Motorcycle Parking Fees Recommended without Notice or Public Consultation | Page 41 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Parking Fees Recommended without Notice or Public Consultation

Spotted today - 6+ bikes with tickets parked at Simcoe and Queen. I think theyre clamping down on the 15mins Limit parking you're supposed to have there outside the CIBC.

Also, the regular parking at Simcoe/King was not available this morning. Film crew had parked their semi's there. Must have been quite a few people scrambling for parks this morning.

this get posted yet?

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=e10086195a7c1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Updated: September 15, 2014
6 of the 30 parking locations have been installed and are now active:
Peter Street
Simcoe Street
Simcoe Street
James Street
Victoria Street
Colborne Street

Thanks for the link. I was at the Peter St location yesterday looking for an m/c spot and didn't see the signs or street markings. Maybe because the whole street was taken up by cars. Has anyone seen the street markings at any of the signed locations yet?

Thanks for the link. I was at the Peter St location yesterday looking for an m/c spot and didn't see the signs or street markings. Maybe because the whole street was taken up by cars. Has anyone seen the street markings at any of the signed locations yet?
No street markings yet

Got a response:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your comments.

During this pilot project, the designated motorcycle parking areas are, as you've stated, 'just a suggestion' as to where we would prefer motorcycles to park. We have not introduced by-law changes and therefore non-compliance with the signage is not enforceable at this time, except for the current parking regulations for pay and display parking. Over the next year we will be monitoring the use of these designated areas and report back to Council on the success of the pilot. Depending on the outcome of the pilot, there may be a need to propose by-law changes but we will decide that at a later date.

We have a website (www.toronto.ca/motorcycleparking) with the proposed locations, most of them should be implemented by mid October.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Renata Moraes, M.Eng., P. Eng.
Transportation Engineer, Operational Planning and Policy
City of Toronto,

Transportation Services Division
City Hall, 100 Queen St. W.,

M5H 2N2
22nd Floor, E. Tower
Tel: (416) 392-6039
Fax: (416) 392-4808

A clear response! Not sure if I should be more surprised by a clear response or that an engineer was allowed to speak to the public.

Rob, Its good that they got back to you.

I'm not sure how fair a test it will be if the signs don't say "only" and there is no enforcement. It would also be nice to find out when/if the pavement markings referenced on their web site will be implemented.

I'm not sure how fair a test it will be if the signs don't say "only" and there is no enforcement. It would also be nice to find out when/if the pavement markings referenced on their web site will be implemented.

From where I sit a test, that does not enforce the conditions of the test, is no test at all.

I dropped them an email this morning questioning the signs and the "suggested" parking area. I pointed out the signs can be confusing with the other signs at the parking locations

FYI. I noticed they removed one of the new parking bays on Simcoe street and covered the machine next to it. This is midway down outside the Rabba store. Haven't seen what they did to the motorcycle bays yet.

Just a quick update. So simcoe sth of Richmond only has 2 parking bays now. Those 2 are the designated motorcycle ones. The Green P signs and Machines exist there so any cars can still park there. Today they are both filled with motorcycles. Pearl Street @ Simcoe parking bay also was filled with bikes. Easily 50+ motorcycles in that area.

Hadn't seen this. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure how they can require someone to have an app. It will also be interesting to see if all machines are retrofitted with the key pad, or if they plan to limit motorcycles to parking only in the (theoretically) dedicated spots. The biggest question will be whether the price will be proportionately lower given the smaller amount of space an m/c takes. Which makes me wonder how they calculate that $1/4 million in lost revenue.

Look on the bright side, how much money have we all saved in the last 10 years?

Not all of us have been riding for 10 years.

The bright side is going to be how much money the city is going to lose to this, without ever even knowing about it, thinking it did a great job.

How is the city going to lose money? All the motorcyclists leave their bikes at home? In sheer numbers, we are a drop in a very large bucket for 8 months of the year. No one cares about how little space bikes take up and the environmental benefit is debatable. We got lucky that a councilor was bike-friendly but he's retired.

Back
Top Bottom