Have you ever thought about racing? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Have you ever thought about racing?

I can remember way back, being at Shannonville with a half-decent bike and doing trackdays to see how fast I could go. I think I was still 6 or 7 seconds off a pole time for 750 Amateur..and I was a little worried about falling off at that point. And I thought, yup, I don't think I have the skills or commitment to go faster and actually be competitive. And if you're riding around 7 seconds off the pace and finishing last..what's the point? Just a moving chicane. I figured mountain bikes were a better thing for me..healthier and cheaper!! :)

Someone has to finish last.... and most don't care about winning, the atmosphere itself is enough. Yes, I want to win.. and will someday, but I'm always improving: i've learned more in a race weekend than i ever did in a track day.

I like trackdays but am not interested in racing. I enjoy going out and having fun at whatever pace I want to run on that given day, it is just a fun way to spend a day for me. I get to push myself and bike more than is reasonable on the street. I do not want or need to be in competion with anyone but myself.

Vinatege racing is the bomb :D

A green group trackday 'race' isn't really racing... It's important to learn to be passed and not freak out. Not always the other guy's fault if you think it was too close, could just be your comfort level isn't the same as his/hers.

And agreed, even if you're the slowest racer out there, Racing is still more everything than a track day is.

who and how much??
I worked with 1 rider for the entire summer, he supplied everything including bikes and beer, so I guess I worked for beer and big wheelies on his superbike :)

I'd suggest making a short list (very short) of who you want to work with and have a chat with them at the bike show in Dec.

I worked with 1 rider for the entire summer, he supplied everything including bikes and beer, so I guess I worked for beer and big wheelies on his superbike :)

I'd suggest making a short list (very short) of who you want to work with and have a chat with them at the bike show in Dec.

Who do you know to approach? Just walk up and say "can you help me go faster?"

Don't think I have the cash for that. I'm looking for someone for just a few days.

I can't speak for the other organizations but the Vintage group really is about fun. You have some vary talented people that ride motorcycles on the track that are a total hoot off the track. You will never meet a more eclectic and fun bunch. Most of us realize that it's club racing and that we are unlikely to get to any professional status outside of Canada and going to work Monday morning is real important. Caboose your not invited lol. What's up bud? Sounds like your making a desperate push for sponsorship 2012, looking forward to seeing the return of team green!

Many of our racers have no previous experience but a great attitude and a willingness to stick it out. And starting late, real late even in their 50s and 60s. Cost can be very reasonable as you can race the same bike forever -ask Brian P. Stay off the big bikes and tire expenses are pretty reasonable. All relative though, no race weekend is going to be cheaper than a game of Golf.

I always loved trackdays but I always wondered how I would stack up...

I think about it every day and night. I have my walls covered in racing posters and a bunch of little model race bikes. The thing keeping me back is money, it's probably the main thing that keeps most people from achieving their dreams

WOW-I haven't had that kind of obsession since I was 15, but it wasn't money that held me back just shyness ;)
Sounds like you will get racing soon enough Amazon, in the meantime have you considered being a marshal or working at one of the race orgs in the summer?

I can remember way back, being at Shannonville with a half-decent bike and doing trackdays to see how fast I could go. I think I was still 6 or 7 seconds off a pole time for 750 Amateur..and I was a little worried about falling off at that point. And I thought, yup, I don't think I have the skills or commitment to go faster and actually be competitive. And if you're riding around 7 seconds off the pace and finishing last..what's the point? Just a moving chicane. I figured mountain bikes were a better thing for me..healthier and cheaper!! :)

I think all racers will agree that they went faster racing than they ever did doing trackdays, so you close the gap quickly. 6 or 7 seconds off POLE! That gap would probably drop in half after your 1st or second race weekend. I guess my message to trackday people is if your holding yourself back because your TD times are xx off POLE you maybe selling yourself short, of course, assuming you want to race...
750 AM? Sounds like you could fall in love with an old Gixxer or zx7! :)

I sold my 2011 road race bike, bought an MX bike, rode it 3 times, doing my first hare scramble next sunday, lol

WOW-I haven't had that kind of obsession since I was 15, but it wasn't money that held me back just shyness ;)
Sounds like you will get racing soon enough Amazon, in the meantime have you considered being a marshal or working at one of the race orgs in the summer?

I looked into doing marshalling this year, and was going to, but then I wasn't 100% sure where'd I'd be living and ended up moving halfway through the season. I've met quite a few people who race 'cause of where I work, and a few have offered to take me out on the track and show my the ropes of mosport. Only problem is, my 599 was my only vehicle, without it I'm kinda screwed, which I'm learning right now. That and it would just be track days, never actually racing :(

money always held me back. Truth is, money still holds me back. It's only because I let it thought. There are a multitude of different ways to get on a track and start racing. At any budget. And YES, you CAN be competitive on a shoestring budget, you just have to pick the appropriate bike, and class to ride in. AM/NOV 600, or open will cost you more money than say lost era, vintage, sportsman, or twins.

I ride old junk because it fits my budget. 1 set of tires will last me 1 or maybe 2 rounds. My bike runs 87 pump gas. It ain't pretty, but it runs, and is a fantastic learning tool. I could step up and get on a more modern bike, and who knows maybe I will in the next couple years. but for me to remain as competitive on a newer bike as I am on my old junk would more than double my cost, and yes I've done the math.

I like the new bikes, but I love the old stuff. At this point in my life I have no aspirations about being the next greatest thing, so I ride what I can afford, and ride it in a class that's appropriate. I've got plenty of other things I like to do in life that require money, so racing only get's a small portion of my disposable income.

I looked into doing marshalling this year, and was going to, but then I wasn't 100% sure where'd I'd be living and ended up moving halfway through the season. I've met quite a few people who race 'cause of where I work, and a few have offered to take me out on the track and show my the ropes of mosport. Only problem is, my 599 was my only vehicle, without it I'm kinda screwed, which I'm learning right now. That and it would just be track days, never actually racing :(

Look up the Racer5 school..... you'll get to race on 125's for the weekends all gas, tires, instruction, bikes is covered (no insurance). If something happens, you'll pay as little as $5 for paint or for the cost of a part if it is unusable. Fawaz won't replace an entire stator cover just because there's a scratch on it. Sure they're 125's, but theyre very nimble and a blast to ride on.

Look up the Racer 5 school or message Fawaz and he can give you more info for the 2012 season.

money always held me back. Truth is, money still holds me back. It's only because I let it thought. There are a multitude of different ways to get on a track and start racing. At any budget. And YES, you CAN be competitive on a shoestring budget, you just have to pick the appropriate bike, and class to ride in. AM/NOV 600, or open will cost you more money than say lost era, vintage, sportsman, or twins.

I ride old junk because it fits my budget. 1 set of tires will last me 1 or maybe 2 rounds. My bike runs 87 pump gas. It ain't pretty, but it runs, and is a fantastic learning tool. I could step up and get on a more modern bike, and who knows maybe I will in the next couple years. but for me to remain as competitive on a newer bike as I am on my old junk would more than double my cost, and yes I've done the math.

I like the new bikes, but I love the old stuff. At this point in my life I have no aspirations about being the next greatest thing, so I ride what I can afford, and ride it in a class that's appropriate. I've got plenty of other things I like to do in life that require money, so racing only get's a small portion of my disposable income.

Same as Dan here: 3 weekends on a set of tires.....same gas in the fuel can runs generator and racebike,LOL....Racing old junk that in race trim, costs less than 1/4 of what a new bike costs. And you don't cry as much when you fall off old junk either,LOL You get zip ties, duct tape, and a rubber mallet, and put it back together in time for your next race.

Back
Top Bottom