Swingarm Slider Bracket Broke Off - Repair Help Needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Swingarm Slider Bracket Broke Off - Repair Help Needed

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
Crashed an '07 GSXR750 at Mosport and the slider on the swingarm as well as the factory bracket that holds it from the swingarm broke off. Looked around the crash site and couldn't locate it.
What's the best way to fix this?

Used swingarms are cheap.

Either get one of Gixxer.com or take it to a local welder guy and have him weld on a new spool bung.

Do you need it back on for a rear stand or because you want sliders on it again? For sliders get axle sliders, those little spool mounts are really not designed to be strong enough for a slider...They break off all the time, especially on your bike as they are cast into the swingarm adjustment blocks...

You can have a welder/machinest make you up a new bung and have it welded on, but it will just break off again if you use it as a slider mount...Its best you use those for rear stand spools only....And get axle sliders if you want rear sliders...

Nah it was just for the spool and that's all I need it for. I found a used swingarm for 250 but I'd prefer to save some cash and get a new peice welded back on if it can be done.

Drill out the bolts that hold the spool to the swingarm.... not too crazy, but if you do it well, the head will bust off the nut before it breaks the anchor point...

Worst design ever...

Ive had 2 different welders try to weld onto those gixxer swing arms,for the same reasons as you , to try to weld them back on....the welds dont stick all that well for some reason, apparently the material they use on that rear swing arm isnt just aluminum....from what ive been told by 2 different aluminum welders. i think you might have to go with a new swing arm if you really want to use those 2 positions for spool placements

Ive had 2 different welders try to weld onto those gixxer swing arms,for the same reasons as you , to try to weld them back on....the welds dont stick all that well for some reason, apparently the material they use on that rear swing arm isnt just aluminum....from what ive been told by 2 different aluminum welders. i think you might have to go with a new swing arm if you really want to use those 2 positions for spool placements

Sorry but your welder or welders aren't that good if they cant weld that properly, it is made of regular cast aluminum which is very hard to TIG weld, but very weldable in the right welders hands...Simply put good TIG welders can weld cast aluimnum, average TIG welders have problems with it as it is one of the most tricky types of metal to weld...

Did you V the edges of the cracks before having them weld that pieces back?

Sorry but your welder or welders aren't that good if they cant weld that properly, it is made of regular cast aluminum which is very hard to TIG weld, but very weldable in the right welders hands...Simply put good TIG welders can weld cast aluimnum, average TIG welders have problems with it as it is one of the most tricky types of metal to weld...

Did you V the edges of the cracks before having them weld that pieces back?

I had a gsxr 750 I stripped down for parts, and wanted to sell the swing arm in a "useable" state. The guy i brought it to said "I could fix that , no problem!"
when i sold the part and installed it for a guy, lets just say i was pulling it off a couple of days later to get it welded again..... the welds looked pretty good just for some reason it just seemed like the welds werent sticking , they cracked right where they would touch the swing arm..it didnt break off i just didnt trust the welds......so i had a different guy weld it ......same f'n thing. i ended up just putting a swing arm lifting kit from lightech.

And yeah both times they grinded down and both pieces and welded them.....other then that not to sure.

Do you guys weld them at your shop Johnny?

Last edited:
I had a gsxr 750 I stripped down for parts, and wanted to sell the swing arm in a "useable" state. The guy i brought it to said "I could fix that , no problem!"
when i sold the part and installed it for a guy, lets just say i was pulling it off a couple of days later to get it welded again..... the welds looked pretty good just for some reason it just seemed like the welds werent sticking , they cracked right where they would touch the swing arm..it didnt break off i just didnt trust the welds......so i had a different guy weld it ......same f'n thing. i ended up just putting a swing arm lifting kit from lightech.

And yeah both times they grinded down and both pieces and welded them.....other then that not to sure.

Do you guys weld them at your shop Johnny?

No I have a professional welder with 20+ years experience TIG welding aluminum do all my welding for me, I have tried many local so called "professional welders" with bad results on cast aluimnum before finding my current guy....And I have stuck with him since for the last 6 years now because he is the best I have found, and never has a problem welding anything I bring him. From Titanium, steel, SS, thin aluimnum like rads, gas tanks, cast aluimnum frames, swingarms, etc etc......Things other shops would say cant be welded, he welds no questions asked...

Just like everything out there, there are many people doing things professionally but the actual skill still varies from shop to shop...Cast aluimnum is always a good test of somoenes welding skills, as there is a fine line between enough heat to penetrate properly and melting away your parts....

"Not sticking" leads me to think he did not get enough penetration, basically the weld is just sitting on top of the material and not really grabbing into the material...

yeah thats what i was thinking ............if you dont mind can u pm me your welders info.......im always in need of some welding every now and then.. :)

yeah thats what i was thinking ............if you dont mind can u pm me your welders info.......im always in need of some welding every now and then.. :)

If you are in the east end Baseline Custom Fabrication in Whitby are really good, or Vance at Oshawa Precision. Never had a problem with Baseline

If you are in the east end Baseline Custom Fabrication in Whitby are really good, or Vance at Oshawa Precision. Never had a problem with Baseline
Baseline Custom Fabrication has recently moved from Whitby to Courtice (even farther out east): http://g.co/maps/3mvhg

I had a special project I needed TIG welded and they were unable to do it. I also took it to an exhaust shop that specializes in Titanium and they were also unable to do it.

I ended up taking it to Chuck at T.J. Manufacturing in Oshawa. Absolutely flawless job, did it quick and reasonable too.
http://g.co/maps/jwjem
716 Wilson Rd., S., Oshawa, ON, L1H 6E8
905-434-6658

Xtina

Thanks for the shop info. Considering I'm in Bowmanville that'll work out great.

Just curious, did you ever get the swingarm fixed and how was the weld?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom