Lowering the 2011 Honda CBR250R | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lowering the 2011 Honda CBR250R

Interesting what this guy did: http://www.cbr250.org/forums/showthread.php?546-Lowering-link&p=4952&viewfull=1#post4952

"Well I got the modified linkage and installed it on the bike last night. I had the arms made approximately 1/2" longer (15mm or close to that). it lowered the bike by about an inch. Does not sound like much but now my wife can touch the ground with the ball of her foot and feel safe coming to a stop, I didn't want to lower it so much there would be problems with the kickstand, I am going to lower the front by 25mm as well just ran out of time last night. Here a some pics of the new link, and the the newly fabricated one, the machine shop cut off the arms and made new ones and welded back on." ~source

5888440487_bd3b31d3c6.jpg
5888440491_c9a8760b87_z.jpg

How much was it lowered?

Lowering a bike will drastically change the handling set up. When I got my 250 it was lowered by the previous owner. I was going to keep it as such because my wife loved the lower feel but for me, I was scraping pegs going around corners and roundabouts at less than break neck speeds. In some instances the bike would scrape then try and buck me off! After that I couldn't get those stupid things off the bike fast enough.

How much was it lowered?

About 2-3 inches. Also good luck changing the oil when it's lowered without stands. I couldn't fit my oil catcher under the bike when it was lowered. Another reason for not lowering the bike.

If I do lower it, it'll only be 1" front and back, so the stand shouldn't be affected, neither should the overall handling. The plan I have in mind right now is to shave the seat a bit and lower by 1".

About 2-3 inches. Also good luck changing the oil when it's lowered without stands. I couldn't fit my oil catcher under the bike when it was lowered. Another reason for not lowering the bike.

Last edited:
I like this answer!!

Meh, but I've got nylon pants with lots of armour in them. LoL, mt bottom half would look like darth vader in a pair of wedge heels :D!

She could always get the Icon Bombshell riding boots:D

Hmm. Well let's try the shaved seat idea first. If it's still not great then go a little more drastic.

Not ruling out the boots...rafiki, I like your thinking, lol :).

Lowering a bike will drastically change the handling set up. When I got my 250 it was lowered by the previous owner. I was going to keep it as such because my wife loved the lower feel but for me, I was scraping pegs going around corners and roundabouts at less than break neck speeds. In some instances the bike would scrape then try and buck me off! After that I couldn't get those stupid things off the bike fast enough.

I buy quite a few OEM honda parts through ronayers.com and had had a good experience with them. Make sure you ask them to ship USPS. I'd love to support the local dealership, but the prices are 2-4x higher. For an o-ring or 2 thats fine, but not when you always need new parts on a race bike.

Are u on tippy toes with the bike, or close to flat footing?
It's a new bike, you are a new rider, before making changes give you and the bike some time grow familiar with each other.

Are u on tippy toes with the bike, or close to flat footing?
It's a new bike, you are a new rider, before making changes give you and the bike some time grow familiar with each other.

With an inseam of approximately 28" and 100lbs, yes. She's on her tippy toes big time. So slow manovers are very challenging, to say the least.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

With an inseam of approximately 28" and 100lbs, yes. She's on her tippy toes big time. So slow manovers are very challenging, to say the least.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Englishj is right...you've spent 2 minutes on the bike. Give it a month and let the new bike smell wear off before modding it up. If your worried she'll drop it don't waste your mind on a lowering kit but instead get some sliders.

If I do lower it, it'll only be 1" front and back, so the stand shouldn't be affected, neither should the overall handling. The plan I have in mind right now is to shave the seat a bit and lower by 1".

1" will make a LARGE difference to the geometry of the bike.

Also, on that specific bike with the stock exhaust system, there is already a cornering-clearance issue to that big muffler on the right side even at stock ride height.

Utilize every other option to the fullest possible extent before even considering lowering the suspension and even if that still doesn't achieve enough, lower it as little as possible.

Remember, it is NOT necessary to stand flat-footed at a standstill.

Yea, I really don't want to lower the bike.

So I'm gonna try the seat first and then get her SIDI boots altered by a master cobbler if not to expensive. So maybe get 1/4" on seat and 1/2" with boots.. we'll see.

1" will make a LARGE difference to the geometry of the bike.

Also, on that specific bike with the stock exhaust system, there is already a cornering-clearance issue to that big muffler on the right side even at stock ride height.

Utilize every other option to the fullest possible extent before even considering lowering the suspension and even if that still doesn't achieve enough, lower it as little as possible.

Remember, it is NOT necessary to stand flat-footed at a standstill.

depending on clearance (pegs, exhaust...) 1" lowered front and rear should not be an issue. Check on some cbr250 forums to find out how suitable this bike is to being lowered. Shave the seat as well and buy her some lady daytona boots. Then she should be fine.

She could always get the Icon Bombshell riding boots:D

*lust*

---
Some days it's not worth getting out of bed to cut a bloody swath through your despondent enemies.

So, which one are you going with Rodney?
Seems like you have found a few ways to do it... let us know how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom