Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

You can see the problem here
Screenshot2012-02-28atFeb28201242659AM.jpg

Screenshot2012-02-28atFeb28201243609AM.jpg

Lol, you sir, have cojones of steel - I wouldn't even attempt the unpaved shoulder on an Ontario road with those (I'm actually surprised you haven't actually blown the front tire)!

Keep 'em coming, your stories and pics make for an enjoyable pass-time.

I'm jealous, I hate u :(

Do those things eat ppl? cuz I plan to go there sometime in life

Nah just bugs, if you have one in the house you almost never have to call a pest guy. Generally they are harmless but can scare the **** out of you if they surprise you, Oh and make you paranoid as hell if you see one climb in through the window and run under your bed at night.

Cojones?? - well knew the front was was getting there but did not realize how far along.

NOW the front is twitchy for the moment on the road til the new tire wears down the little bumps - put on a 50/50 Kenda 270 front for directional stability

http://www.standoutnet.com/extras/mike/motorcycles/klr650/tires/kenda_K270.jpg[/IMG[
and thinking about what to do on the back - dealer sez I'm okay for a bit more and he had no 17s in stock. Still thinking about it - 50/50 or 70/30

Got a pair of used bark busters installed - damn these things are well bult - incredibly strong design and protection.
[url]http://www.barkbusters.net/products/14.html[/url]
and put the stock clutch lever back on so some progress.
Bike is at rideable now safely.

Oddly enough this photostream I cam across covers both the Clohesy and many sights around Cairns including in Cairns just blocks from where I am. So for those interested in this part of Aus it's a good mix.

[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/72793939@N00/5174298208/in/photostream/[/URL]

It's a big stream and covers the general area quite well.
Enjoy

Bloody aches and sore legs from so much stand up riding - got to do more - will be better now I can trust the front to go where I point it. Gonna go up to the area again with just the front 50/50 on and see how it feels once the aches die down - hopefully tomorrow if no rain. The knobbies add some height so considering a lowering kit which I had on my previous KLR. Will likely cope this year.

Trying to figure out boots.....need something comfie but still good protection. Tried some mx boots but too heavy and kid has sold his. Want something in between mx and touring.

•••
[B]Want to come here......[/B]?
Just remember Australia is huge with a diverse climate and terrain. It's close to the US in size but smaller than Canada in population so lots of empty between population centres and range is temperate in the south where most people are to full tropics ( here ).

Coming in the Coral Coast/Cape York area is a treat as you have great things to do in a relatively compact space and it's one stop from Canada.
We have two World Heritage zones right next to each other - Great Barrier Reef ( closest to land ) and the Kuranda Rain Forest.
[URL]http://www.cairnsattractions.com.au/cairns.php[/URL]

we have bought some rainforest land in Kuranda - 13 gloriously twistie km up the coastal range with a view to live there eventually
[URL]http://www.kuranda.org/[/URL]

This of course is a must do
[URL]http://www.ksr.com.au/Pages/Default.aspx[/URL]
train up and the Skyrail down. Think there is a Skyrail shot over Barron Falls we took last year.
Might actually go back to Myola Road tomorrow and have a look at the river now we have some rain and there are some easy trails in the area.

One reason I'm so attracted to the area. Dozens of National Parks in the area no where near the off road restrictions of S Ontario - tho it is changing. Aussies in this area are big time into camping, 4wd/offroad mcycle, fishing and boating and weather is simply superb tho hot in Dec/Jan.
None of the big city crush - but reasonable sophistication.......nice thing you really don't care if it rains ( other than slippy ) - feels good as it cools things and you dry off shortly.

Last edited:
BTW IF you are going to fall over on a muddy hill riding a too bluuuudy heavy KLR.....good to have some muscle along :D

halfwaypoint.jpg

Postscript just floated in from Glen on the left.

The bloke sitting on his bike is Ken (Kenno on Adv), then theres me (Glen or galbo950) and the big stocky bloke was Stu (ken's mate, also used to beon Adv as badccky but he has been banned). Hope you enjoyed the ride, sorry if it was a bit technical, didnt set out to injure anyone. It took us a bit longer to get back, we took the "HILL OF DEATH" on the way back. Took a bit to get up but we all managed after nearly having heart attacks and coughing up lungs.

was quite happy to be heading home at that point and even the hot shots get beat up by ma nature and gravity

Whacking good storm tonight so will revisit that almost empty Barron River crossing at the end of Myola Road tomorrow weather permitting. I suspect it will be well under water and no i won't be crossing it.
Stay tuned :D

Creaky in Cairns ( my quads are killing me ).

Last edited:
NOW the front is twitchy for the moment on the road til the new tire wears down the little bumps - put on a 50/50 Kenda 270 front for directional stability

I run a 270 on the rear, worked ok in the mud the one time I did take it off road, it likes to shimmy if you ride it hard or fast on pavement, sort of like the KLR itself...think I will get one for the front this season and ditch the old death wing. No point having a KLR that can't play in the dirt.

Did you do the T mod for water crossings or is it a stock setup?

Stock - what is the TMod?

Still mulling over the rear tire - leaning to a 70/30 something as I do like twisties but one of the riders in that group is also a tourist as well so maybe will go with 50/50 all around.
Done most of the twisties anyways and with the knobby on the front will have to be careful.

Thanks for insight - let me know on the TMod.

ah never mind - found it - now THAT is a good thing here. Much appreciated.

it allows you to go thru water crossings.
it takes under 5 minutes and costs $1.60.
if its not on this forum, go to www.klr650.net

Last edited:
Cojones?? - well knew the front was was getting there but did not realize how far along.

Cojones = balls, you have big brass ones my friend, for riding anywhere with that front tire. :p

No worries, might be the best 2 bucks you will spend on the bike down there...I have yet to find anything that beats KLR650.net for tech info on the bike....a pump or 12V compressor also helps as the tires will perform better if you air them down for trails, then back up for pavement...

Will the bicycle pumps do it. Changing pressure is new to me tho on the Bultaco's other trialers they were always low
There is no power socket on the KLR for a compressor.

Heading down for the Tmod today and decide on a tire - there is a new Kawasaki dealer in town.

•••

Dr S do realize that was a 90/10 dual sport tire and passed safety inspection about 1500k previously so it's not like it was a knobby worn down that far.......still it was not appropriate to the terrain and getting iffy on the road too.

It shouldn't be a big deal to find a accessory socket to hook up to the battery (ring terminal or alligator clips). They're only a few bucks at CT--they even have a spring loaded cover to prevent gunk from getting in. Then you could use a mini compressor. A bicycle pump would work, but it takes a while, even with bigger portables.

I was reminded of this thread when I ordered Kangaroo-wurst downtown recently. Not too shabby. 160 km in the dirt? Crazy. Keep it coming.

Dr S do realize that was a 90/10 dual sport tire and passed safety inspection about 1500k previously so it's not like it was a knobby worn down that far.......still it was not appropriate to the terrain and getting iffy on the road too.

Heh, knew that, but from your description just saying it was ballsy of you to go offroading in the terrain you described (maybe it's the pic, but it almost looks bald in areas).

It WAS nearly bald in some some spots and the new one is starting to feel good now - was squirmy first few k.

Okay - equipment coming together, barkbusters, new front tire, now boots and knee protectors.

medscaleOneal-Element-3-Piston-ProFit-MX-Boots-1.jpg

went down to the Kawasaki dealer -
he happened to have a pair they had used once in a commercial - $100 out the door but have to change my shifter a bit as hard to get my toe under it - might need a slightly better shifter and foot pegs which are marginal on the KLR for anything offroad -

Also got knee armour that will go under my pants.

Dealer said I did not need a new rear tire yet so will wait til next year.. see how I do with the front knobby at my leisurely pace.

Some cop pulled me over and wanted to chat ;) I said I was lost
( was the ride leader from Monday's adventure - hence the access to some permit only roads )

Thanks for the re-direct to the Kawi dealer Glen
friday.gif

Nice bike he was on.

Nice boots, I bought a pair of MX boots after I dropped the bike first time off road. You should also try to find dirt bike type of foot pegs as the stock rubber ones get a little slippery when they get wet and muddy...or strap a really big pillow to the gas tank...

