can you buy US insurance for Canadian bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

can you buy US insurance for Canadian bikes?

Are you a US Citizen?

Is the bike living in the states or here? Your fire and theft would definitely be compromised if you told them the bike was living in the states and it got stolen from your house in Canada.

I thought it was cheaper because there is a lot less coverage for you.

They have to be making money.

They are most likely paying out much less than here, which is great if you never get into an accident.

Maybe that's why we see them as so inclined to sue; the insurance payouts don't cover the costs of hospitalization.

since US insurance is so much cheaper, is it possible to get Canadian bikes insured?

Obviously the USA insurance company is going to ask you for your USA drivers licence number so they can check your record......you don't have one do you?

I thought it was cheaper because there is a lot less coverage for you.

They have to be making money.

They are most likely paying out much less than here, which is great if you never get into an accident.

Maybe that's why we see them as so inclined to sue; the insurance payouts don't cover the costs of hospitalization.

non sense, I had the exact same coverage.
The minimum insurance required is less in some states but you would Be silly to carry the minimum when extra coverage isn't much more.

Ontario insurance is much more expensive than other provinces as well.

Last edited:
Insurance is based on where you live (since the claims experience varies DRASTICALLY by geographic region). Ontario is expensive because Ontarians like to claim, and when they do, they like to hit the jackpot. This has been explained countless times in the insurance forum.

If you live in Ontario, you need an Ontario insurance policy.

non sense, I had the exact same coverage.
The minimum insurance required is less in some states but you would Be silly to carry the minimum when extra coverage isn't much more.

Ontario insurance is much more expensive than other provinces as well.

+1. We have an office in California and since I have to stay over weekends I bought a bike and keep it there. My insurance this year was $378 in California compared to $1020 in Ontario and I get much better coverage as well. 4MM liability compared to $2MM and $1MM accident benefits compared to $3500 in Ontario.

I still don't understand it as hospital expenses down there are just out of control and completly silly and every one is law suit happy.

since US insurance is so much cheaper, is it possible to get Canadian bikes insured?

No the bike has to be registered in the US and then it can be insured and coverage is only for US. If you are visiting Canada then you have to inform your US insurance and they will provide a temporarily insurance card for Canada. Plus if you get stop with a US plated bike and Canadian liscense. The bike can be siezed and crushed and the deposited on the US side for you to claim it. It is not worth it.

From first hand experience, it is possible to get US insurance on an ontario plated vehicle with ontario ownership. You will need a drivers license for the state that you reside in. Note that I use the word reside, you must be a resident or at least show an local address.

If your plan is to get US insurance on your Canadian bike that stays in Canada at your Canadian residence.... it wont work.

Last edited:
I know it is 100% possible to buy US insurance for ontario registered and plated bikes as long as you don't get into accident nobody would know. Some insurance company I know of accept foreign license, but of course it's easier if I carry a US driver's license. With the insurance set the only problem is the address on the insurance slip will not match my ownership. Technically the bike is insured but cops might not believe that if they pull me over.

I know it is 100% possible to buy US insurance for ontario registered and plated bikes as long as you don't get into accident nobody would know. Some insurance company I know of accept foreign license, but of course it's easier if I carry a US driver's license. With the insurance set the only problem is the address on the insurance slip will not match my ownership. Technically the bike is insured but cops might not believe that if they pull me over.

I'd be much more worried about the insurance company not paying if I did have a claim. If you are going the insurance fraud route, you might as well save even more money and just print your own slips.

I'd be much more worried about the insurance company not paying if I did have a claim. If you are going the insurance fraud route, you might as well save even more money and just print your own slips.

never meant to commit fraud, all i was saying is try to get things working for me but in a complicated way.

You don't need to have the address on the ownership match the address on the insurance slip. You need to prove you live at the address on the insurance slip if you expect the insurance company to pay out if the need should arise. For example they will ask for bank statements that show the address, pay stubs, etc.

If they find out you don't live at the US address you provided, your claim may be denied. If you don't actually live in the US (or have a legitatment US residence) - don't try to do this. The risk is not worth the reward.

Last edited:
When I brought in my last bike I called my agent and gave the serial number. They sent back confirmation of coverage. I didn't mention the bike wasn't registered in Canada and they didn't ask. I didn't ride the bike until it was registered but it was a belt and braces attitude in case of a problem coming back on the trailer. I know the trailer and cargo are liability covered under the tow vehicle policy but I went an extra step. Whether that would have made a difference we'll never know because nothing happened.

If you are honest with the US insurance company their underwriter will check out claim situations in Canada and the cheap insurance will disappear pretty quick.

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/english/newsroom/articles/2011/Dec23.html

No. 3 ‘No Such Address’

The man’s vehicle was written off after colliding with a deer near Thunder Bay. The vehicle owner provided a Winnipeg address and said he lived in an apartment with his wife, daughter and his sister.

The vehicle owner confirmed he worked in Thunder Bay, but insisted he returned to Winnipeg on weekends ─ a nine-hour, 400-km trip one way.

During the investigation it was discovered that the man’s wife worked in Thunder Bay and her FACEBOOK page had numerous photos and references to their life in Thunder Bay. The manager of the Winnipeg apartment block also had no records of the man residing in the suite.

Based on the information provided by the SIU, the total loss claim, valued at $12,000, was denied due to the man’s permanent residency in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

+1. We have an office in California and since I have to stay over weekends I bought a bike and keep it there. My insurance this year was $378 in California compared to $1020 in Ontario and I get much better coverage as well. 4MM liability compared to $2MM and $1MM accident benefits compared to $3500 in Ontario.

I still don't understand it as hospital expenses down there are just out of control and completly silly and every one is law suit happy.

You can't simply compare the TPL limits and say that one policy has better coverage than another. Very few claims reach the limit, which is why a $2M policy costs a fraction more than a $1M policy. What you need to compare is the claims experience, which is affected by legislation, litigation, sub-limits, propensity to claim, fraud, etc. Also, your TPL bike premium (which is what your $1M limit is for) is just a small part of your bike policy -- the BIG premium is charged for Accident Benefits (i.e. your injuries in an accident regardless of fault). Did you look at the benefits package provided in California?

When you purchase an insurance policy, your broker/agent will ask you for the address where the vehicle is garaged the majority of the time. Your premium is based on the claims experience in your area. If you lie on your application (such as stating your bike is principally garaged at your Grandma's condo in Florida when in fact it's at your apartment in North York), you are committing insurance fraud (misrepresentation of risk) and your future claim can be denied as a result. Insurance companies aren't stupid -- if your "Florida Bike" is in a collision in Toronto, you can bet that they'll investigate.

Back
Top Bottom