Motorcycle Parking Fees Recommended without Notice or Public Consultation | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Parking Fees Recommended without Notice or Public Consultation

Re: City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today

This will be happening today so if you're in favour of free pay & display parking for bikes, in the on-street areas, you need to contact your councillor NOW. Tomorrow will be too late.

http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp

Thanks Rob you beat me too it. I have already written to the major and several councilors!

This will be happening today so if you're in favour of free pay & display parking for bikes, in the on-street areas, you need to contact your councillor NOW. Tomorrow will be too late.

http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp

Even if you don't care and don't ride into the city this benefits your fellow riders and supports everyone in the motorcycle community. Please write.

Great, more b.s. headaches getting into shouting matches trying to explain my stub was stolen. They know it happens yet they pretend every time like your the first person it has ever happened to. B.S.!!!

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I think that I managed to get John Moore on NewsTalk1010 to talk about it. He mentioned that he'd received an email about it (mine), in passing, but hasn't discussed it yet.

*EDIT* Mentioned in the news, not by Moore.

Last edited:
Cbc radio 99.1 will do a small story on it within the hour.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Bump. I sent an email to my councillor.

Jerry Agar, NewsTalk1010's American style neo-con, is going to be railing at how motorcyclists SHOULD be paying for parking in a few minutes. Feel free to call or text him, and tell him just how wrong he is. By the way, he also rides.

http://www.newstalk1010.com/

It's going to be voted on February 2012. Get on the horns to your Councillors, and even if you don't live here you should email, mail, or phone them anyway! Especially if you don't live here!

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/mm/bgrd/backgroundfile-42550.pdf

City Council consideration on November 29, 2011
Motion without Notice

MM14.19ACTIONWard:All

Fees for Motorcycle Parking - by Councillor Mike Del Grande, seconded by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam

* Notice of this Motion has not been given. A two-thirds vote is required to waive notice.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.
* This item has been deemed urgent by the Chair.

Recommendations
Councillor Mike Del Grande, seconded by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam recommends that:

1. City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to report to the February, 2012 meeting of City Council, through the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee on options for the implementation and enforcement of parking charges and fees regarding motorcycles and motor scooters to harmonize them with parking for other motorized vehicles.

2. In preparing the report, the General Manager review the City's pay-and-display areas as well as the number of parking permits currently being exempted to determine the financial impact of the recommended changes to pay parking.

Summary
This Motion seeks authorization to request a staff report with respect to this urgent matter relating to parking charges and fees deemed as a loss in potential revenue for the City.

At the April 19, 2000 meeting of the City's Works Committee, the Committee accepted item Works Committee Report 8, Clause 1, headed "Dedicated Motorcycle Parking on City Streets" with amendment at the May 9, 10 and 11, 2000 meeting of City Council.

Recommendation 2 of that clause included the creation of designated on-street motorcycle parking spaces near pay-and-display machines where possible, and that motorcycles using such dedicated spaces on a temporary basis not be charged any fees for their use.

Additionally, at the September 11, 2006 meeting of the City's Works Committee, the Committee accepted Works Committee Report 6, Clause 19, headed "Exemption from On-Street Parking Permit Fees for Motorized Scooters and Motorcycles" which was adopted during the September 25, 26 and 28, 2006 meeting of City Council.

This second clause recommended that while motorcycles and motor scooters are still required to acquire and display a valid parking permit for long-term on-street parking, that they be exempted from the associated fees.

These systems are unfair to motorists who drive different classes of vehicles other than motorcycles and motor scooters as they currently pay full fees for using parking services of their vehicles. Exempting certain classes of vehicles (such as motorcycles and motor scooters) from being charged the above fees could also be considered a loss in potential revenue for the City.

(Submitted to City Council on November 29 and 30, 2011 as MM14.19)

Background Information
Member Motion MM14.19
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/mm/bgrd/backgroundfile-42550.pdf)

That council notice makes it look like if it's passed by a two-thirds or more margin, today, then free on-street parking is done and all that they need to get a report on, is how that will be done.

I emailed my councilor this morning.

I can't see the logic behind a move like this. The negatives outweigh the slight bit of change they will get from the small motorcycle community we have. If this does pass I encourage all motorcyclists to take up a full car space. None of the tight organized parking we are doing now. If they see no difference between a bike and a car then take up that amount of space. When all the scooters are forced to street park and pay also they will have the citizens crying to council about the lack of parking. Just imagine the downtown wilth all the bikes and scooters taking up maximum space.

Jerry Agar, NewsTalk1010's American style neo-con, is going to be railing at how motorcyclists SHOULD be paying for parking in a few minutes. Feel free to call or text him, and tell him just how wrong he is. By the way, he also rides.

http://www.newstalk1010.com/

Between Ford and Jerry Agar it seems this city is destined to become the desolate wasteland that many American cities are rather than the active live world class city like we see over seas.

I can't get over the fact that they are complaining about vehicles being treated different based on size. It happens already and is the norm. Transports are restricted on speed and lane options because of size.

Rob Ford will take us backwards. Making motorcycle transportation less attractive will only increase single occupant car commuters and gridlock. Yeehaw.

I emailed my councilor this morning.

I can't see the logic behind a move like this. The negatives outweigh the slight bit of change they will get from the small motorcycle community we have. If this does pass I encourage all motorcyclists to take up a full car space. None of the tight organized parking we are doing now. If they see no difference between a bike and a car then take up that amount of space. When all the scooters are forced to street park and pay also they will have the citizens crying to council about the lack of parking. Just imagine the downtown wilth all the bikes and scooters taking up maximum space.

if it's passed we can always organize a 'silent protest' by deliberately spacing our motorcycles just like cars for the entire summer. If they want to throw in the equality argument, and I quote:

“They burn gas just like everybody else,” Del Grande said Tuesday. “You take a parking spot, you pay what you pay for cars.”

then I sure as hell will throw it back in their face and will demand my ENTIRE parking space that I fully paid for.

Last edited:

if it's passed we can always organize a 'silent protest' by deliberately spacing our motorcycles just like cars for the entire summer. If they want to throw in the ******** equality argument, and I quote:

then I sure as hell will throw it back in their face and will demand my ENTIRE parking space that I fully paid for.

I agree. They can't have it both ways. I have a feeling a crack down on scooters parking for free also will come which will add massive numbers to the cause. I don't know if council has thought about anything other than the few extra $$ they hope to grab.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrote my councillor..who's a tree hugging hippy anyways so I think anything with a motor she's against. Took a lot of strength not to end the email with "if Rob Ford could fit on a bike this would be dead in the water...." ;)

if it's passed we can always organize a 'silent protest' by deliberately spacing our motorcycles just like cars for the entire summer. If they want to throw in the ******** equality argument, and I quote:

I agree. They can't have it both ways. I have a feeling a crack down on scooters parking for free also will come which will add massive numbers to the cause. I don't know if council has thought about anything other than the few extra $$ they hope to grab.

I totally wood do this is we have the protest! i don't have a motorcycle (stolen in the summer! life sucked after that) at the moment. But i am willing to get one just for this! support my fellow riders!

Re: We might lose free parking in Toronto

This ****ing city. I hate it.

I emailed my councilor on a variation of the letter posted earlier. I hope the The Toronto Motor Scooter club gets in on the act too. Scooters will be next... I bet you.

Total wankers these Politicians.

Back
Top Bottom