Yeah that's next on the list is pegs and shifter - gonna figure out which is best for the KLR

In the past I've either been on a road bike or on a trialer so dual sport is a new dimension for me.

I still need to be able to ride in my hiking boots around town and the toe of them is already being chewed by the existing shifter. Will have to look online for suggestions and also go in for a "fit".

I was worried in the streams about staying on the pegs as the water tends to blow your boots off the pegs - did okay - the hiking boots had good lugs - better than the MX boots which I guess are expecting metal pegs.

••••

That TMod - do you have a part number? Dealer tried to chase it down but no luck. He understood the idea perfectly.

There is no factory upgrade, it is a franken farkel....

From what I understand, there is a venting/vacum tube running off the carb straight down, you simply get a t fitting for the tube and another foot of tubing, splice in and run the line under the seat so you have a low and high intake, now you can ride in water up to the spark plug I think....again, I think....klr650.net is your friend for all things klr....or you tube...

Ah thought it was a part from a different Kawi - I think I can handle that mod - thanks.
I did try to find it on Youtube at the dealers so we did see it but we both thought it was something that was on more of the offroad Kawa models like the DR650

You may want to find some crash bars if you drop it alot, you can see them on the two KLR's in Rotten Ronnie's shot below..both have similar guards up front, the red one has racks for hard cases and the green one is set up for soft bags on the rear..

Here is a clearer shot of the guards as a bonus you get highway pegs as well,
LEFT_TANK_GUARD_WITH_ENGINE_GUARD.jpg

6941563907_ca8890eb8b_b.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't intend to drop it at all :D
Too expensive here for crash bars and it's just mud - no rocks- $600 for a set. I'll stick with the bark busters for now and sorting out pegs and shifter so my boots work.

Wet ride this morning out to the end Myola Road where it crosses the Barron
River is well up over the causeway and ripping along a quite pace so no going across - was followed by a cruiser rider - not sure even if it was crossable where he thought he was going.

Had a quick look at the Clohesy - was up but not a lot.

Went up to Mareeba to check on pegs and shifters - no luck - wore my regular boots plus the knee protectors just to see how those worked - hardly noticed them on and I was completely totally drenched head to toe.

Sun finally came out and stayed out so fine ride on Davie's Creek road at a sedate pace...took a couple of sun breaks to dry things
..nice to have a front tire that goes where pointed.

Front knobby felt much better on the road as well.

Got lucky in the rain forest stretch and spotted one of these flying - saw it in both directions....stunning bird

normal_AU03545c_Buff-breasted_Paradise-Kingfisher_(_Tanysiptere_sylvia_)_Daintree_Qld_Oct_2011.jpg

Tinaroo tomorrow or Black Mountain. Will wait on weather

Ya gotta love this part of Australia .....back to back notices

Park closed for wet season
Mungkan Kandju National Park is closed for the wet season due to poor road conditions. The park is expected to re-open on 1 April 2012, however, the closure may be extended depending on the length and intensity of the wet season. Affected parks: Mungkan Kandju (Kaanju) National Park.

Munga-Thirri National Park Closure
We wish to advise that access to Munga-Thirri National Park (formerly known as Simpson Desert National Park) will be closed from 1 December 2011 to 15 March 2012 due to extreme summer temperatures of 40-50 degrees celsius. Affected parks: Munga-Thirri National Park.
drowned or fried - take your pick - it's an interesting read.
http://www.4wdqld.com.au/care/park-alerts.html
Even today I went from deluged upon in the Barron River area - absolutely soaked to the skin and yet 100% dry a few hours later after poking around in the Davie's Creek Road region for the afternoon. ( pics to come )
A creek that I splashed through on the way in - maybe a foot deep - was well under the bridge on the way out.

- not sure many of you realize the monster cyclone Yasi went through here last year so a lot of damage still exists.

Here's how big Yasi was when overlaid on the continental US

738933-tc-yasi-superimposed-on-usa.gif

interesting article as it gives you some idea of just what unprecedented size this was - if the Saffir-Simpson new scale with a cat 6 was implemented - Yasi would have been the first.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870

There are more maps showing it against Europe and what the impact of a storm this size would be. The EYE ALONE was 35km across!!!!

We are STILL in cyclone season .....o joy :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom