FZ6 vs. FZ6R | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZ6 vs. FZ6R

RodneyBR

Site Supporter
I believe I've decided on a FZ6 or FZ6R for my next bike, since the FZ1 is a little outside my price range ATM.

That being said I hear there are differences between the FZ6 and the FZ6R. One notable difference is the FZ6 has considerably more HP than the FZ6R (FZ6 is 85bhp, FZ6R is 65 rwhp) and the FZ6 is a little lighter. The FZ6R also doesn't have rear adjustable shock, nor 4 pistons calipers on the front and the tank is a little smaller. The big deal for me though is the extra HP for an engine in this class. The FZ6R has full race style fairing though, but you could get full fairing for the FZ6 I suppose.

What would you prefer, the FZ6 or FZ6R?

If the horsepower figures are true, and from some quick google searches you seem to be right, then its a no-brainer. The FZ6R with its 60-ish RWHP is pointless as it will largely be a lateral move for you. No point spending money to ride the same bike but with a Yamaha badge.

http://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/f87/fz6r-vs-fz6-dyno-comparison-21250/

FZ6 is the clear choice.

This is a no-brainer: FZ6 is superior in EVERY POSSIBLE respect. In fact, FZ6R is not a modified FZ6, it's a whole different kind of bike. Read some reviews online, the only common thing they have is the name.

Cheap tricks by Yamaha. It's a neutered 600.

Yea, very cheap :( I was about to pull the trigger on a FZ6R, but than thought... hold on a min.. and decided to check into it...

Yeah, I also almost made the mistake. In fact, the morons at the Yamaha dealership were so persuasive that it's an upgraded FZ6...but then I look at the back tire, which is 160 vs 180 on the FZ6, and I thought---wait a minute, if it's that much better, what's up with that rubber shrinkage...google saved me from making a horrible mistake! Been enjoying my FZ6 tremendously much! It's one hell of a bike!

Yea, most motorcycle sales reps don't 'seem' to know.

Yeah, I also almost made the mistake. In fact, the morons at the Yamaha dealership were so persuasive that it's an upgraded FZ6...but then I look at the back tire, which is 160 vs 180 on the FZ6, and I thought---wait a minute, if it's that much better, what's up with that rubber shrinkage...google saved me from making a horrible mistake! Been enjoying my FZ6 tremendously much! It's one hell of a bike!

If you're looking for a step up, what about the FZ8?

Slightly more power on paper, depending on how your insurance company works things out probably slightly cheaper than the FZ1 to insure, half faired which should make it easier to do maintenance (if you do your own work).

Other option (if you're looking for used) would be the vfr 800

If you're concerned about horsepower then go for an SS...
05/06 ZX6R is a sweet bike.

*REPOST FROM OLDER THREAD*

The fz6r is like Yamaha's red head headed step child.
But here we go
The R on the fz6r stands for reduced.
The 6r: (the bad)
makes less power than the fz6
Weighs more than the fz6 (8-11lbs)
Non adjustable suspension
No centre stand
High torque down low which sacrifice power up high
Swing arm looks like it belongs on a bicycle.
Cheaper steel tube frame & lower end suspension and brake parts
Narrow 160mm rear tire compared to the 180mm on the fz6
Looks like fz6, fz1 and the gsx 650 f child on welfare.

(the good)
Tuned for low to mid power band (mild state of tune)
Gets 8% better fuel economy compared to the fz6
Looks like a supersport without the supersport performance/ insurance rates

I'm not sure that the FZ6 is that big of an improvement over your 650R, how fast do you need to go? 650R will do 200 easily. Unless there are other aspects to the bike you don't like, this wouldn't be a huge leap.

The 650R has much more usable torque until 9000 rpm, where you will realistically spend almost all of your time.

146_0606_02_z+fun_factor_preview+torque_dyno.jpg

Last edited:
agreed - if the 650R isn't enough, just get the FZ1 or something and give the 650 to your wife. What are you doing with the TW200 btw?

FZ6R has nothing in common with the FZ6. It's a bike that directly competes with SV650 and Ninja 650, so like someone above mentioned, you'd be making a parallel move. FZ6 got replaced by FZ8. FZ6 is more of a sport touring version of an older R6, with the motor tuned for more low and mid range.

agreed - if the 650R isn't enough, just get the FZ1 or something and give the 650 to your wife. What are you doing with the TW200 btw?

Looking to sell it, although it looks so comfy and at home in our garage. Would you know any prospective buyers? I just got a red 250 CBR today :D!

Rod parked the two sport bikes snuggled up next to each other, and the poor t dub is nestled up by the side wall, all by its lonesome though :(.

you're crazy didn't you just buy 2 honda 250s

Nope. The Yamaha t dub came first. Then, Rod outgrew it n'wanted something with a bit more power. He got the Ninja 650R for a good price and I've been bootin' around on the t dub. T dub was great to start on, but now that I have the CBR 250 I'm a lot happier overall :D.

Yea, I love my 650R and might just keep it, save up and get a FZ1.

I'm not sure that the FZ6 is that big of an improvement over your 650R, how fast do you need to go? 650R will do 200 easily. Unless there are other aspects to the bike you don't like, this wouldn't be a huge leap.

The 650R has much more usable torque until 9000 rpm, where you will realistically spend almost all of your time.

146_0606_02_z+fun_factor_preview+torque_dyno.jpg

Back
Top Bottom