My 2001 CBR 929 Drag build | GTAMotorcycle.com

My 2001 CBR 929 Drag build

cutsheal5

Well I have been lurking around the fourms for quite some time now and I thought i would share my Ride. I have been working on this bike close to 3 years now.I ran an 11.01 bone stock on this bike and it has since gone under some serious work. I have rebuilt the entire engine and transmission as the main bearings let go and my second gear was popping out while i was there i checked everything and replaced what was needed shift forks,drum,bearings,seals, checked all the clearances re set the timing ect ect ect she runs like a top now. since the 11.01 my mods list includes 9.5'' stretch,lowering link,strap kit,full hindle exhaust,power commander3 w/multi function hub and map switch, zex dry 30shot,shinko Hook up 200,954 throttebodys and injectors(2mm bigger), replaced all my fairings and tank,double bubble windshield,520 conversion -1+3 might go back to 530 for drag though,undertail,HIDs, one off intergrated tail light,cbr 1000 flush mounts, I am currently sitting around waiting to get the bike tuned I am trying to decide where to go for the Dyno Tune. I am hoping to run some good times now anyways heres a couple progress pics for you guys and gals hope to see everyone at the track this summer :) FYI I do alll my own work so if anyone is looking for tips on 929s and 954s i know them inside and out at this point

Day one

cbr929009.jpg

cbr929018.jpg

cbr929014.jpg

cbr929012.jpg

this is the first time i thought my bike was done........
cbr929002.jpg

then it came to this
929stage2003.jpg

zexx009.jpg

carbonmufflerstrapkit006.jpg

tire004.jpg

Last edited:
nice bike man, got any more pic of the build progress??

Who did your machine work on your crank ?

My crank didnt actually need machining i got very luck i stoped riding as soon as my oil light started flashing at idle i new i was loosing pressure dropped the oil saw the shavings i measured the crank and it was good to go i also plastiguaged it appon install just to be sure and it was bang on/.It had about 74,000kms when she went, I have TONNS of pictures of the build progress i will post some more later on

I am also very picky when it comes to cleaning stuff every part i removed from this bike was scrubbed clean of all dirt and road grime

more build pics you want them i got them
tear down begns.

naked
cbr929003.jpg

The little guy.
200358_10150119276123392_506753391_6665330_7243897_n.jpg

just before pulling the engine began
196275_10150117672833392_506753391_6650879_7297325_n.jpg

cases split lower side.
198384_10150121414923392_506753391_6687157_6596416_n.jpg

nice shift drum to go along with the pics already provided
cbr929021.jpg

this is all i could scavenge together for now

Last edited:
:Cuts-
Thanks a ton for taking the time and effort of taking pics and writing this thread. I have a 929, that I drag race as well. Ive been looking for probably a year, at least, for info on a 929 drag bike.
I have a 929 and fortunately thus far nothing has gone wrong with my bike.
So far my mods include: Hass Motorsports htev delete pipe, 2 bros slip on, pc3usb, flapper mod, lowered, -1/+2 gearing. Best time yet with stock swingarm is 10.34@131.
Future mods: swingarm extension, wideband commander, dynojet LCD, try different gearing for the rear (in hopes of a 9.99 or quicker.
Thanks again.. Looking forward to more pics and write up as the warm weather gets closer

Last edited:
The Number one best advice i can give you on 929/954 engines is do not use anything but factory air filters. The K&N and BMC race filters are junk and rob tonns of power. Also try and find yourself a set of 954 throttlebodys and injectors they are 2mm larger than the factory 929s the 954 velocity stacks are also a little bigger and fit right in the 929 air box. You will also need the 954 injector harness it plugs right into the 929 wiring harness.

thanks for the advice. I currently have a K&N and was going to switch to a BMC, but have also heard good things about the factory filter. I've been looking into some 954 throttle's. After you did your rebuild did you have custom mapping done? I'm guessing with the added airflow through the bigger throttles, it's run a bit leaner? What map(s) do you prefer to run where you feel the best power gains?

I have not currently had the bike dyno tuned im going to be taking it in a month or so, Do not go with a BMC as its the same as a K&N less one sheet of filter they are oil baised filters you need a dry flow, These bikes are highly dependant on good consistant air flow.

I'd be curious to see what numbers you end up with and mapping after your dyno sessions.. Post em up when you get a chance to take it in. Good luck

Any updates on the bike? Did you get it dyno'd? Our local track opened a month ago and I finally made a trip up over the weekend. Didn't hit the numbers I was expecting, but the track was a bit slippery and not hooking up at the line. Best of 10.37@132. I'm really pushin to see 140 just not sure I'll get there with my current 15/45 gearing?

I havent got the bike to the dyno yet or the track I actually just picked a new power commander 2 days ago put it on last night, Im actually in the middle of making a bracket for it as we speak dyno hopfully in the weeks to come i have been so damn busy at work lately. I also put on a renthal rear sprocket went up 2 teeth on the back so now im -1+2 let me tell you it feels perfect now. I got the power commander 111usb, ignition module,multifunction hub,quick shifter and LCD screen

powercommander001.jpg

pc11usb001.jpg

pc11usb005.jpg

Looking like we have alot of the same toys. I have had the PC3usb for quite a while, but I picked up a wideband commander w/LCD not long ago, just havent installed them yet. Still up in the air about my exhaust, too broke to buy a full, so i'm working with a HTEV delete with a 2-1 collector.
Currently my gearing is at -1/+2, i'm going to up that to -1/+4. Last outting i was at the finish line in the top of 5th gear. I think (hope) hitting top of 6th will push me closer to 140, and with launch traction should have me in the 9's.
If not, i guess that's what N20 is for.
good luck on the dyno

thanks for the offer but I think I can probably find a dyno a little closer to home. I'm in Oregon.

latest drag update. With a different tire, still crummy track conditions, 10.24@132.
Picked up a new rear sprocket over the weekend, haven't installed yet but will before this coming weekend.

Last edited:
thanks for the offer but I think I can probably find a dyno a little closer to home. I'm in Oregon.

latest drag update. With a different tire, still crummy track conditions, 10.24@132.
Picked up a new rear sprocket over the weekend, haven't installed yet but will before this coming weekend.
Lol, I didn't realize you were so far away :)

How does the LCD mount? Like what type of mount is on the back??

My dyno run from sat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj2sXRBeuiY&feature=BFa&list=PL2ED9ED1574360BF6&lf=plpp_play_all

She did 102.37 (most powerful 600 of the day), she's running way rich down low and a tad rich up high, so I've got a power commander AutoTune coming in this week that will hopefully sort her all out :)

-Jamie M.

Last edited:
I haven't installed the wideband commander or LCD yet, but I'm going to either stick the LCD to the front of the tank or on the plastic inlet cover with velcro. I have a GPR steering stabilizer on the triple so not too much room for anything else on there.

Back
Top Bottom