Do you have a snake at home? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you have a snake at home?

Well, I thought I post a quick update. Augusta was fasting for almost 6 months. She is eating regularly now, but not a bite between December 9, 2012 and May 31, 2013. That is a week shy of half a year. Now she would eat every other day if I'd let her.

Here is a photo Augusta exercising.

20130322155958DSC_0056.JPG

Well, I thought I post a quick update. Augusta was fasting for almost 6 months. She is eating regularly now, but not a bite between December 9, 2012 and May 31, 2013. That is a week shy of half a year. Now she would eat every other day if I'd let her.

Here is a photo Augusta exercising.

20130322155958DSC_0056.JPG
Wait what, You let your snake fast for 6 months? How does that work... wtf. Snakes can last that long without food?

Wait what, You let your snake fast for 6 months? How does that work... wtf. Snakes can last that long without food?

As far as I know they can last even longer without food.

She was acting pretty normal, so I was not concerned. In December and January I offered her food every week, then in February and March every other week, then in three weeks time. End of May she decided to eat and now back to weekly feeding.

That's some nice skin print.

Thank you! I'll tell her this evening. ;-)

Once I saw a photo of a carpet python, black, with very regular yellow hexagonal pattern. It was gorgeous!

Try to keep the humidity up specially in winter

Also try getting her on rats. My ball python when it was young refused black rats but ate white ones, now she doesn't care.

I have to work on the winter humidity. It was fluctuating between 20 and 70, mostly around 55%
She is on rats for a long time now. Thank God she is colour blind, white or black, doesn't matter to her.

What substrate are you using? I've found cypress mulch (not to be confused with cedar mulch) is great for humidity. Royal pythons spend most of their time underground in burrows which have more humidity than the desert air above ground. If you get the humidity correct when the snake sheds it will not look like a snake exploded in the tank.

Try to keep the humidity up specially in winter

Also try getting her on rats. My ball python when it was young refused black rats but ate white ones, now she doesn't care.

I'll bet the rats care, and the black ones are not happy.

What substrate are you using? I've found cypress mulch (not to be confused with cedar mulch) is great for humidity. Royal pythons spend most of their time underground in burrows which have more humidity than the desert air above ground. If you get the humidity correct when the snake sheds it will not look like a snake exploded in the tank.

I use the double ground cypress mulch and it seems to work OK. For a while I had moss that held the moisture perfectly, however it became moldy very fast, so I got rid of it.

Lesson learned yesterday: don't play with a hungry snake.

My wife told me that the snake looks hungry. Oh well, that doesn't mean I can't play with her a little. So I thought. I reached in the terrarium to take her out, touched her back in the middle, she turned around and bit me. Didn't wrap around my hand or finger, just bit my middle finger. It didn't hurt much, just like when you go for blood work and the nurse pokes your finger with a needle. Actually the needle hurts a bit more than the snake bite. Well, it depends on the size I guess, both the snake and the needle.

So I dug up the last snack size rat and gave it to her. She gobbled it up in no time. Not eating for 6 months seems to have an affect on her appetite.

Live and learn.

I bought a baby corn for my daughter on last Christmas. Snake was 10 grams when we got her, she's almost 60 now. But I noticed we handle it less and less often, the novelty kinda wore off... :(

I bought a baby corn for my daughter on last Christmas. Snake was 10 grams when we got her, she's almost 60 now. But I noticed we handle it less and less often, the novelty kinda wore off... :(

That's unfortunate. I'd offer to adopt it but I don't really like the shape of the corn snakes. And they are much friskier than balls when they are out of the cage. I'd hate to chase it down the hallway... Not to mention my wife...

That's unfortunate. I'd offer to adopt it but I don't really like the shape of the corn snakes. And they are much friskier than balls when they are out of the cage. I'd hate to chase it down the hallway... Not to mention my wife...

Haha, you're right about it trying to get away, that would be an adventure with possibly a tragic end (for both the snake and my wife). Anyway, it's not up for adoption, my daughter thinks it's a member of the family now, so I diligently clean and cater to the snake's needs. It's not neglected in any way, and will never be.

Haha, you're right about it trying to get away, that would be an adventure with possibly a tragic end (for both the snake and my wife). Anyway, it's not up for adoption, my daughter thinks it's a member of the family now, so I diligently clean and cater to the snake's needs. It's not neglected in any way, and will never be.

I never thought it is neglected in any ways. And my wife thinks that we have one too many snake at home, so another one is absolutely out of question. It doesn't mean that I don't want to get a jungle carpet python. She is just not ready for it. Yet.

I never thought it is neglected in any ways. And my wife thinks that we have one too many snake at home, so another one is absolutely out of question. It doesn't mean that I don't want to get a jungle carpet python. She is just not ready for it. Yet.

Just googled jungle carpet pythons--wow, those things are pretty!

... my wife thinks that we have one too many snake at home, so another one is absolutely out of question. It doesn't mean that I don't want to get a jungle carpet python. She is just not ready for it. Yet.

Since this post I managed to sneak in another snake into the house. She is a Boa Constrictor, her name is Ruby. In exchange for the second snake now I have to tolerate an ugly dog at home. What can I say, life is full of compromises. ;-)

On Wednesday afternoon snake #3 has arrived. I think that's it, I won't buy more snakes.

IMG_4908.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4908.jpg
    IMG_4908.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom