economical.
Better safe then sorry.

Myself, I would replace that tire first thing in the spring. Order it now and then you can have it installed without missing any good riding weather. It looks like the code is 3806 to me so that tire is almost 6 years old and should be due for replacement anyway.

With damage like that it doesn't matter if they were manufactured yesterday, they're garbage. They will fail before they wear out.

When will they fail, you ask? You'll find out when it happens, so the real question is how important is it to you to know the exact failure date?

Back
Top Bottom