Ceramic Exhaust Powder Coating - Rusting - Thumbs Down - North of Brampton | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ceramic Exhaust Powder Coating - Rusting - Thumbs Down - North of Brampton

I will not name the company because they've used 3 strikes with me already and I wouldn't not even bother with them if they offered to re-coat. I cannot trust my parts with this guy. I will say the company at one time did advertise on this webpage and are located North of Brampton.

I had my brand new 2-stroke exhaust coated at this location approx 3 years ago. 2 other items with this vendor and the three full strikes were earned and I've never been back. I thought I was done with them... however it seems bad workmanship can show up later.

The exhaust is rusting through the ceramic coating!

My bike hasn't been drive a great deal, maybe in the 3 years 3000km? I believe the 1st year the parts were ready I didn't even get them on the bike. I was caught in the rain 1 time during this period and that was a short distance from home. The bike and I have never had an accident, neither has the exhaust been scraped on the ground or scratched during installation. The bike has fairings so the exhaust at least directly cannot blast road bits at the exhaust parts.

I simply believe the coating was to thin or the company failed to prep completely and properly.

Hard to find, disposable income wasted - Do not believe this guy when he says he's the best. Aftermarket exhaust is expensive enough and I would have thought this gentleman would have appreciated what he was working on.

No way I can afford to have this coating removed and redone - hello BBQ paint.

Last edited:
Too bad you won't mention who did the work....as i would love to make sure I never go there

I searched the forum and found other members with the same problem...

Screwball... I mean Fireball coatings.

ah! Yes....i heard about issues with them too.

Noted. Stay away from them.

glad you came clean...just to protect the rest of us in the future, cheers man.

I was planning to use them, now I'm thinking twice. That said, there is a distinct difference in the purpose and finish of powder coat and ceramic coat. Ceramic is not a rust proof process. Did you give him a chance to make it right?

I was planning to use them, now I'm thinking twice. That said, there is a distinct difference in the purpose and finish of powder coat and ceramic coat. Ceramic is not a rust proof process. Did you give him a chance to make it right?

Ceramic & powder will both protect the substrate from corrosion if they are applied over a properly prepped substrate & the coating is not breached.

You are correct that there is a distinct difference between the purpose of powder & ceramic.

Powder coating is a highly durable decorative finish for metallic parts, but it is generally not intended for exhaust applications.

The type of ceramic coating on that exhaust is a thermal barrier ceramic coating that is intended for high temperature applications such as exhaust systems & turbos. It is formulated to withstand egt's without coating failure & also keeps exhaust heat in the system by acting as a barrier & reducing heat dissipation through the pipe walls.

I shall quote the proprietors webpage ".....and excellent corrosion resistance"

The pictures speak for themselves.

I'm burnt out, frustrated and have empty pockets.

I should have left the exhaust as it was. At least it would be my own fault if they rusted and I would still have the cool look of the custom made pipes with welds etc. The vendor should have recognized the value of them and done the work in accordance with what was necessary or simply advised they were incapable of doing the job.

It's a shame how many people these days don't take pride in their work and do ****** jobs.

Had a set of jollymoto pipes on my 2 stroke a while back. The clear finnish on them burnt off in a matter of months so I prepped them and just painted them with high temp engine paint. The finnish lasted till I sold the bike 45k later and the guy that bought it never had an issue either. I dont think your really need ceramic coating on 2 stroke exhausts.

Had a set of jollymoto pipes on my 2 stroke a while back. The clear finnish on them burnt off in a matter of months so I prepped them and just painted them with high temp engine paint. The finnish lasted till I sold the bike 45k later and the guy that bought it never had an issue either. I dont think your really need ceramic coating on 2 stroke exhausts.

Ceramic coating is not purely for aesthetics, when done properly it is supposed to reduce heat transfer from the hot exhaust. This keeps the area surrounding the exhaust cooler, and keeps the exhaust moving faster (ultra-simplification, don't dogpile on me)

I purchased the ceramic coating in hopes of preventing rust and eliminating maintenance. The rest was bonus....

Well bonus if the ceramic stuck to the exhaust!
The exhaust currently lists at $560.....

I've received a few sympathetic messages thank you.

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. I wish I had found it earlier. I have my factory exhaust with them getting ceramic coated as I type. I am hoping that you guys are the "vocal minority" and that they generally do good work. Fingers crossed.

I had my header done by them probably 4 years ago. Its held up well so far, not as shiny as it once was but I think you can shine up the finish. I just haven't spent the time to see what is safe to use on it. I also had my rearsets and a bunch of other parts powdered coated at the same time.

photo1_zps9ba9d35e.jpg
[/IMG]

pipes done in ceramic satin black to lazy to mop and glow if anyone needs ceramic or powder coating done you gotta check out www.quyscoating.com/ Great guy I was very happy with the quality of his work and his pricing was very reasonable and his selection of powder coat colors limitless not to mention being flexible willing to meet me on a Saturday to pick them up nobody else I've used would do that having to take time from work to pick up or drop off sucked.

I went to Jeff awhile back and I can vouch for his workmanship, nothing stripped or chipped and my items have definitely been wacked a few times since, and the coat is still fresh! I did however go to Brighside as well to get my caliper and rims done, and it's since chipped, along with the fact that their workmanship was poor and time consuming. In fact, when I got my rims from Brightside I noticed a number of areas that weren't coated [as he started coating my rims the day he called me to pick them up... while they were at his shop for a month] and told him to go over it again and he obliged... Nonetheless, In my books that constitutes as poor workmanship, decent price, but poor workmanship... Tier 1 is where I'll be bringing the rest of my business, because Jeff's trustworthy, professional, and reasonably priced.

Threw my factory exhaust in the garbage... what a waste of money, time, and grief.

photo1_zps9ba9d35e.jpg
[/IMG]

pipes done in ceramic satin black to lazy to mop and glow if anyone needs ceramic or powder coating done you gotta check out www.quyscoating.com/ Great guy I was very happy with the quality of his work and his pricing was very reasonable and his selection of powder coat colors limitless not to mention being flexible willing to meet me on a Saturday to pick them up nobody else I've used would do that having to take time from work to pick up or drop off sucked.

how much did this cost at quy's if you dont mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom