Remembrance Day | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Remembrance Day

All I know about Serbian war is from the movie "Behind enemy lines" :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I can't think of any major Eastern Front movies in English :( Long story short:

1) Austro-Hungarians got ****** off that the kingdom that operated in the area wouldn't allow to be occupied by their army as a part of a criminal investigation, so they sent in some armies anyway
2) Once those armies got their ***** kicked, they sent more armies
3) Once those armies got their ***** kicked, they offered to return some territory to the Bulgarians, that they lost in a previous war, so the Bulgarians jumped in
4) Fighting an empire and a well-stocked kingdom was a bit much for the army, the French and the English weren't sending any help, so the army retreated to Greece. (*)
5) The 1/3 of the army that survived steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 got refitted in Greece, licked their wounds, joined the French/British token forces and headed home
6) The joint force kicked some Austro-Hungarian, Turkish and Bulgarian butts and went home

(*) Note that the Austro-Hungarian and Bulgarian "soldiers" really enjoyed killing civilians.. Once you added up the numbers from the war and the war crimes, more than half the men and quite a few women in the country got killed.

My (Dad's dad) Grandfather fought with the Brits in the second world war. He never spoke about it. Dodged the issue every chance he had. I guess he just wanted to forget. He passed away a year ago taking his stories to the grave.
My next door neighbour used to fly war planes from the factory to the airfield where they would fit them with ammo. She had some crazy stories about the planes sometimes malfunctioning or konking out mid-flight and how she would fix them or land them.

My mom served in the Canadian navy. She worked in the galley feeding the sailors. She left after becoming pregnant with me.

Its weird that some people are vocal about it and others just don't want to talk about it. I guess some people just want to forget and some people just want others to know what they went thru.

There's a plaque in a park in Pickering, around where GP bikes used to be. They say they use to make mortar shells in Ajax. When all the men were off to war, the women would sometime make these shells.

They shall not grow old as we grow old, their sacrifices brought us where we are today, Lest We Forget

My Mother and Uncle both served in the Royal Canadian Navy during WW2. My mother was based in Halifax and St. Johns. By Uncle served on a Corvette in the North Atlantic.

Any of you guys get the over whelming urge to "square away" the co-workers who don't stop during the moment of silence?

That happened in my office and I was standing there white knuckled exercising self control only comparable to a dog standing over a steak dinner waiting for the release command.

Any of you guys get the over whelming urge to "square away" the co-workers who don't stop during the moment of silence?

That happened in my office and I was standing there white knuckled exercising self control only comparable to a dog standing over a steak dinner waiting for the release command.

you can not force some one to respect those that fought for us. to try to is just going to make them resentful. I usually book off the day to arrange to attend the service.

That's not really freedom the is it?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I was watching TV this morning and there was a veteran who said
"We fought for freedom and democracy, some people do not recognize this day as much as others, but that in itself is a freedom of democracy; a freedom to believe in what you want"

I think that was the most powerful thing I heard for the day

It's a shame that these brain dead scums get to share the freedom the vets fought for

My wife posted this on her fb page this morning:

Three brothers went to War & Three brothers came home. My 2 uncles & Dad were in WW2. My Dad gave my mother a broach when back from the War made by Birks Jewellers for the veterans. It is a V for victory and when my mother passed in 1997 my father gave it to me. I wear it proudly every Remembrance Day.Thanks Dad.

So I worked late today or should I say yesterday. I always wanted to pay my respects and never had the chance, so today I did.

It was great to see so many people at Old City Hall, meaning that alot of people still remembered. I brought my camera with me so I will share some pics

The 11th hour of the 11th day on 2011. This day and time was selected because it was the official end of the 1st World War.
DSCF2635.jpg

There was a few WWII planes that flew by but I missed it, I think I was a few minutes late. I was really surprised there were no 21 gun salute, lol. Where can I see the guns next year?
DSCF2634.jpg

DSCF2633.jpg

DSCF2639.jpg

DSCF2637.jpg

DSCF2645.jpg

DSCF2643.jpg

DSCF2648.jpg

DSCF2653.jpg

DSCF2655.jpg

DSCF2661.jpg

DSCF2660.jpg

DSCF2659.jpg

DSCF2667.jpg

So once again thanks to all of our veterans and...

Lest we forget

Revive an old thread to share this little bit.My 87 yr old father in law is in the hospital for a few days so Stubby and i took the opportunity to clean his apartment.His medals in his den were looking in need of a bit of tlc,so i cleaned them up a bit.I hope he isn't offended that i did it!
Before.
picture114ce.jpg

After.
picture115u.jpg

Revive an old thread to share this little bit.My 87 yr old father in law is in the hospital for a few days so Stubby and i took the opportunity to clean his apartment.His medals in his den were looking in need of a bit of tlc,so i cleaned them up a bit.I hope he isn't offended that i did it!
Before.

Do you know the significance of each medal?

I don't.It's enough for us to know that he served in France,Belgium,Holland and Germany.He was back in France near the end of his tour when the building he was in took a shell.He was trapped and dug out.There is a really good reason he doesn't talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom