Lee Parks and Total Control are coming to Ontario | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lee Parks and Total Control are coming to Ontario

Interested! Just reading this forum and decided to skip the M2X from RTI and just do it from the ministry to save $ for this course.

Same here, MTO test is cheaper and I didn't see the point of an M2X course. I did the Total Control last year and I can attest that I'm now more confident and better skilled to dump my bike at higher speeds! :lmao:

Same here, MTO test is cheaper and I didn't see the point of an M2X course. I did the Total Control last year and I can attest that I'm now more confident and better skilled to dump my bike at higher speeds! :lmao:

Glad to hear the good feedback. Are you planning to do level 2 TC?

Lol... I too cancelled the M2X at RTI as it is not worth the money compared to Total Control.

Will be doing my M2X at MTO in Aurora.

All Training is GOOD training. While I agree that the Total Control is Great Training I teach all levels of Motorcycle riding from the Basic to the Total Control and many other classes.

And while I agree that the Total Control is some of the best training you can get, you all must remember that in the advanced training we do not watch or teach the basic stuff that the M2 Exit wil give you, How to interact in traffic, make good lane changes, properly use mirrors and many of the other basic things that are being taught, learned and graded in the more basic classes.

Remember that motorcycle training is like school. Total Control is your start of college, but you cannot get to college if you have not completed your grade school and high school first. And even after taking Total Control there is more to learn.

I would love to have everyone take Total Control, but make sure you have a good grasp of the basics that we can build on, to give you the skills to move forward with safety and confidence!

Last edited:
All Training is GOOD training. While I agree that the Total Control is Great Training I teach all levels of Motorcycle riding from the Basic to the Total Control and many other classes.

And while I agree that the Total Control is some of the best training you can get, you all must remember that in the advanced training we do not watch or teach the basic stuff that the M2 Exit wil give you, How to interact in traffic, make good lane changes, properly use mirrors and many of the other basic things that are being taught, learned and graded in the more basic classes.

Remember that motorcycle training is like school. Total Control is your start of college, but you cannot get to college if you have not completed you grade school and high school first. And even after taking Total Control there is more to learn.

I would love to have everyone take Total Control, but make sure you have a good grasp of the basics that we can build on, to give you the skills to move forward with safety and confidence!

Hey Outllaw. Yes I agree that all motorcycle training is good training but I have already done an M1x course and an advance rider course (RTI) last year. The advance rider course instructor was the one who recommended me to check out Total Control since I had good control of my bike and seeking advance techniques.

Now, given I've been commuting on my bike for 3 years and after two road courses I find the basic training gets repetitive. And I do know the difference what Lea Parks is offering as opposed to RTI. That's why opted to skip M2x course and go straight to MTO.

Personally an M2x course would suit those who have developed bad habits along the way and want to rectify as such. And for those who need a refresher.

I'm done with school. It's time for college!!!!

Hey Outllaw. Yes I agree that all motorcycle training is good training but I have already done an M1x course and an advance rider course (RTI) last year. The advance rider course instructor was the one who recommended me to check out Total Control since I had good control of my bike and seeking advance techniques.

Now, given I've been commuting on my bike for 3 years and after two road courses I find the basic training gets repetitive. And I do know the difference what Lea Parks is offering as opposed to RTI. That's why opted to skip M2x course and go straight to MTO.

Personally an M2x course would suit those who have developed bad habits along the way and want to rectify as such. And for those who need a refresher.

I'm done with school. It's time for college!!!!

If this was the recomendation of your instructor than you have had a professional evaluate you and give his professional advice. The Total Control Class does not require you to have any certain level of License, just a minimum of Experiance and you have more than that from your statement. I just want to make sure that others who may not have the necessary level of basics skills do not skip learning the basics to try stuff they may not be ready for.

First... I second OutlawJustice. Total Control is absolutely a fantastic course to get you to the next level, but it's not a substitute for any of the licensing courses. Total Control does not focus on whether you are shoulder checking or changing lanes properly, they don't focus on if you are checking your mirrors and showing awareness of your surroundings at all times. It's all about building with blocks.

Second.... I can tell you that Sharp Rider is looking to offer at least one weekend course in Ottawa next year. For 2014, you'll have to make the trip to Mississauga. As an added piece of information, Lee Parks is brought up every year to launch the season, so if you really want to sign up for one of the courses with him, you need to keep an eye on the website. Those classes go very very quickly.

Finally.... I really really really need for this snow to go away. I just want to ride!!!!!!

Ottawa? Let me check, Yup I have folks from Ottawa attending my April Classes....... IN NASHVILLE Tn. LOL I think that is a long way for them to go. In the mean time come see us in Mississauga, you will NOT be disappointed!

To pile on the "any training is good training" bandwagon....
There is a significant distinction that has been pointed out already but I think could be emphasized more, between a good M2 Exit program and any of the other advanced skills program. M2 Exit programs are about road skills, which is why most programs are based on the premise that during the time the rider has the M2 licence, they've been riding enough to be confident in controlling the bike. The focus then, is on how to interact and communicate safely with other road users. This is not the course to teach you threshold braking or how to scrape your smiley-face pucks - and more importantly, the ability to do either of those things doesn't necessarily mean you're competent enough to skip it.

Last season I had a student that was a very accomplished rider, competing in the XR1200 CSBK series. Others in the group asked him why he came to take the course..."Because I'm not an expert on the street."

He was still riding his Harley too (yes, of course it was for sale).

XR1200 #37 by emefef, on Flickr

Very good points supporting the importance of training and the distinction between street and advanced skills training. Along that topic, Jorge Lorenzo had instruction when he was getting his motorcycle license for the street a couple of years back.

Signed up for level 2 on May 31 :)

Very good points supporting the importance of training and the distinction between street and advanced skills training. Along that topic, Jorge Lorenzo had instruction when he was getting his motorcycle license for the street a couple of years back.

Signed up for level 2 on May 31 :)

If you get to a point when you are not learning, time to stop riding

It's APRIL!!!!! I am back from the South and the classes in Kentucky and Nashville Went great! Even the one rider who braved temps well below freezing to ride down from here!

Now time to get on track with the start of the season!

Anybody braving the heat this Saturday at the Total Control Level 1 at the Hershey Centre. I have a lot of years riding but figured it was time to upgrade or relearn some of the skill set I have lost (or never had) over the years. I have heard great things about this course and am excited about attending although I wish it was going to be a little cooler.

Anybody braving the heat this Saturday at the Total Control Level 1 at the Hershey Centre. I have a lot of years riding but figured it was time to upgrade or relearn some of the skill set I have lost (or never had) over the years. I have heard great things about this course and am excited about attending although I wish it was going to be a little cooler.

no, I did it in the rain/thunderstorms in the spring.. and yes, its worth it :) my riding changed big time as I understood a lot more of whats happening and to do with the mechanics of it all.
The book (second revision) is excellent reference. When I get my back back together and more seat time I hope to keep putting things into practice. Theres a lot to the course - not just riding in a parking lot. They cover a lot of theory and mental components to do with motorcycle riding. I need to re-read the chapter on "confidence" again after my recent accident ;-)

Enjoy your day

no, I did it in the rain/thunderstorms in the spring.. and yes, its worth it :) my riding changed big time as I understood a lot more of whats happening and to do with the mechanics of it all.
The book (second revision) is excellent reference. When I get my back back together and more seat time I hope to keep putting things into practice. Theres a lot to the course - not just riding in a parking lot. They cover a lot of theory and mental components to do with motorcycle riding. I need to re-read the chapter on "confidence" again after my recent accident ;-)

Enjoy your day

Reading the 2nd version this week. Hope to be able to get through it by Saturday. There will be some chapters that I know I will have to re-read a couple of times to get it all down (Suspension in particular). Yes I can believe the dear hit can alter your confidence. Hope your mending well. Would you consider doing a practice day once your healed up to get you back in the groove? Have you done the level 2 as well?

Back
Top Bottom