Parts Canada pulls out of CSBK | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parts Canada pulls out of CSBK

We are not decades away, we will never have that kind of support.

It's not mathematically possible in this country.

Maybe we should have a WERA style season with a Grand National Final.
This way local and regional sponsorships could be satisfied. Event or rider coverage.
A National name outside the industry could be brought in for the GNF. ( Name one and approach them. This has been done successfully elsewhere.)

So you get racing associations from all over the place with their best X number of riders and compete in all the different classes that have been set up?

Not a bad idea, if you aren't going to have a national series. The only thing that would need sorting out is what classes and what is allowed in what class in terms of rules. Ideally you'd get the rules sorted out before each series even starts and make sure they are very similar across the board, then when you have a GNF style finally, you wouldn't have to worry about "Oh but he can run this and I can't run that..." sorta thing.

The only other thing that would be a bit "different" would be if say Race and SOAR both took part and you have some riders that ride in both... so if you plan for X number on the grid, then which series gets to bring in the fill-in rider.

I like it.

Another interesting idea would be if Mosport actually does get to an appropriate safety level and track surface quality acceptable to the AMA is to have a Canadian round if we do not have a national series. In the era of shrinking budgets, why not look for a N. American series with 1 Canadian stop where Canadian teams could participate in south of the border. Hopefully that would increase the number of factory teams as well. Then we can have a regional or amateur championship in Canada... and the good riders could possibly "graduate" to the AMA like their Superstock 600 program. I'd love to see kids like Christie etal given a chance in that series.

Those riders(christie, Riedmann etc) are given a chance at the AMA, the costs are just so high it's difficult to compete.

The cost of an AMA race weekend is significantly higher than a CSBK weekend.

How does it work with the Superstock class? Like the one with Huntley Nash and Elena Mayers (sp?) etc? Do they pay to ride those bikes or is there any sponsor support, so you pay a bit less to ride? Obviously Daytona Superbike (aka 600 Supersport in most places) is suppose to be more expensive, but superstock is suppose to be more affordable. I don't know exactly what more affordable means....

Also back in the day, in Supersport and Superbike the payout was pretty good going down the field, I know that has changed significantly.

How does it work with the Superstock class? Like the one with Huntley Nash and Elena Mayers (sp?) etc? Do they pay to ride those bikes or is there any sponsor support, so you pay a bit less to ride? Obviously Daytona Superbike (aka 600 Supersport in most places) is suppose to be more expensive, but superstock is suppose to be more affordable. I don't know exactly what more affordable means....

Also back in the day, in Supersport and Superbike the payout was pretty good going down the field, I know that has changed significantly.

There are very few real superbikes racing anywhere up here in Canada. Building a superstock bike instead of what I'm building might save me $1500 but we barely have enough riders to fill the grids as is. Even if there is a superstock class there are still ways to cheat. (people cheat?! no way!) The CSBK rules for Superbike are a lot different than the AMA rules. With the AMA the cost difference between building a real superbike versus a competitive superstock bike can be big bucks.

However, superstock is not The Show. The Show will always be superbike and supersport.... and the sponsorship dollars will always want to be in The Show.

The class is whatever the rules say that the class is. If that makes the bike virtually stock, except for a Power Commander, suspension, slicks, and exhaust, then that's what it is. For example look what they did with Daytona Sportbike, in the US, making bikes that really shouldn't compete together be legal for the class.

Given the current state of racing in Canada making moves to classes, that are closer to stock, isn't a bad idea. Maybe make aftermarket traction control legal, to even the playing field, and leave it at that? There's no money in the sport and, unless someone starts working hard at bringing in major sponsors from outside the industry, we're looking at some very lean years to come.

Canadian "superbikes" are already a lot closer to stock than US or World superbikes. Years back, there used to be a proper "superbike" class, and Open Sportbike, for liter bikes in supersport spec. The two classes were combined, essentially by using the supersport rules for bike preparation but allowing the use of slick tires, and the result was called "superbike" even though it's more like "open supersport" or "superstock" or whatever you want to call it. Real superbikes went away at that time. This was done already at that time in order to reduce costs.

I see no easy course of action for what to do now, if national-level roadracing is to have a future.

Back
Top Bottom