Honda NC700 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda NC700

RodneyBR

Site Supporter

[video=youtube;fZkO_KdSJTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZkO_KdSJTo&[/video]
  • Designed to be light and compact, extremely stingy on fuel, and to conserve resources during manufacturing, the all-new 670 cc, liquid-cooled, inline-twin engine used in the NC700XA incorporates numerous advanced and patented technologies.
  • The engine’s inline cylinders are canted forward by 62 degrees to help create a low overall centre of gravity for nimble, confidence-inspiring handling, and also to create room for a convenient central storage area where the cylinders and fuel tank would typically be.
  • To give the engine a satisfying and distinctive sound and feel, engineers thought way outside the box. A 270-degree crankshaft combined with a uniaxial primary counterbalance shaft creates a pulse much like that of a V-twin. The intake-port layout inside the cylinder head was carefully designed to create an intentional interference between adjacent ports, which results in subtle combustion variations. In addition, the timing for the opening and closing of the intake valves was set separately for each cylinder. The result? An engine that lets you know what it’s doing every time you twist the throttle.
  • To ensure strong acceleration, ease-of-use in the city, and a relaxed character on the highway, the engine delivers exceptionally strong low-rpm performance. The unique design creates a muscular, easy-to-use powerband not unlike that of a big-bore cruiser.
  • The six-speed manual transmission complements the powerband by using wide gear ratios – no need to be constantly shifting up and down to maintain strong performance.
  • Through the use of friction-reducing technologies, integrated components (such as running the oil pump using the counterbalance shaft and the water pump using the camshaft, which reduces the number of shafts required), precise PGM-FI electronic fuel-injection and efficient combustion, the NC700XA engine delivers exceptional fuel economy.
  • The engine’s efficient use of fuel enables the use of a smaller-volume, more-compact fuel tank that still allows ample riding range while giving engineers extra freedom to re-think the optimal placement of other components.
  • The exhaust catalytic converter sits directly beneath the exhaust ports and is activated early when the engine starts. This design lets the combustion gas pass through the catalyst while it is at its hottest, thereby maximizing purification efficiency. In fact, emissions are half of what is required by the strict Euro 3 emissions standard.

Ya better hurry rodney they may sell out LOL

After seeing this at the Motoshow, I definitely want to add this to the stable. This'd be my errand/commute to work bike.

Definitely getting it.
it might not be the fastest thing on the road, but for commuting, it doesn't matter. love the looks, love the tank storage, and the people that have ridden it say it's torquey.

I have no doubt 90% of motorcyclists will not be interested in this bike and will snub it and anyone that rides it. most people who buy bikes want everyone to perceive them as the fastest thrill seeker on the road. this breaks that rule. surprisingly though not by much though.

ninja 250 0-60mph 5.75sec
v-strom 650 0-60mph, 5.6sec
honda cbf600 0-60mph 4.6sec
nc700 ...unknown faster than cbf600.
ex500 0-60mph 3.76sec
sv650 0-60mph 3.3sec
zx6r 0-60mph in 3.2 sec
shiver 0-60mph 3.1sec

sure, if you're on a track 0.5sec matters. but for a street bike if it matters you have serious ego issues. 70% of the time you'll be stuck behind a minivan so I'm not interested in falling for silly arguments. I don't feel that in order to continue riding a motorcycle I need to upgrade to a bigger bike to show everyone I must have mastered greater skill and I'm a big boy now. most people I know wither faster bikes avoid the rain, avoid the cold, and avoid so much about actually riding. ohhh sounds fun.
for most day to day usage for someone like ME, this bike seems great.
*take a 2nd helmet (easily)
*store your own when you get off the bike (without it being stolen by an e-biker, ****** on, or tagged)
*take lunch and crap to work (anything that a tank bag would do, but it's always there)
* go shopping
*extra storage for camping stuff
*pulls like a tractor so loading it with some camping gear won't bog it down.

most people that buy bikes aren't worried about the above points, they seem worried about beating the guy in the ciciv in the lane over, but I'm sure there's a few people out there like me that will buy this bike.
Hell, I'll probably pre-order it.

this things seems like the pack horse mule of bikes, but it looks good. I don't see a downside.

