2010 ZX10R Superbike Build | GTAMotorcycle.com

2010 ZX10R Superbike Build

caboose56

Site Supporter
Some of you might be interested in following along with my off-season build. I picked up a dismantled 2010 10R out of the US (everything except bodywork and a frame) for a bargain and got some help from Kawi Canada with a leftover frame from their race program. As it sits I'd be able to put together a mostly stock 10R (with the race bodywork i already have) for right around $3000. Definitely off to a good start.

The bike came with a Jardine RT5 slip-on. It's actually not a bad pipe, the midpipe that comes with it bypasses the boom box. I'll be using the stock header but I'll be gutting the cat that is in the collector.

Here's what i have on the shopping list so far.

- Ohlins shock. TTX or PRXLS
- Attack triple clamps
- Ohlins valve kit for forks. The 10R forks are actually pretty good in stock form. I don't feel like a 25mm or 30mm cartridge kit is requried.
- Woodcraft clipons and case covers
- Vortex rearsets. There are nicer sets available but the Vortex ones work well, and spare parts are plentiful.
- PowerCommander V with Auto-Tune and quickshifter.
- Samco rad hose kit and Cox rad guard
- A123 cell battery
- Accossato master cylinder along with Spiegler brake lines and a brake pad upgrade of some sort.
- 520 DID ERV3 chain set with PBI sprockets
- Rifleman's 1/5th turn throttle insert

That's the bulk of it. I imagine I'm missing a few items though. For now I really have no intention of going inside the motor. I do plan on keeping the bike for a few seasons so reliability is important. And realistically, there are so few people racing liter bikes that I'll still have a big horsepower advantage on most other bikes.

Stay tuned for updates.

IMG_0196.jpg

GEDC0823.jpg

subscribed

you picked that up nearly everything for $3k? good deal, did the border guys have a hayday? Hate to say it, but that price seems suspiciously low. Hope it wasn't someones stolen ride. Keep us posted on the build!

everything was legit. seller provided the vin from the bent frame, checked out fine. customs didn't look twice and the receipt just said "motorcycle parts". a bit strange since it was all in the back of my car and with the tint under the canopy you can't see anything in the back. meh

Hurry up with the build, the pics above is what those things look like when I'm done with them and I'm looking forward to returning it to it's natural state.

did you make your own rear subframe or did it come like that?

Hurry up with the build, the pics above is what those things look like when I'm done with them and I'm looking forward to returning it to it's natural state.

Ya I have a titanium plate and 9 screws in my shoulder simply because my bike thought i was you. ;)

did you make your own rear subframe or did it come like that?

OEM 2-piece subframe.

Nothing very exciting to report. I'm still waiting on a few small parts that are holding me up. Not in a big rush tho. I'm hoping to have a bulk of the go-fast goodies either on the floor next to the bike or on the bike by Christmas.

A few other build notes:
Lots of parts being removed. Servo motor, cables, butterfly valve already gone. Rad fan, coolant reservoir, keyed gas cap and keyed ignition will be removed. I'll run a smaller overflow reservoir under the ram air duct and i'll make it a keyless ignition system. The rubber blankie on the top of the motor is gone, horn, horn braket and LH handlebar controls are gone. RH passenger peg bracket will be replaced with an Evotech exhaust hanger. I know it will be heavier than my 04 but I'm hoping she'll weigh in at around 370lbs without fuel.

New air filter!

GEDC0827.jpg

........;-) Tim, better you than me ....... thou something tells me he's not trough with me.... :-(

I think he's like Herpes.. let him destroy something once and he keeps flaring back up to destroy something else.

Got a little bit more done today. The ECU is mounted to two tabs on the undetail. A tad annoying, since I have no need to use for the tail light and the Armour Bodies tail section will cover the bottom of the tail I cut apart the undertail.

Wiring harness is mostly secured in place now. Finally got my stupid swingarm collar so it's almost in place now. I have to pick up this thing tomorrow:

http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/b...cessories/motorcycle_tools/axle_hex_tool.html

It'll be handy for the front axle and the motor mounts and swingarm pivot bolt. Once the pivot is installed and torqued properly i can bolt the shock in place.

It's been interesting putting together a bike I am unfamiliar with. Figuring out where things go (wiring harness mostly). There's a few small parts i am missing and still need to order but nothing major so far.

GEDC0831.jpg

GEDC0832.jpg

GEDC0833.jpg

let me know if you need a hand with anything. I'll drop off your laptimer soon. haha

I used a bolt with 2 nuts jammed together onthe end instead of buying the tool. If I remember correctly it doesn't require alot of torque.

I've done that before but the tool also covers me for the front axle plus the swingarm and motormounts. Changing wheels a few times a weekend, I'm willing to invest in the tool.

I wouldnt diddle around with revalve kits and such for the front, itll cost $6-700 for that when an amazing ohlins 30mil nix kit is $950 and ready to drop in (yourself).
Ive done it both ways and i think the cartridge kit is way nicer stuff. ( plus you have a cartridge kit to resell when you move on. )

I wouldnt diddle around with revalve kits and such for the front, itll cost $6-700 for that when an amazing ohlins 30mil nix kit is $950 and ready to drop in (yourself).
Ive done it both ways and i think the cartridge kit is way nicer stuff. ( plus you have a cartridge kit to resell when you move on. )

Ok. There are several guys riding around with black numbers that do it.

Back
Top Bottom