Ash on Bikes review
http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x-0

Depends ... If you are looking for a utilitarian commuter to get a job done, this is the bike to get (but then you could probably consider a bigger scoot, will have more room and cheaper price as well). All the power is a very narrow band of RPMs, 6500 is a redline for this engine.

If you can afford two bikes, this would be indeed a good choice, because I cannot imagine taking this heavy low power bike on a fun ride. Some people will not mind, I know I would.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-honda-nc700x-review/19622.html

Last edited:
so again, I'm curious.
this bike is 0.8 seconds slower than a zx6r to reach 100km/h

so it's heavy, slow and not fun?

tough crowd... tough crowd.

ya scooter is cheaper and has more space, but it's a scooter. I don't want to ride something that looks like a scooter...

I happen to really like this bike as well. It suits my needs as a daily commuter and still looks like a fun machine for the weekend blasts.

Don't forget that it will be extremely flingable in the corners.

For me it looks too ordinary, and the motor is too soft. It's not about 0-100 times but the feel of being pulled more and more and more and more as RPM climb (at the track). To me that's intoxicating. I think most people love the instant-on torque and easy pull of an engine like this though, so for them it would be great.

I think this bike would make a great city bike and day tripper. Looks comfy, will have plenty of power for real world riding too. The sad thing is that this bike will most likely fall on deaf ears in North America. Bikes that do a lot of things well, but don't excel at one specific thing seem to get looked over. Seems the Lion's share of the bikes bought here are either heavy, chrome drenched big twin cruisers or feather-lite torture rack ss bikes. A standard bike like this will for sure be a minority, but that's not a bad thing either. Will end up with lots of riders and non-riders asking questions about the bike if you show up on one.

If BMW, Ducati or KTM built this bike, everyone would be lining up to drop 16K on it. Bike magazines would rave about it.

It's a girl's bike.......jk jk. Buy what u like fk the rest.

so again, I'm curious.
this bike is 0.8 seconds slower than a zx6r to reach 100km/h

so it's heavy, slow and not fun?

tough crowd... tough crowd.

ya scooter is cheaper and has more space, but it's a scooter. I don't want to ride something that looks like a scooter...

Nothing to do with a tough crowd. It's just not my cup of tea. I don't care about 0-100 numbers, nor I care whether my bike takes 3l/100km or 4l/100km. What I would care about is handling of the bike and price. Unless Honda fooled somehow the laws of physics, I don't think the handling will be nothing particularly good. Just sitting on the bike at the show, you could feel the weight is low, but once you swung the handlebars a bit more, the inertia of the weight was letting you know it's there ... I know once you get moving you cannot feel the extra weight (most ridiculous argument known to men in my opinion).

As I said, i think it will be a good commuter. I just wouldn't expect much of anything more out of it.

If BMW, Ducati or KTM built this bike, everyone would be lining up to drop 16K on it. Bike magazines would rave about it.

You are somewhat making a good point. Ducati or KTM would never build bike like that (it's not DNA of their bikes). But BMW has a very frugal F800R bike with twin engine. 50ish lbs lighter, much more power with a price not much that much higher than NC700 will land at. The only thing it does not have is the storage, because the engine cylinders are more upright therefore there's no extra space available.

F800R could give you so much more, for not much more money in my opinion .... but again it depends what you are looking for.

0-100 times mean next to nothing you need the 1/8 and 1/4 mile times to know if something is fast or not.

BMW F650GS was on the list as it's an 800cc lower seat height version of the 800gs and yes, similar price, but the trunk on the nc700 is really a deciding factor. not something most motorcyclists would concern themselves with, but my bike gets used for exploration, I never know when I'm going to need some storage space.

low gravity is helpful for camping and going over gravel at 10km/h.

Anyone have any info on 2uping on this bike? comfort/handling? That's another critical factor for me since I love taking my friends n wifey for rides. That's the only reason I'm considering a cruiser next year since both of us can couch our touches =D

How 'bout tyres? I like to get tires for longevity and multi-weather. Anyone know the size?

Last edited:
Has it even been ridden by anyone?
Please post links, thanks

yeah, I saw some rider reviews from people in Europe on Youtube. There's this great review but I think it's in Italian, so I don't understand it =P

Back
Top Bottom